Rope Drop at DL

julesann

DIS Veteran
I know that sometimes rope drop happens at the turnstiles and sometimes it is near the hub. Is there a way to predict with any certainty which place it will be--does the location of rd have anything to do with whether or not it is a magic morning at DL?

I wanna know too...we’ll be going on a Saturday but don’t have MM, so I am curious where we’ll go too!

the last documentation that I have read here and other sites that encourage trip reports, it has least been over three years since anyone has had a turnstile entry into Disneyland that has been documented. Not to say that turnstile entry does not happen, but I have yet to read a trip report in the last threes years that has had such entry. Beautiful would be the morning to have a turnstile entry, it would bring back photo opps for families in the front of the castle. You never realize how precious Disneyland photos are til that part of Disneyland is gone.

I had a turnstile entry for a 7:00 MM in August, 2015, but that's the only one I've experienced (once I knew a thing or two about how to tour and discovered that there are Strategies). There are different places for hub ropes, though. There's the top of Main Street, when everyone is held behind one rope, and then there are the ones where each land has its own rope. I experienced both of these on our last trip three months ago.

They probably have it at the hub for safety. I can't imagine the crazed zombie mob that would be sprinting down Main Street to be first onto Peter Pan if they would do it at the gates.

I had a rd at the turnstiles two years ago and I couldn't remember if it was MM or not--it was really challenging to get to PP so this is what I was wondering about. Good news that it tends to always be at the hub (as far as PP anyway).

I had a turnstile entry for a 7:00 MM in August, 2015, but that's the only one I've experienced (once I knew a thing or two about how to tour and discovered that there are Strategies). There are different places for hub ropes, though. There's the top of Main Street, when everyone is held behind one rope, and then there are the ones where each land has its own rope. I experienced both of these on our last trip three months ago.

There's one other kind of RD that I've experienced: where the rope is just before the draw bridge of the castle. I think they should do it that way all the time. It cuts down the distance and dash to and for PP.

There's one other kind of RD that I've experienced: where the rope is just before the draw bridge of the castle. I think they should do it that way all the time. It cuts down the distance and dash to and for PP.
Yeah. The turnstile entry (on a MM day when we were booking it to PP at opening) was BRUTAL. That distance is WAY longer than it seems.

How long ago was that? I have never seen it done that way-though I obviously do not get into the parks as frequently as you do.

Last edited:
How long ago was that? I have never seen it done that way-though I obviously do get into the parks as frequently as you do.
About seven or eight months ago. There have been other times -- but not in the last two or three years -- where the rope is at the hub but a Cast Member waits just at the castle entrance. He or she stops guests there and says that he/she is the start of the line for Peter Pan. This is a great idea but I haven't seen it in a long time. I wish they'd do it regularly.

I have seen that a few times as well, the CM walking people to PP, they should do that every day. I have seen it for Space MTN. a few times and HM around this time of the year.

Update: Last week I had two magic morning rope drops at DL. Thursday morning was at the hub but Saturday was at the turnstiles--it was quite a sprint...well fast walk to get to PP. The line for PP started at the ride both mornings.

I’ve done rope drop at DL when there’s no MM and when there is. It’s always been at the hub.

Seconded. I haven't done a turnstile entry in quite some time.

Now: as to how to determine which it'll be, -- turnstile or rope drop -- I'm told that it's solely a function of how many CMs are working on the day in question. If there are fewer, it'll be a turnstile open. If more, it'll be a rope drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter