Room Occupied Madness

Cheyflan

there's a great big beautiful tomorrow
We are currently staying at French Quarter. I was under the impression that with the room occupied signs they came into your room if they had cause, which is fine by me. They knocked and came in yesterday annoucing themselves which was fine. But this morning they knocked and came in unannounced while me and my boyfriend were sleeping and then slammed the door. It is 8:30 in the morning and we leave today so we need rest, but now we’re up for the day.

I understand the need for safety, it does not bother me they came in, but they did it the 2nd time unnanounced and they were extremely loud. Wish they could do it at a later time.

Your 8:30 this AM was highly likely the Mousekeepers wanting to clean the room as you are checking out today. It is frequently reported here that they start knocking etc at 8 on check out day. It is very likely that it has NOTHING to do with the new room check policy

Your 8:30 this AM was highly likely the Mousekeepers wanting to clean the room as you are checking out today. It is frequently reported here that they start knocking etc at 8 on check out day. It is very likely that it has NOTHING to do with the new room check policy
Except that previously they could have put out a "Do Not Disturb" sign and had a good chance of being left alone a bit longer.

Well, we have not checked out and check out is 11am so I find it highly innappropriate to come into our room to try and clean it when check out isn’t until 11am and we were obviously still in the room.

If they can't read the sign on the door saying the room is still occupied, then the problems at Disney are worse than I thought.

Curious, why did you not have the bar on the door?

We were at AoA last weekend. On our check out day Housekeeping knocked on the door at about 9:00 or so. I told her we needed about another hour and we were leaving and she said ok and left. We were up but we did have the bar on. They would not have been able to just open, and then, slam the door, had we still be sleeping. Yes, they can get back the bar but it's not instant like using a key is

If they can't read the sign on the door saying the room is still occupied, then the problems at Disney are worse than I thought.
Room Occupied does not mean Do Not Disturb. It simply advises the CM accessing the room that someone is in it. It should indicate to the CM to be quiet, but clearly it didn't.

When I stay offsite, in a rental house with a private pool, I don't have to worry about these things. Nobody bothers me, I'm not hounded by staff or housekeepers. Its great. Oh, and I pay about the half price.

Something to consider, especially now that onsite guests have to pay parking.

When I stay offsite, in a rental house with a private pool, I don't have to worry about these things. Nobody bothers me, I'm not hounded by staff or housekeepers. Its great. Oh, and I pay about the half price.

Something to consider, especially now that onsite guests have to pay parking.
And unfortunately for me, it means no one cleans up after me or makes my bed. It's like I'm not on vacation. I get that works for others but I just can't give up one of the main reasons I go on vacation, to get a break from housework.

And unfortunately for me, it means no one cleans up after me or makes my bed. It's like I'm not on vacation. I get that works for others but I just can't give up one of the main reasons I go on vacation, to get a break from housework.

I'm the type that cleans up my hotel room pretty well anyhow, and making my bed takes avout 45 seconds, so it definitely doesn't bother us to not have a housekeeper. I would feel so bad leaving a messy room for the low paid housekeeper to deal with. Different strokes I guess.

THIS. I don't do clutter but I can't say the rest for my family members. I hate that my husband leaves his mess around for housekeeping but at least *I* get a break from pickup up after other people. Also, renting a house basically means *I* cook and clean and never get a break.

I'm the type that cleans up my hotel room pretty well anyhow, and making my bed takes avout 45 seconds, so it definitely doesn't bother us to not have a housekeeper. I would feel so bad leaving a messy room for the low paid housekeeper to deal with. Different strokes I guess.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I don't make my own bed when on vacation but I don't throw my junk all over the room. There's quite a far leap from unmade bed to "messy room". But yeah, different strokes. Lots of options for everyone out there. Those that want privacy have tons of houses to rent, not a thing wrong with that either. Neither is right and neither is wrong. Being pampered is paramount to being on vacation for me. Heck, you can always consider that if it wasn't for needing to clean rooms after folks like me then the "low paid housekeeper" you refer to would be out of a job period.

Except that "Room Occupied" only means they should knock before entering. It does not mean they should come back later.

Curious, why did you not have the bar on the door?

We were at AoA last weekend. On our check out day Housekeeping knocked on the door at about 9:00 or so. I told her we needed about another hour and we were leaving and she said ok and left. We were up but we did have the bar on. They would not have been able to just open, and then, slam the door, had we still be sleeping. Yes, they can get back the bar but it's not instant like using a key is
Having the bar on the door would keep them from walking in (which is a big improvement) but it doesn't keep them from knocking and waking someone up who needs sleep before a long day of travel.

The knocking is nothing new, but the barging in at 8:30am unannounced is due to the new policy.

Last edited:
THIS. I don't do clutter but I can't say the rest for my family members. I hate that my husband leaves his mess around for housekeeping but at least *I* get a break from pickup up after other people. Also, renting a house basically means *I* cook and clean and never get a break.

Curious why having a house means you have to cook? I can eat out with a house just like I would with a hotel room. I use the fridge to store easy to grab perishables, but I'm definitely not cooking up big messy meals on vacation.

I just thought I'd point out the positives of off site rentals , especially now that the onsite perks are minimal. I can save around $500 for the week by staying off site, in much better accomodations, and not have to deal with the headaches of on site. We definitely value our space, private pool, 2 or 3 bathrooms so we can all shower and get ready at one time, private parking at our front door, game room, easy access to non-disney restaraunts and activites, storage for our clothes and bags, a washer for the unavoidable mickey bar stain on my daughter's clothes, etc. For us, its a win!

We are currently staying at French Quarter. I was under the impression that with the room occupied signs they came into your room if they had cause, which is fine by me. They knocked and came in yesterday annoucing themselves which was fine. But this morning they knocked and came in unannounced while me and my boyfriend were sleeping and then slammed the door. It is 8:30 in the morning and we leave today so we need rest, but now we’re up for the day.

I understand the need for safety, it does not bother me they came in, but they did it the 2nd time unnanounced and they were extremely loud. Wish they could do it at a later time.
Bummer! That is unacceptable and I'm disappointed and sorry to read about it. :sad2:

When I stay offsite, in a rental house with a private pool, I don't have to worry about these things. Nobody bothers me, I'm not hounded by staff or housekeepers. Its great. Oh, and I pay about the half price....Something to consider, especially now that onsite guests have to pay parking.
Yes, I really am considering on offsite stay after reading all of these accounts, unfortunately. I'm a die-hard resort buff, but have no tolerance for someone barging into my hotel room while I'm inside it. Other hotels don't behave this way.

I'm 100% with you on that one. No cook, no clean, or it's no vacation!

That's what really riles me about this. I like getting housekeeping service, but not when I have no privacy & they feel they can enter the room at any time. This is making me seriously consider doing our first offsite stay next year. And that's sad as I really like the Disney resorts.

Last edited:

agree 100%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter