Room request I didn’t request

I’m potentially missing something, but if you get connecting rooms, couldn’t you just not use the connecting feature? On our last trip, we were in a room that had a connecting door, but we obviously didn’t use it because we didn’t know the family in the other room. If you get connecting rooms, just don’t use the connecting door. I’m not sure it’s even worth worrying about.
I'm with you. We traveled many times with my parents. And always requested connecting rooms.

We left the door closed until we were ready for visitors, they did the same. Sometimes we would open our door first, sometimes they did. Same thing if one of use was doing something that needed privacy, like changing clothes. The person needing privacy simply closed the door.

But either way, it was nice because in the evening I could put our son to bed, then we could go next door and plan cards with my parents.

Well, your room is going to be next to someone else’s. There’s no way around that. Were the rooms booked together or as part of a wedding block or something?

Well his dad is very religious and does not drink/ go out etc. I didn’t like the fact he would know when we would come home usually drunk as we we 24 and went on bar crawls. Or knock on our door in the morning (it wouldn’t have happened if we were across the resort). For some reason everyone’s rooms but our 3 we spread out across the resort.

Well his dad is very religious and does not drink/ go out etc. I didn’t like the fact he would know when we would come home usually drunk as we we 24 and went on bar crawls. Or knock on our door in the morning (it wouldn’t have happened if we were across the resort). For some reason everyone’s rooms but our 3 we spread out across the resort.

That’s not the same situation as the OP described, though. Not liking your room location isn’t the same as having a request on the reservation you don’t want.

If you book a room at the same hotel as someone else, the chance always exists that you’ll end up next door to one another. In your case, I’m wondering if there was a large group there before you that had actually wanted rooms together. They checked out, and the room assignor needed those 3 rooms as part of the wedding block you were in. You just had the misfortune of being assigned to one of them.

Even without the request, the chance exists that the OP will end up next door to the other family members, and there may even be a connecting door. I’m not sure how good the chance is, but the chance does exist.

Now I remember why I didn’t want to call! There system stinks!

Went through the whole automated process then they say after this call please take the survey. On hold for 5 minutes, then get disconnected. Then on hold again for another 5 minutes. Then she tells me since it’s through a travel agent she needs to transfer me again to the help desk, and I get disconnected again. Going to email my travel agent before I call again.

Now I remember why I didn’t want to call! There system stinks!

Went through the whole automated process then they say after this call please take the survey. On hold for 5 minutes, then get disconnected. Then on hold again for another 5 minutes. Then she tells me since it’s through a travel agent she needs to transfer me again to the help desk, and I get disconnected again. Going to email my travel agent before I call again.

If you booked with a travel agent, they need to call. They own the reservation so they have to handle it. Don't bother trying to call again.

If you booked with a travel agent, they need to call. They own the reservation so they have to handle it. Don't bother trying to call again.

I did I spoke to her, she is going to adjust. I’m just annoyed with the system 5 minutes of prompts and then disconeted before I even get a person :( ... oh well hopefully resolved now!

I don't understand why parties traveling together like to have connecting rooms either. When we went on our DCL cruise we traveled with one of my best friends and his wife. He was genuinely hurt when he asked if I thought we should get connecting rooms, and I said no. It is hard to explain to someone that after spending all day together you may need some space without hurting their feelings. I don't need my family or friends to hear if me and DW are venting about something that happened with our friends, or are fighting or are having a really good time in our room. If it is strangers, I couldn't care less.

I’m potentially missing something, but if you get connecting rooms, couldn’t you just not use the connecting feature? On our last trip, we were in a room that had a connecting door, but we obviously didn’t use it because we didn’t know the family in the other room. If you get connecting rooms, just don’t use the connecting door. I’m not sure it’s even worth worrying about.
It’s a big problem if the people on the other side of the door don’t know the meaning of the word, “boundaries”. I’ve already told our travel agent not to request a connecting room with my daughter and her bff. They deserve personal space from us.

I don't understand why parties traveling together like to have connecting rooms either. When we went on our DCL cruise we traveled with one of my best friends and his wife. He was genuinely hurt when he asked if I thought we should get connecting rooms, and I said no. It is hard to explain to someone that after spending all day together you may need some space without hurting their feelings. I don't need my family or friends to hear if me and DW are venting about something that happened with our friends, or are fighting or are having a really good time in our room. If it is strangers, I couldn't care less.
I like connecting rooms when there are little ones that need to sleep early. the adults can hang out together and still be able to hear if there is a child that needs something.

It’s a big problem if the people on the other side of the door don’t know the meaning of the word, “boundaries”. I’ve already told our travel agent not to request a connecting room with my daughter and her bff. They deserve personal space from us.
But all you have to do is close your door.

And if they are obnoxious and they knock time after time, say something.

No. They don't assume anything, plus requests are never guaranteed.
In my experience at WDW, they DO assume things (though requests are not guaranteed).

Since 2012, I’ve taken trips to WDW with extended family (sisters, brother, parents). We each make our own resort reservations but link to each other in our MDE accounts. Every trip but one, when we each had different room views at POR, we have been given connecting and adjoining rooms. We have never, ever requested such rooms.

My sisters and I are ok with connecting rooms (we adhere to the ‘just open your side of the door when you’re ready to socialize’ rule). My brother and parents DO NOT adhere to those rules and are not good connecting room neighbors.

Prior to our trip last August, having experienced connecting rooms with family when I HAD NOT requested such rooms, I called our resort and specifically requested not to have a connecting rooms with certain members of the group we were connected with in MDE (my sisters did the same). We also noted that we were fine being in different areas and on different floors from everyone else in our party. None of us requested connecting rooms. WDW honored our requests not to connect with our parents or brother last trip BUT one sister and I had connecting rooms. And the other members of our party were either in an adjoining room or directly across the hall.

Disney does assume in my experience!

Edited to add: I know for a fact that my parents did not request connecting rooms… Because they are not tech savvy, and I use a separate MDE account to make their reservations for them and handle their room requests for them. My brother makes his own Disney room ressies for our family trips, but I can guarantee that my sister-in-law (who actually does the online work such as finding fast passes etc.) does not request adjoining rooms with her in-laws. Disney just assumes that we want to have rooms near the other b/c we link our accounts and coordinate ADRs and fast passes, etc.

Last edited:
Going to email my travel agent before I call again.
Respectfully, that should have been your first move.
It is hard to explain to someone that after spending all day together you may need some space without hurting their feelings.
You could try something like, "We're thinking about you. After spending all day together, you're going to want time away from us!"
We each make our own resort reservations but link to each other in our MDE accounts.
Maybe don't link reservations? Room assignments aren't easy. Pop Century, for example, logically averages 400 room turnovers per day. I was there one trip when they processed over a thousand. Room Assignors are going to be looking at/for key words, not reading each reservation in depth.

Respectfully, that should have been your first move.

You could try something like, "We're thinking about you. After spending all day together, you're going to want time away from us!"

Maybe don't link reservations? Room assignments aren't easy. Pop Century, for example, logically averages 400 room turnovers per day. I was there one trip when they processed over a thousand. Room Assignors are going to be looking at/for key words, not reading each reservation in depth.

If you don’t link your accounts you can’t book FP for everyone, so I have the accounts linked so I could book everyone’s FP’s

Can you unlink the reservations after you book FPs? If not, I guess each multiple-room party has to decide which is more important.

That’s not the same situation as the OP described, though. Not liking your room location isn’t the same as having a request on the reservation you don’t want.

If you book a room at the same hotel as someone else, the chance always exists that you’ll end up next door to one another. In your case, I’m wondering if there was a large group there before you that had actually wanted rooms together. They checked out, and the room assignor needed those 3 rooms as part of the wedding block you were in. You just had the misfortune of being assigned to one of them.

Even without the request, the chance exists that the OP will end up next door to the other family members, and there may even be a connecting door. I’m not sure how good the chance is, but the chance does exist.

This. The only way to be 100% sure it won’t happen is to book your room at a different resort and just set meeting times at parks or Disney Springs or a neutral resort for dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter