Room Problem. Should I request some points back?

herrmannpt

Mouseketeer
We checked out of the Poly yesterday. Had a studio booked for one night. Arrived around 3:45 to an extremely hot and musty room. Called the front desk requesting to be moved, but they had no other DVC studios available. They said they would send maintenance for the AC and housekeeping for the smell. I was planning to nap my 6 yo then because we’d been up so late for MNSSHP the night before and we’re attending the later luau that night. With the maintenance people, that nap never happened and she fell asleep during the luau, missing the best parts. Maintenance decided AC couldn’t be fixed quickly so they moved us to a club level hotel room. That was a lovely gesture, but in reality we weren’t able to make much use of the lounge with our luau and plans scheduled the next day. The room was fine but no split bathroom and honestly the DVC studios are nicer. Bell Services also lost our daughter’s dining plan mug out of the side of her backpack in the transfer, which was a big hassle to get replaced. We are at AKV now since we’re doing a split stay. Do you think I should be speaking to someone about getting a few points back for our hassle and interruption to our vacation?

In my opinion since they were able to move you to another room fairly quickly, you shouldn’t ask for points back. Plus you were only there for one day, the lack of two bathrooms was just a minor inconvenience. You also got into your room before 4pm so I don’t think it was that much of a hassle or interruption since as a DVC owner, you knew it was a possibility not to get into your room until well after 4 so the nap might not have even been possible.

Not sure about points back but they might be able to comp your daughter's ticket to the dinner or something.

Don’t call for room changes. Go to the front desk. Calling the “front desk” doesn’t get you there.

Since they moved you relatively quickly and to a club level room, I would say no. Had you had to STAY in that icky room, then YES, I would have personally spoken with the FD Manager and asked them for compensation. They are able to start the process for points refunds if warranted.

I'm also in the camp that says no to requesting points. I think how a hotel responds when there is an issue really dictates the compensation due. I think in this case they placed you in a comparable room with the upgraded amenity of club access. Unless the switch took 3 hours, I think they came through pretty well. It stinks it threw off the nap schedule which had a trickle down effect to the luau, but I think the Poly did a pretty good job of accommodating you and your family.

Unexpectedly, things break at home, hotels, resorts etc. DVC's responsibility to you as a guest is to remedy the situation, any way possible, as quickly as possible, be it a repair and/or a move if need be. Sure, things didn't go as planned, but Disney was proactive in taking care of you and your stay, so were it me, there's no need for compensation.

I’d think it doesn’t hurt to ask and at least get something back for the cost of dinner. Don’t know that I’d push it but I’d at least ask.

Weird the mug was a problem. At the Poly, one of our boys lost their mug. We asked at the front desk if they had it in lost and found, and the comped us a new mug, instead.

It does seem like they stepped up to resolve the room issue as promptly as they could. Which was certainly their responsibility. Not sure if the lack of nap/dinner is really there issue. I think it is a stretch seeing that you could of just had your child sleep in that morning to ensure proper rest for that days activities.

I guess it can't hurt to say something, but I wouldn't expect anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter