Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

A few things: 1) I got a couple of nasty charley horses in taper, too. Don't know what that's about, but wanted you to know you're not alone and (probably) not broken. 2) You mentioned you felt a little stiff after one of your runs. Also happened to me during taper - I felt clunky all week. 3) I know it's going to be hot, but you'll be out there early and you've trained in all kinds of weather. You'll rock it.

Cheering for you from the east! Can't wait to hear about it, and hopefully see pictures of that finish line hug!

I've gotten that kind of insane calf cramp up before too and it's usually at night. I've had it actually wake me up in the middle of the night. I don't know why they hit like that sometimes, but they hurt and sometimes even leave my calf sore for a day or two.

I've gotten that kind of insane calf cramp up before too and it's usually at night. I've had it actually wake me up in the middle of the night. I don't know why they hit like that sometimes, but they hurt and sometimes even leave my calf sore for a day or two.

It happened when I lifted my knee up to like scoot my big booty off the side of the bed. I probably "flexed" or something and my calf didn't like it. Thankfully it was a one and done (I hope.) My leg muscles are just probably too powerful for this world :confused3

I think you are both pretty much losing it before your big races, but it's making me laugh so I'm enjoying this! :)

Hey roxymama, did you post an outfit for this weekend and I missed it?

There's so many disboarders in taper land right now and we can't be held responsible for our gifs!!!

Haven't posted my outfit yet but maybe I'll do that later tonight. I'm currently typing from my treadmill cause I just finished my run. Fun fact: I'm sweaty and gross even though this was a baby run.

It's the Philly Phanatic!!! Yayyy! That one made me laugh a lot.
Good vibes being sent your way for no more leg cramps and cooler weather for race day.
I used to get a lot of calf cramps in the middle of the night, but since trying to eat a banana a day (or every other day), I haven't had one in months (fingers crossed). Could be the potassium, could be coincidence? Not sure!

It's the Philly Phanatic!!! Yayyy! That one made me laugh a lot.
Good vibes being sent your way for no more leg cramps and cooler weather for race day.
I used to get a lot of calf cramps in the middle of the night, but since trying to eat a banana a day (or every other day), I haven't had one in months (fingers crossed). Could be the potassium, could be coincidence? Not sure!

Good call...off to find a banana :) :banana:

Good call...off to find a banana :) :banana:
YESSS! I also sometimes count a slice of banana bread or a banana nut muffin for my ~daily banana intake. I guess I need to branch out with recipes incorporating the banana, but I do sneak them into cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, etc etc.
:banana:
DH is not a fan of the banana. He feels very strongly about this. They...err...bind him up. He would be so mad if he knew I just told y'all that. If you ever meet him, don't mention the banana thing.

I'm not sure I'll be on tomorrow.... so welcome to my disboard meme debut.

Good luck Sunday!!
images

Enjoy the expo!
images

This will be you:
images

And couldn't go without posting about the weather... I hope it's the coldest hot weather ever.
images

And the last one....
upload_2017-9-22_9-10-59.jpeg

Enjoy the race weekend!! Try not to fret too much about the heat, control what you can control and the weather isn't one of them. :) I know you'll do great and I'm excited to hear how it goes! GO ROXYMAMA GO!!!

YESSS! I also sometimes count a slice of banana bread or a banana nut muffin for my ~daily banana intake. I guess I need to branch out with recipes incorporating the banana, but I do sneak them into cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, etc etc.
:banana:
DH is not a fan of the banana. He feels very strongly about this. They...err...bind him up. He would be so mad if he knew I just told y'all that. If you ever meet him, don't mention the banana thing.

Bwahahaha! My lips are sealed!

I'm not sure I'll be on tomorrow.... so welcome to my disboard meme debut.

Good luck Sunday!!
images

Enjoy the expo!
images

This will be you:
images

And couldn't go without posting about the weather... I hope it's the coldest hot weather ever.
images

And the last one....
View attachment 271499

Enjoy the race weekend!! Try not to fret too much about the heat, control what you can control and the weather isn't one of them. :) I know you'll do great and I'm excited to hear how it goes! GO ROXYMAMA GO!!!

OMG! Is it possible to be crying from laughing and being sappy at the same time? Yes, it is. A+ meme work! I'd give you a medal for your memes if I could. And I think we can all agree that I have deep psychological issues at this point.

#BlameItOntheTaper

(On a side note, I HAVE to try the new maple pecan latte from S'bucks. I will report back.)

How did I not know about this???? I've had the maple pecan flavor from dunkin so now I need to compare. I think I know what my treat should be on Sunday after I survive my half!!!! Please let me know if it is worth the trip.

@DopeyBadger Question for race morning: Since it's gonna be real hot out would it be best not to do a warmup like I did at my first half, so that I keep my core temp down? I plan on trying to hover at 10:00 for many miles out the gate to gauge how I feel (as you suggested earlier.) Since I'll be in almost the back corral-wise, I'll be standing in there for probably 30 minutes (6:45am corral close + ~15 min wait after 7am for crossing the start.)
Just starting to really think about every last minute detail now.
Or should I get an easy 6 min yog in?

@DopeyBadger Question for race morning: Since it's gonna be real hot out would it be best not to do a warmup like I did at my first half, so that I keep my core temp down? I plan on trying to hover at 10:00 for many miles out the gate to gauge how I feel (as you suggested earlier.) Since I'll be in almost the back corral-wise, I'll be standing in there for probably 30 minutes (6:45am corral close + ~15 min wait after 7am for crossing the start.)
Just starting to really think about every last minute detail now.
Or should I get an easy 6 min yog in?

Don't warm-up with a run. You'll likely raise your core temp more than it would be beneficial to prime the aerobic system. I'd say treat the first few minutes of the race like a WU (not saying go at WU pace, but rather comfortable pace). I'd agree that a starting pace of 10:00-10:10 is probably a good idea. Much easier to pick up the pace at the end of a hot run, then it is for it to become a suffer fest because you went too fast. Given the temp, lack of heat acclimation, and relative sunniness of the course - I'd say caution on early pacing will win the day.

Don't warm-up with a run. You'll likely raise your core temp more than it would be beneficial to prime the aerobic system. I'd say treat the first few minutes of the race like a WU (not saying go at WU pace, but rather comfortable pace). I'd agree that a starting pace of 10:00-10:10 is probably a good idea. Much easier to pick up the pace at the end of a hot run, then it is for it to become a suffer fest because you went too fast. Given the temp, lack of heat acclimation, and relative sunniness of the course - I'd say caution on early pacing will win the day.

Got it!
I think I may also try to get a non-caffeine gel at the expo (if they have the Clif brand that I do well with) so that my first gel isn't caffeinated. Since I've read that it can lead to dehydration if you take too much caffeine in hot weather. I will probably save my lightly caffeinated one for the later miles and leave my double espresso one at home. I've got one of those cooling towel things that I need to track down in my house for a pre-race neck cool off too. And I'm probably going to take a cool shower before we leave and not dry my hair. So much to think about!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!