Route from the Fort to MK?

Disneychick75

DIS Veteran
Posted this in Transportation but had not seen this forum.
Years ago, we stayed in a cabin and the route to MK parking was easy. Now, it looks like we have to go completely around to the entry turnstiles? Is this correct or is there a turn along the way which leads to the parking lot? Thanks so much!

Disney has a big construction project currently underway building road fly-overs and rerouting existing traffic patterns to make what you asked about very difficult.

Their goal is to force anyone parking in the MK lot to have to come through the MK Toll booth and pay (now in your case since you are staying on property you wouldn't pay but you would still have to go through the toll booth). They are pushing a lot of dirt around and pouring a lot of pavement to make this happen. There is an exit off World Drive as you approach the Toll Booth that allows people to go to the MK Resorts (GF, Poly, Contemp) but there is no access to the MK Lot via this route. If you are on it and intend to park at the MK lot, you have to head for the exits out past the gas station and car care center and they have a return lane on the left side for you to make a 180-degree turn and head back to the Toll Booth. The old return lane on the left at the gas station that used to take you to the MK lot is no more.

I guess so many people were avoiding the parking fee (locals coming in the back way, folks driving in past the Fort entrance) that they decided to make this change. So the answer is you still can drive to the MK lot and not pay as an on-site guests but you have to go well out of your way to do so which I guess is what you saw.

Do you have a concern about using the internal bus system to get to MK? You can catch a bus to WL from the Settlement Depot at the Fort down by Trails End and transfer at WL to their MK bus. Or use the boat of course.

Bama Ed

PS - we bus/boat to MK and drive to the other three parks.

Boat all the way.

Never used the bus, though I have heard rumors that one existed.

That construction is a big mess, but I was glad to see the off ramp for those of us staying at FW to keep us from having to go through the booths.

We have used the bus a couple of times. Fog one morning so bad the boats were not running. We have also used the bus to return when we stay late at the park, and the boats have stopped running.

We're not fans of the bus system. The kids might like the boat. Then , when they get tired, we can call Uber or a taxi. Thanks everyone!

Boat all the way.

Never used the bus, though I have heard rumors that one existed.

That construction is a big mess, but I was glad to see the off ramp for those of us staying at FW to keep us from having to go through the booths.
Hate going through the toll booths with the camper.... Ugh!:crazy2:
Maybe because I have to take it out of warp drive. :D

Do you have a concern about using the internal bus system to get to MK? You can catch a bus to WL from the Settlement Depot at the Fort down by Trails End and transfer at WL to their MK bus. Or use the boat of course.

Bama Ed

PS - we bus/boat to MK and drive to the other three parks.

I would echo this advice. There is very little circumstance that would mandate driving to MK from the Fort. We drive almost everywhere when we are there (and often even to MK from other resorts), but the process of parking, getting to the TTC, loading a monorail or boat, etc... is a far longer journey than taking an internal bus to the Settlement and jumping on the boat. We have done many trips to many resorts, and found that the Fort boat to MK was by far the best transportation service of them all.

We felt like it was easier to boat to the Contemporary and catch one of their busses to AK or HS, or take the monorail to Epcot.

We felt like it was easier to boat to the Contemporary and catch one of their busses to AK or HS, or take the monorail to Epcot.

I can see the monorail in some cases (although the dependability of those in recent years has left a lot to be desired). But, what did you find appealing about adding a boat and transfer to a bus? In what ways did you find that better than simply hopping on the Fort bus to those parks?

I can see the monorail in some cases (although the dependability of those in recent years has left a lot to be desired). But, what did you find appealing about adding a boat and transfer to a bus? In what ways did you find that better than simply hopping on the Fort bus to those parks?

We were on the 100 loop. We preferred an open air boat ride and then a bus transfer rather than a bus to bus transfer. We used the internal FW bus twice and it was extremely long waits and rides around all the FW loops. To each their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter