Room Organization

octoberblonde20

Earning My Ears
December 14 day trip is coming up fast- I’d love to know your tips for keeping your room clean and organized- especially in the new pop rooms. We are opting out of mousekeeping bc I’m all about that $$$!!! Pictures would be great too!! TIA!!!!

Haha, well we make our beds first thing! (we also opt out of mousekeeping). We try to have a place for everything, i.e. umbrellas, ponchos, sunblock, chargers, and water bottles go on the table, sunglasses and belts on top of the dresser, purses and hats up above the coat hanger area. I keep a plastic bag for dirty laundry in my suitcase after I’ve unpacked into the dresser.

I’ve read some other good tips like using a pop-up laundry hamper or an over-the-door shoe organizer for toiletries etc., don’t usually have space in my carryon for those but could be useful.

In the past folks have mentioned over the door shoe hangers for storing items but now with the new Pop rooms you don’t have door with an “over”. Barn and pocket doors only now.

I took 3 collapsible boxes from the dollar store for random items on the dresser and vanity.

Always take a pop up hamper (with Tinkerbelll on it of course).

We took our trash down with us every other day and placed in the garbage can we walked past on the way to the busses.

Towels were taken to the pools towel return every three-ish days.

Beds made every morning which kept the clutter feeling to a minimum.

We always use the ironing board as additional table space. Fits right between the dresser and vanity area wall. I certainly don’t need it for ironing while on vacation.

When we needed something we just called for it ie. soap, coffee, fresh towels etc.

The new rooms have tonnes of storage space. Organization won’t be a problem.

In the past folks have mentioned over the door shoe hangers for storing items but now with the new Pop rooms you don’t have door with an “over”. Barn and pocket doors only now.

I took 3 collapsible boxes from the dollar store for random items on the dresser and vanity.

We took our trash down with us every other day and placed in the garbage can we walked past on the way to the busses.

We always use the ironing board as additional table space. Fits right between the dresser and vanity area wall. I certainly don’t need it for ironing while on vacation.

When we needed something we just called for it ie. soap, coffee, fresh towels etc.

I believe pool towels are laundered differently than room towels. Room towels should not be placed in pool towel baskets.

Always! Even for multi-week international trips. But it’s just my husband and myself, no kiddos to have to pack extra stuff for : )
Us too! You only have to have the airlines lose your luggage once to decide checking bags isn't for you, lol.

I am one of those who can't feel "settled" or comfortable until our bags are unpacked and everything is organized. We also do either a pop-up hamper or bring an extra large garbage bag from home to put all of our dirties in. We also use packing cubes for our suitcases -- that way you can just place the cubes in the drawers (and the cubes are already organized by bottoms, tops, etc) and everything stays neat and organized. I also always insist that no one overpacks -- which is admittedly harder to do with my D now that she's 16 and has been in charge of her own suitcase for a while -- but we wear our bulkiest shoes on the plane and then pack one pair of flip flops and an extra, lighter pair of sneakers each to rotate out with the heavier ones. We also designate drawers and closet space for each of us, and also space in the bathroom. I hate clutter, so I have this amazing travel toiletry bag that I got from Pottery Barn about 11 years ago that has designated pouches for makeup and hair brushes, and zippered sections for makeup brushes and other odds and ends like Q-tips, Band-Aids, and toothpaste. Everything fits neatly inside of it, and it's about the length and width of a sheet of notebook paper, and it can stand up on the side to take up less room. My H and D don't do as good of a job of putting their toiletries away, which annoys me to no end...they tend to leave them spread out on the countertop and then I have to fuss at them to put them away or risk housekeeping spraying Windex all over them. And as others have mentioned, I designate places for everything and make sure it's all put away/hidden somewhere because I hate the look of a beautiful hotel room cluttered with random "stuff"...and I find that having the packing cubes for our clothes helps free up drawer space for stashing things like umbrellas, chargers, sunblock, etc. Probably goes without saying, but I also always have my H stash the suitcases on the top shelf of the closet so I don't have to look at them again until it's time to pack and go home.

Speaking of suitcases...I swear I don't have any affiliation with them whatsoever...but a company called "Away" makes the most incredible hard-sided suitcases that have a charger built in that you can pop out and take to the parks with you to recharge your phone. They are seriously awesome. I know they're not the only company who makes them, but theirs are quite affordable compared to similar ones, they hold so much stuff, clean up really easily, and they come in really fun colors! The 3 of us all have them now...originally I bought one for H because he travels on business a lot, but I loved it so much that I ended up buying them for D and myself as well.

Bags are unpacked and everyone gets a drawer for their clothes. Outfits are folded with a shirt/shorts and undergarments/socks/pajamas are stacked. Toiletries are also put into a drawer. Each night that days clothes are folded neatly and put into one suitcase. I would never use a laundry hamper to deal with a pile of clothes at the end of the trip. Packing dirty clothes usually leaves room in a bag for souvenirs. I also DO NOT do laundry while on vacation. During the day ALL VALUABLES ARE LOCKED IN BAGS and the room is always neat. This system works for us at WDW and anywhere else.

Us too! You only have to have the airlines lose your luggage once to decide checking bags isn't for you, lol.

I am one of those who can't feel "settled" or comfortable until our bags are unpacked and everything is organized. We also do either a pop-up hamper or bring an extra large garbage bag from home to put all of our dirties in. We also use packing cubes for our suitcases -- that way you can just place the cubes in the drawers (and the cubes are already organized by bottoms, tops, etc) and everything stays neat and organized. I also always insist that no one overpacks -- which is admittedly harder to do with my D now that she's 16 and has been in charge of her own suitcase for a while -- but we wear our bulkiest shoes on the plane and then pack one pair of flip flops and an extra, lighter pair of sneakers each to rotate out with the heavier ones. We also designate drawers and closet space for each of us, and also space in the bathroom. I hate clutter, so I have this amazing travel toiletry bag that I got from Pottery Barn about 11 years ago that has designated pouches for makeup and hair brushes, and zippered sections for makeup brushes and other odds and ends like Q-tips, Band-Aids, and toothpaste. Everything fits neatly inside of it, and it's about the length and width of a sheet of notebook paper, and it can stand up on the side to take up less room. My H and D don't do as good of a job of putting their toiletries away, which annoys me to no end...they tend to leave them spread out on the countertop and then I have to fuss at them to put them away or risk housekeeping spraying Windex all over them. And as others have mentioned, I designate places for everything and make sure it's all put away/hidden somewhere because I hate the look of a beautiful hotel room cluttered with random "stuff"...and I find that having the packing cubes for our clothes helps free up drawer space for stashing things like umbrellas, chargers, sunblock, etc. Probably goes without saying, but I also always have my H stash the suitcases on the top shelf of the closet so I don't have to look at them again until it's time to pack and go home.

Speaking of suitcases...I swear I don't have any affiliation with them whatsoever...but a company called "Away" makes the most incredible hard-sided suitcases that have a charger built in that you can pop out and take to the parks with you to recharge your phone. They are seriously awesome. I know they're not the only company who makes them, but theirs are quite affordable compared to similar ones, they hold so much stuff, clean up really easily, and they come in really fun colors! The 3 of us all have them now...originally I bought one for H because he travels on business a lot, but I loved it so much that I ended up buying them for D and myself as well.

We must be related!!! I’m always thinking if I leave something out it’ll get sprayed with cleaning solution!! Thank you!!!

Bags are unpacked and everyone gets a drawer for their clothes. Outfits are folded with a shirt/shorts and undergarments/socks/pajamas are stacked. Toiletries are also put into a drawer. Each night that days clothes are folded neatly and put into one suitcase. I would never use a laundry hamper to deal with a pile of clothes at the end of the trip. Packing dirty clothes usually leaves room in a bag for souvenirs. I also DO NOT do laundry while on vacation. During the day ALL VALUABLES ARE LOCKED IN BAGS and the room is always neat. This system works for us at WDW and anywhere else.
I’ve always brought a hamper but I may try this this time- it would probably save a ton of space Spenc
i may try packing up our dirty laundry this time- I’m sure it does save space on the way home.

I’m for sure bringing Clorox wipes so I can clean up- even considering breaking down my swiffer so I can touch up the floors-

I’ll be bringing the collapsible baskets for sure! That’s a great idea.

I do not opt out of housekeeping, but my family does tend to share space, adn I cannot stand a mess. I do not do laundry on vacation, so I keep a laundry bag in my large suitcase and as clothes are used they get placed in that bag. The suitcase is standing upright in the closet, with that portion of the zipper open. I keep most of the toiletries in a cloth handle carrier that has pockets along the sides, and it gets stored on the top of the suitcase after I am through with it. My daughter and her family use a pop up hamper, but I think it is more work than it is worth.

All the clothing is unpacked and stored, either in drawers or the closest. I pack all the unders, bathing suits, etc in plastic storage bags, so it is a breeze to take them out of the suitcase and place them in drawers. Anything I hang has my wire hangers ready so I toss them at the end of the trip.

Shoes are on the floor of the closet or lined up near the dresser by the basket. Books etc are in the bedside stand.

I bring a strip power thing and it lives on the table, all devices are usually there.

I have a package of plastic closepins to hang wet suits.

Most of the souveniers are packed away as we purchase them.

We put used towels either in the hamper if there is one, or im the bathtub. If I see mousekeeping I usually bring them to the cart. I cannot satnd wet things anywhere .

We never leave the room without at least straightening the beds. I know mousekeeping is going to take care of it, but I can see the room better if the beds are straight.

I use packing cubes, so any clothes that can stay in those do, and I just slide them into the drawers. I have a hanging toiletry bag, so most things stay in that. I bring extra hangers along, as there is never enough. Dirty clothes go back into the suitcase.

I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do differently this trip, as we are switching resorts after 4 nights.

We recently discovered the BIG XL Ziplock stand and fill bags. These are awesome for dirty clothes and we just cram those into empty suitcases at the end of the trip. I have a hanging toiletry bag that is very helpful.

I have a small bin that we hold buttons and stickers and other things we collect along the way on trips.

I always unpack my clothes. I can't stand digging in a suitcase even on short trips.

I use packing cubes, so any clothes that can stay in those do, and I just slide them into the drawers. I have a hanging toiletry bag, so most things stay in that. I bring extra hangers along, as there is never enough. Dirty clothes go back into the suitcase.

I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do differently this trip, as we are switching resorts after 4 nights.

On our split stays we pack according to the hotel. That way we don't even open up the suitcases for the second part until we get there.

We recently discovered the BIG XL Ziplock stand and fill bags. These are awesome for dirty clothes and we just cram those into empty suitcases at the end of the trip. I have a hanging toiletry bag that is very helpful.

I have a small bin that we hold buttons and stickers and other things we collect along the way on trips.

I always unpack my clothes. I can't stand digging in a suitcase even on short trips.
I’ll look for those!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter