Round The World In 28 Days

Day 27

We woke up to our last sea day. I could not quite understand where the cruise had gone. In the end, it had gone quite quickly. We got up and went to the Windjammer for some breakfast. It was Mother’s Day in the USA and Australia that day and they had some special foods for breakfast. I had some beef strip loin; poached eggs and some kind of omelette on toast. I also helped myself to some chocolate-covered strawberries. Graham had his usual porridge and poached eggs on toast. After breakfast, we went to morning trivia for the final time. Then we went back to the cabin to get the packing out of the way. With the packing done, we picked up our cameras as we wanted to take some photos around the ship. Soon it was lunch time and I really wanted one last Tutti salad so we went down to the dining room. Unfortunately half the ship seemed to have had the same idea and there was a huge line extending all the way to the photo gallery. We had one look at this and decided that this was not worth it.

We spent some time in the Viking Crown Lounge and then recommenced our walk around the ship. When they started to serve afternoon snacks, we went to the Windjammer. I had steak fries with chilli beef, guacamole and an empanada. Graham had a fairly traditional afternoon tea with sandwiches and scones. We then had the look at the artwork in the stairwells. Of all the Royal Caribbean ships I have been on, I was the least impressed with the selection of art work on this ship and I did not take many photos. At some stage We retired back to the Viking Crown Lounge for a rest and I had a drink of the day, which was called White Rose and consisted of Absolute Vanilla vodka, white Crème de Cacao and white chocolate. This was very sweet, but delicious.

After our break we went to the photo gallery to check the photos one last time. The photographer who had taken the photos that were still missing was on duty that afternoon and she managed to find them. The issue had been that they were taken on 1st May and as there had been two of those, the computer had got confused. I was glad that we managed of sort this. We then went back to the cabin to fill out the luggage labels and the customs form. There was a parade on the Royal Promenade, which I wanted to see. Graham was not interested in this and stayed in the cabin. The Royal Promenade was packed, but there was a little alcove overlooking it not far from our cabin and I watched from there. Once this was finished, I went back to get Graham and we explored the stateroom decks. We had noticed some interesting display cases on our deck with artefacts from various parts of Africa. We wanted to have a closer look at them and also check out what was on the other decks. Essentially each deck represented a different continent. This was very interesting and very well done.

Neither of us fancied going to the dining room that night. So once we had checked out all the display cases, we went up to the Windjammer. Graham had some seafood and vegetables and I had pasta with sauce. Then we went outside for a bit to enjoy the evening. I got quite chilly and decided to go down to the shop to get the sweatshirt I had looked at earlier and got the keychain as well. This still has not been attached to my keys. I was however thrilled that an XL sweatshirt fit my very comfortably even over a different top and I put this on straightaway. When I got back upstairs to join Graham, we went up to deck 12. There is an outside area on deck12 aft, that is normally used for youth activities, but with next to no children on board, this was accessible to everybody. We headed there and were actually treated to the best sunset we had all cruise.

Once the sun had gone down, we went back inside. In the aft elevator lobby on deck 12, they had a moving sculpture. I think if it is working properly, a mechanical golfer hits the ball and this then travels around the display case before being hit by the golfer again. They had worked on this earlier in the cruise, but they still did not manage to fix it. There was plenty going on and I was absolutely spellbound by this, but the golfer kept missing the ball.

We briefly went back to the cabin to put our luggage out and then we went to the R Bar one last time. I went down to the photo gallery at the time I had been told to pick up my USB drive with my photos. I was surprised that they were not particularly busy. I said goodbye to the photographers that were there and then re-joined Graham. We had some wine each and then I got the cocktail that I liked so much the previous evening and took this to the Star Lounge with me.

We had seen something called The Liar’s Game in the Daily Compass and were intrigued by this. So we decided to go along for this. We got there quite early and the band was playing. They were actually really good. Then it was time for the game show. I know there was a TV programme in both the USA and the UK in the past called Call My Bluff were three celebrities had to give a definition of an obscure word, one of which was correct and the other two were entirely made up. This was the same kind of thing and it was hilarious. Instead of three celebrities, they used three members of the cruise director’s staff and the presenter was the activities manager. At times, I was laughing so much, I had tears streaming down my face. I am definitely glad we made the effort.

After the show, we went back to our cabin and checked one last time that we had packed everything. I took a quick photo of the cabin and then we read for a while before getting some sleep.

Finally caught up! Love your dresses and jewelry! Great score on the drink upgrade!

Boo on the last sea day but looks like another fun and relaxing day.

Jill in CO

Day 28

We had set our alarm for 8:00 as we were supposed to meet to get off the ship at 8:30 and we had nothing to do before then. We got ready and packed the last odds and ends into our hand luggage. Then we left our cabin for the last time. As soon as we got down to deck 5, we realized that we were not getting off anytime soon as they still had not called groups that should have left over an hour ago. So we went to the Cafe Promenade for some pastries. Graham had a normal coffee and I had a Caramel Macchiato. We were listening out for announcements, but they were very difficult to hear so I periodically checked a nearby screen. Once we were done with our breakfast, we went out onto the Royal Promenade were we actually could hear the announcements and soon afterwards our group was called. We went to the Star Lounger and they took us down to the theatre where we went in on one side, walked through the theatre and came out on the opposite side. There was quite a long line to get off the ship and into the terminal. Once we got there, the process was pretty smooth. All of our luggage for once was in the same area and we did not have long to wait to clear customs. We were then directed to the queue for the airport transfers. That is where it all went ever so slightly pear shaped. For some reason they had trouble getting enough buses to the port. We waited about an hour in total, but then we were on our way. I had heard afterwards that the wait for taxis was even longer.

The trip from the port to the airport did not take very long and we got there in plenty of time. Check in was very quick and smooth and we got two seats together. We then headed through security. When we got to the security line, we were sent elsewhere which I did not really understand, but we got in the next line we came across, which did not seem any shorter. It was only later that I noticed that we both had TSA pre-check and that we were supposed to go to the line for this. We ended up in another standard line, but it took us only about 20 minutes to get through. We then went on the little train to the satellite terminal from where our flight would be departing. They are currently refurbishing this and there was not a great deal there, but I managed to get us a cup of coffee and a sandwich each. I got Graham a ham and cheese sandwich and I had an Italian meat sandwich. Graham read for a bit and I made good use of the free Wi-Fi. While we were waiting for boarding to start, an Emirates plane pulled in at the next gate along so I took a photo.

Soon we started boarding and we needed to alert the gate agent to the fact that we still had the green forms in our passports. Of course, they don’t see them nowadays and did not quite know what to do with them. Then it was time to board. What followed must have been the worst ever flight we have experienced. Lufthansa uses an old Boeing 747 on this route and they must have put some additional seats in. I think a sardine can would probably be spacious compared with this aircraft. What did not help either was that in the row in front of us was a mother traveling on her own with multiple children and she obviously did not cope with this. She had a boy who was probably 4 or 5 and throughout the flight, he was not just standing up on his seat, but jumping up and down on it. Considering that there was no legroom to start off with, the back of the seat kept hitting Graham’s knees. At some stage, he spoke to a member of cabin crew about this and she could not have cared less. I was really surprised by this as this surely must have been a health and safety issue. Because of what was happening, Graham did not even attempt to have dinner. He did not miss anything either. I have had airline food of varying quality, but this was inedible. I am not even sure what this was supposed to be. It had the texture and taste of sawdust. One forkful and I was done.

The only positive aspect was that they were showing the most recent episode of a German TV series that is based on a cruise ship. As long as I can remember there was always a new episode between Christmas and New Year and I grew up with this. I was delighted to get the chance to watch this. As sleep was out of the question, I spent the rest of the flight playing computer games. I was very glad when we landed in Frankfurt.

That part of the journey went perfect. Frankfurt is a huge airport and normally if you are transitting, you have to go through security again. This time round, as soon as we got off the plane, they had members of staff with boards with flight numbers and destinations on them. Our connecting flight was one of them and we ended up being directed through some back door and ended up directly in the gate area for our final flight. We sat down and I used the Wi-Fi again, but it did not take long until boarding commenced. This was a quick and smooth process and we were on our way again slightly ahead of time. The legroom on this flight was more generous and the cabin crew was more switched on. Once we were at cruising altitude, we were offered drinks and either a savoury snack or a piece of lemon cake. We both had the cake, which was nice. I napped for a bit and soon were back where we had started this adventure. We had gone once round the world in 28 days.

Things worked like clockwork. We did not have long to wait for an immigration kiosk and our luggage arrived shortly after we got to the luggage carousel. We walked over to the station and got our tickets and when we got to the platform, a train to the city centre was about to leave. It did not take us long to get home. We put our luggage into the living room and then we got some well-deserved rest.

Too bad the flight wasn't great but what an amazing trip! Someday I hope to have that much time off work in a row!

Jill in CO

Day 24 sounded full and tons of fun :)

The Cluedo scavenger hunt sounds fabulous! I absolutely love that game.

Love the blue dress, it is very flattering.

Glad you were able to escape the complainers at dinner.

Also glad you were able to see the ice show again. Very pretty.

The last sea days sounded lovely as ever. The grass and rock area up top looked quite nice.

Thank you for sharing this trip with us :)

Oh my about your first flight home. Glad the second one was better and you got home smoothly.

I’m very impressed you finished this before leaving. Safe travels and I hope you have another amazing vacation :)

Too bad the flight wasn't great but what an amazing trip!

It truly was.

Someday I hope to have that much time off work in a row!

This was a one off for me, too.

The Cluedo scavenger hunt sounds fabulous! I absolutely love that game.

I love the game , too and this was a lot of fun.

Love the blue dress, it is very flattering.

Thanks.

Glad you were able to escape the complainers at dinner.

So was I. We seem to attract them.

I’m very impressed you finished this before leaving.

Graham and I have a deal. I cannot go on a trip before I finished the trip report for the previous one.

Safe travels and I hope you have another amazing vacation :)

We did. I am hoping to get started on the trip report for this about a month from now.

Corinna

I wish all of you and your loved ones a magical Christmas. I have just over half an hour left to work and then I am off until the afternoon of the 27th. This is only the second Christmas I have off in 12 years and I am not quite sure what to do with myself.

Corinna

I read this after you left and I guess I failed to comment as I probably read this from my phone. I've finally resolved myself that I'm not going to have time to comment from my computer anymore so I'm just replying from my phone.

How amazing that you traversed the world in one trip and that you had a 28 day vacation! I don't know if I could be away from the kitties that long, but you had some amazing experiences in some exotic locations!

How nice that you have Christmas Day off. Will Graham be home to spend it with you? I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Hpoy New Year!

I read this after you left and I guess I failed to comment as I probably read this from my phone. I've finally resolved myself that I'm not going to have time to comment from my computer anymore so I'm just replying from my phone.

I think I may have to start doing this, too.

How amazing that you traversed the world in one trip and that you had a 28 day vacation! I don't know if I could be away from the kitties that long, but you had some amazing experiences in some exotic locations!

This really was an amazing adventure. Graham calculated the other day how much distance we have covered since we started cruising and it is the equivalent of going 6 times round the world. That is pretty impressive.

How nice that you have Christmas Day off. Will Graham be home to spend it with you? I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Hpoy New Year!

Yes, Graham was home from December 22nd until tomorrow.

Corinna

Hi Corinna. Long time lurker. First time ever posting. Love your trip reports. Thank you for all of the hard work which you put into them. One comment. I noticed on Graham's cold cut plate from breakfast a hidden mickey in a piece of cheese and just had to comment. Cheers from Canada!!! Ross

I saw this too and went wild, YES! I am a hidden Mickey lover. Great job yet again your trip report Corrina, I have been so busy with new grand baby care that I am just getting back into reading reports and found this gem! Bravo

I saw this too and went wild, YES! I am a hidden Mickey lover.

That is so funny. I was completely oblivious to this until people start to point this out.

Great job yet again your trip report Corrina, I have been so busy with new grand baby care that I am just getting back into reading reports and found this gem! Bravo

I am glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reading along. Enjoy your time with the grand baby. They grow up way too quickly.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts