Room Service "Cake of the Day"

I’m mostly an anti-cruise dessert person because everything is some variation of gelatinous goo. I’m a texture girl. I don’t like the gelatin-infused things. Those wee little “cake” squares? Those are sad little naked dried out petit fours. There is no proper slice of an actual cake. I don’t even much care for the prized soufflés everyone goes bonkers for in Palo. That’s just a mini dish of sweet molten lava goop. On a rare occasion I’ll get the soufflé and wave-off the poured accoutrements (which always garners a gasp & much confusion). Kinda a light cakey thing in the dish but not so flavorful. My go-to cruise dessert would be a dish of fresh berries. Or on occasion a Mickey bar but I’m not very into ice cream.

A proper slice of an actual cake. Not a 2” nekkid petit four. Light, fluffy layers of cake with amazing fillings between layers and covered in a generous layer of buttercream frosting. I’d be in hog heaven if I ever found it in a cruise ship.

I’d order one of the special order cakes but... on another cruise line I had a specialty cake and it was dry with zero flavor. It had obviously been frozen at some point.... and I’ve spent $!$!$ ordering the custom cakes from Disney resort bakeries TWICE. Both times the cake wasn’t much to write home about. Pretty bland. And to hear others gush on & on about those cakes just hurts my heart. If that’s what they call good I know I could move the heavens for them with a cake I make. I look at those special order cakes on the ship and I’m just not confident enough to do it.

Lack of decent cruise desserts works out for me in the end. The scale isn’t as angry at me when I get home. ;)

I’m mostly an anti-cruise dessert person because everything is some variation of gelatinous goo. I’m a texture girl. I don’t like the gelatin-infused things. Those wee little “cake” squares? Those are sad little naked dried out petit fours. There is no proper slice of an actual cake. I don’t even much care for the prized soufflés everyone goes bonkers for in Palo. That’s just a mini dish of sweet molten lava goop. On a rare occasion I’ll get the soufflé and wave-off the poured accoutrements (which always garners a gasp & much confusion). Kinda a light cakey thing in the dish but not so flavorful. My go-to cruise dessert would be a dish of fresh berries. Or on occasion a Mickey bar but I’m not very into ice cream.

A proper slice of an actual cake. Not a 2” nekkid petit four. Light, fluffy layers of cake with amazing fillings between layers and covered in a generous layer of buttercream frosting. I’d be in hog heaven if I ever found it in a cruise ship.

I’d order one of the special order cakes but... on another cruise line I had a specialty cake and it was dry with zero flavor. It had obviously been frozen at some point.... and I’ve spent $!$!$ ordering the custom cakes from Disney resort bakeries TWICE. Both times the cake wasn’t much to write home about. Pretty bland. And to hear others gush on & on about those cakes just hurts my heart. If that’s what they call good I know I could move the heavens for them with a cake I make. I look at those special order cakes on the ship and I’m just not confident enough to do it.

Lack of decent cruise desserts works out for me in the end. The scale isn’t as angry at me when I get home. ;)

It's such a shame that DCL has cheapened out their cake of the day - back in 2010 it was honest to goodness cake (layers of cake and filling with icing). Fast forward a couple of years and yes, they had changed over to that gelatinous stuff - a cheap mix that they just add water, pour into a pan and chill.

It's such a shame that DCL has cheapened out their cake of the day - back in 2010 it was honest to goodness cake (layers of cake and filling with icing). Fast forward a couple of years and yes, they had changed over to that gelatinous stuff - a cheap mix that they just add water, pour into a pan and chill.

The “cake” they make now is just so sad. It’s almost a crime to even refer to those dried little squares as cake.

The few times I've ordered, I got either a layer cake (chocolate or vanilla) or a pound cake.

That looks delicious. The other description -- UGH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter