• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rooms w/o balconies?

MBW

Mouseketeer
Are there resort rooms w/o balconies, and can they be guarenteed as a medical accomodation? When we were last at Disney, we stayed at OKW in a 2 bedroom on the first floor, so it didn't matter. This time, however, we're looking at the WL and a number of Epcot resorts (BC/YC & BWI) and as they are more vertical, all seem to have balconies. That would be a disaster for my fearless, climbing autistic 5 year old.

They do have first floor rooms at all those resorts (but the easy access out the patio might be a problem if you have a runner who can open doors).

I think all the rooms above 1st floor have balconies, although there may be an occasional one where there is no space for a balcony.
Maybe someone else knows or knows if any of the resorts have a higer lock on the french door out to the balcony. I think I remember having one of those when wee stayed at YC.
You could try the Special Needs phone number and see if they can help you: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

were the doors to the hallways. Our kids couldn't manage the deadbolt on the french doors, but the "regular" doors are very easy to open. Which makes sense, I suppose, in case of fire.

The kids could "flip the flipper lock":)...I know some parents have bought the safety alarms that you hang from the door handle...

Like Sue suggested, I would give WDW a call.

:sunny:

I think that there are rooms at BC without any balconies. There are also rooms with very small balconies but those might be even more enticing for a climber.

The YC is known on these boards for having balconies or patios for all rooms. However, I have seen some windows on the YC without balconies but those might be in suites.

Not sure about WL although it certainly appears that most rooms have balconies.

There are longhouses at the Polynesian that have no balconies on the entire second floors. All of the original longhouses were designed that way. However, those rooms do have sliding glass doors and a railing. If your child is strong enough to slide open the heavy door, you would still have the same problem

I agree about calling and asking the kind people in Special Needs.

There are a couple of non-suite rooms at the BC that don't have balconies. Just a window. The view is terrible, the back of the facade. We got one once when we checked in at 3:00am. IF we had been staying more than one night I would have refused it.

I'd call special services and ask them to make sure you get a ground floor room.

Anne

There are a couple of non-suite rooms at the BC that don't have balconies. Just a window. The view is terrible, the back of the facade. We got one once when we checked in at 3:00am. IF we had been staying more than one night I would have refused it.

I'd call special services and ask them to make sure you get a ground floor room.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter