Rope-drop strategy update + park pics

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Alright, folks. For the past two Sunday rope drops, we've been told that the only way into Fantasyland was to go the long way around near Alice/Matterhorn. However, the previous Sunday, unbeknownst to us, the passage on the left side of the castle was open and as we rounded into Fantasyland, there was a stream of 30-40 guests ahead of us. We hadn't been told that the passage was open. So this Sunday, we went to the left side of the castle at around 7:45 and asked the CM at the rope if the passage was open. He assured us, unequivocally, that it was not. OK. CMs must know what they're talking about. So we took him at his word and went back to the right side -- the only route to Fantasyland. As far as we knew.

At 8:00, we walked with determination towards FL. But it looked liked people from the left side were headed towards the castle. I paused and reconsidered for a moment. But then a nearby CM pointed me back in my original direction. Again, the CM knows the score so I took direction from her.

As we rounded into FL, once again we saw about 30 people as they streamed in from the left-castle passage. Alright. The first time I accepted it. But this time we were assured that the left side was not open. So going forward, I will presume that CMs know nothing about the passage status and head that way irrespective of what we're told. I suggest all good readers do the same.

On to other DL issues, the scoring on Buzz was one hundred times better than last week (only one of my twelve scores came through to the photo kiosk then. If a pic comes through with no score (even if you score 2M) you won't be able to claim credit for it.). Last Sunday about ten of twelve scores came through. However, I extend zero benefit of the doubt to that attraction any longer. A few months ago, it seemed that they'd fixed the problem. But then in another week or, it reverted to its abysmal score flow-through rate.

As many of you have seen in a separate thread, I left DL around 2:30 and headed straight to the Grammys. I write for a music magazine here in LA, which I love, so I often get to go to cool events like this. At an audio engineering awards show a few years ago, I got to go backstage and sit next to Quincy Jones, perhaps the most famous producer in the world. Indeed, he produced Michael Jackson's Thriller. Anyway, that's why I got to go. I've already posted the Grammy pics in the thread mentioned above. But for the benefit of those who missed it, I'll post them again below.

Not much else of consequence to report. Enjoy the pics!

First in the park!
IMG_8461.JPG

First in the park (still)!
IMG_8462.JPG

IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8469.JPG

The new castle scrim. I think it looks great!

IMG_8470.JPG

Also the new castle scrim.
IMG_8471.JPG

IMG_8482.JPG

buzzlightyear.k3.2019041090340.eng.JPG

buzzlightyear.k3.2019041093120.eng.JPG

IMG_8490.jpg

Last edited:
Grammy pics below. But before that, I got to interview famed guitar wizard Steve Vai at his home studio this morning! He's one of my favorite guitarists, was super cool and it was a great interview. He began his career with Frank Zappa, later played with David Lee Roth and then embarked on a successful solo career. His house -- his estate, really -- was massive. I was in awe. His palatial front yard was like an immaculately manicured park. The guitars behind us all belong to him and decorate one wall of his studio but he actually has many more. If you're unfamiliar with Steve, checkout "Hand on Heart" here:

Rob and Steve Vai.JPG

IMG_8494.JPG

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8505.JPG

IMG_8509.JPG

IMG_8513.jpg

IMG_8515.jpg

P.S. Treats!
IMG_8483.JPG

Last edited:
So I'm unfamiliar with the DL rope drop process and the different paths. Are you held in the Hub area, or further back on Main Street? If in the hub, and the CM "guarding" the entrance to the left side said it was not open that is very strange. Also, if the one on the left side is open, is it possible the one on the right side (but still left of the Matterhorn/Alice path) is as well? It's hard to tell from the Disney maps that either of those paths actually lead back into FL and I've only been once so I don't remember taking any path other than Alice and straight through the castle. If heading to Alice, is taking the left path still shorter?

Is that what the front of the castle looks like right now??!! Or is that the back?

Wow-- thanks for the intel as always (and great pics). That's an amazing tip, but this risk/reward is anxiety-worthy:

1) From photos/videos I've seen, the castle path, still has a sign that reads "...use Big Thunder Trail or Matterhorn parade route" (even thought it's been open). It seems like overnight construction changes could close the path and it would be a major bummer/dead-end. Then you are behind many more than 30-50 people as you backtrack to Matterhorn side. Any thoughts on this?

2) I've seen others ask with no responses yet-- is the path open for Early Entry? I'm not sure it would help much, as the marathon begins further back, and I refuse to run.

To answer one above re: the path by Snow White/Wishing Well
I saw a Youtube video next to the wishing well, and this side looked completely closed-- meaning walls and scrim all the way past the castle opening (but wishing well was still open).

What... to... do??!

Wow-- thanks for the intel as always (and great pics). That's an amazing tip, but this risk/reward is anxiety-worthy:

1) From photos/videos I've seen, the castle path, still has a sign that reads "...use Big Thunder Trail or Matterhorn parade route" (even thought it's been open). It seems like overnight construction changes could close the path and it would be a major bummer/dead-end. Then you are behind many more than 30-50 people as you backtrack to Matterhorn side. Any thoughts on this?

2) I've seen others ask with no responses yet-- is the path open for Early Entry? I'm not sure it would help much, as the marathon begins further back, and I refuse to run.

To answer one above re: the path by Snow White/Wishing Well
I saw a Youtube video next to the wishing well, and this side looked completely closed-- meaning walls and scrim all the way past the castle opening (but wishing well was still open).

What... to... do??!
I was there for early entry on Thursday the 7th. It wasn't open. The first few of us arrived at Peter Pan from going around by the Matterhorn, and zero people were coming from any other direction.

The next day at rope drop with no MM, I saw people running in the direction of the left pathway, but I don't know for sure if they got through. I was hurrying to Alice by going next to the Matterhorn.

Out of curiosity...what time do you arrive to get that far forward and be first in the park? Just wondering if it's possible that I could do that as a solo tripper this month?
My/our arrival time depends on what time the park opens, of course. But generally, we make a point to be at the front of the line. Then I walk with intention to be ahead of everyone else. Most of the time I'm able to grab these pics. About one time out of ten (give or take), some joker -- almost always an adult -- runs ahead and ruins the pic. Certainly you should be able to do it as a solo tripper. Hope you have a great time! When is your trip?

Has there been any indication when the castle will be done and reopened?

My/our arrival time depends on what time the park opens, of course. But generally, we make a point to be at the front of the line. Then I walk with intention to be ahead of everyone else. Most of the time I'm able to grab these pics. About one time out of ten (give or take), some joker -- almost always an adult -- runs ahead and ruins the pic. Certainly you should be able to do it as a solo tripper. Hope you have a great time! When is your trip?

I'm flying in on Tues the 26, will be hanging out a bit at DTD and then plan on Wed, Thur and Fri in the parks. CAN NOT WAIT!! So, would you say that you usually arrive an hour prior to park opening?
I think it's so much easier to get around solo, even compared to when I take my older kids. Teenagers walk soooooo slllloooowwww....Bahahaha!!!

So, would you say that you usually arrive an hour prior to park opening?

Have a great time! Solo park visits are awesome. If you’d like to be the first in the park, then it’s advisable to arrive at least an hour prior to park opening. But if don’t have to be the absolute first, an hour is ample time.

I’m almost always there on Sundays. If you’ll be there on one of them, I’m usually at the rope 45 seconds after the gates open, if you’d like to say hello (many people from the board do :-)).

Have a great time! Solo park visits are awesome. If you’d like to be the first in the park, then it’s advisable to arrive at least an hour prior to park opening. But if don’t have to be the absolute first, an hour is ample time.

I’m almost always there on Sundays. If you’ll be there on one of them, I’m usually at the rope 45 seconds after the gates open, if you’d like to say hello (many people from the board do :-)).

Sadly, I will be back in Canada by the Sunday....But thanks for the offer! And thank you for the info!

I'll be there on Sunday, March 3rd. I'll say hi if I spot you.

This morning at MM they let people through the left side. Peter Pan was with them so maybe he’s the trouble maker? We still beat them though, they were coming through when we were entering the queue for Peter Pan.

This morning at MM they let people through the left side. Peter Pan was with them so maybe he’s the trouble maker? We still beat them though, they were coming through when we were entering the queue for Peter Pan.

Interesting. Which way did you go? The long way near Alice/Matterhorn? If so, I'm impressed that you beat the left-siders ;-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter