Room Service "Cake of the Day"

goofeypete

Earning My Ears
Very excited for our upcoming, first time cruise on the Magic.
One of my favorite desserts is layer cake. I haven't noticed layer cake featured on any menus except room service- Cake of the Day. Has anyone ever ordered a slice? Any idea what types they feature? Tia.

I was expecting nice slab of layer cake - that’s not what I got. I got one of those tiny 2x2 inch dessert dishes from Cabanas with a chocolate mousse sort of dessert.

Definitely not what I’d call “cake.”

There's a good variety of cakes (but they are very small portions) at Cabanas during lunch. I'm sure you could find something you like. My favorite is the chocolate hazelnut roll. The tiramisu is also yummy.
I was thinking there was "celebration cake" or something like that in Animator's Palate.

yeah i'm not so sure some of these are "southern" - I moved from Ohio to Georgia and the only 'new' dessert I've encountered was Buttermilk Pie.

I moved to Ohio(north of Columbus) from the South. I'll send you some Buckeye candy, if you send me some good barbecue ribs!!:)

When I was a kid I'd make an individual size fried pies with my mom. Make your pie dough, cut it into rectangles, make your pie filling and put some in 1/2 of your rectangles. Cover each rectangle with another rectangle of pie dough, seal good and then fry in oil. After it's done frying, sprinkle with sugar. I don't know if these are considered Southern pies, don't they have these everywhere? Now I want some pie!!

Maybe real southerners

Ahem!!!! I may live in FL now, but I am from the South! Thank you very much. :rolleyes1

Yes, fried desserts or fried ANYTHING are certainly popular in the south. But we were talkin' 'bout "Cake of the DAY", here, ya know? :D

yeah i'm not so sure some of these are "southern"

Well, I s'pose we could find a food anthropologist, like Alton Brown used to have on his original show, "Good Eats". I mean, if one wants to get all fussy, I guess ya'll could say cornbread isn't southern too? Because my ancestors, the Native Americans, had something like "hoe cakes" they made from maize (corn). The origins of lots of foods many consider southern would come from somewhere other than the southern U.S. But one would be hard pressed to find the luscious height of layers and delectableness in those same foods, that are now treasured in the south. Being a good Southern cook was just something I was expected to be, like there was no option. :cutie: And I am thankful for that! Because I do LOVE to cook for my loved ones!

Buckeye candy,

My former MIL made a version of this yummy candy, fully dipped in chocolate and we call them the oh-so-elegant name: Peanut Butter Balls. :joker: I'm expected to make a truckload of them most Christmases. :-)

In the early days of DCL, the cake of the day was usually a layer cake or cheesecake or something similar. Almost like it was easier cakes to bake and they were learning how to bake. Now they are leftover Cabanas desserts. I think Key Lime pie is a staple on the room service menu.

As for the celebration cake, it is my most favorite dessert on the ship that isn't in Palo. It normally is the last night but lately have seen it in the dinner rotation during the week. Layers of yellow cake, cheesecake, strawberries, buttercream and a custard layer. All my favorites in one dessert. Always get two! Yummy

Ahem!!!! I may live in FL now, but I am from the South! Thank you very much. :rolleyes1

Yes, fried desserts or fried ANYTHING are certainly popular in the south. But we were talkin' 'bout "Cake of the DAY", here, ya know? :D

Well, I s'pose we could find a food anthropologist, like Alton Brown used to have on his original show, "Good Eats". I mean, if one wants to get all fussy, I guess ya'll could say cornbread isn't southern too? Because my ancestors, the Native Americans, had something like "hoe cakes" they made from maize (corn). The origins of lots of foods many consider southern would come from somewhere other than the southern U.S. But one would be hard pressed to find the luscious height of layers and delectableness in those same foods, that are now treasured in the south. Being a good Southern cook was just something I was expected to be, like there was no option. :cutie: And I am thankful for that! Because I do LOVE to cook for my loved ones!

My former MIL made a version of this yummy candy, fully dipped in chocolate and we call them the oh-so-elegant name: Peanut Butter Balls. :joker: I'm expected to make a truckload of them most Christmases. :-)
Love Good Eats reference! Such a great show!

As for the celebration cake, it is my most favorite dessert on the ship that isn't in Palo. It normally is the last night but lately have seen it in the dinner rotation during the week. Layers of yellow cake, cheesecake, strawberries, buttercream and a custard layer. All my favorites in one dessert. Always get two! Yummy
Oh, this cake is in the dining room, not the pre-order cake?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter