Room Location OKW

tortoni

DIS Veteran
Hello, we are staying at a 2 bedroom in early May on our points. We were unable to get Near Hospitality House so I am wondering what to ask for in room location. We like being close to the main area and have some mobility issues. Are buildings 62, 63 in walking distance to HH? Thanks.

Google Old Key West map and you can see where all the buildings are located in relation to the HH.

OKWMap.gif

You can request close to HH section. We we just in 62 and it's a great location.

Hello, we are staying at a 2 bedroom in early May on our points. We were unable to get Near Hospitality House so I am wondering what to ask for in room location. We like being close to the main area and have some mobility issues. Are buildings 62, 63 in walking distance to HH? Thanks.

Yes, they are in fact a bit closer than some of the HH category buildings. With the mobility issues I'd have my request as "Buildings 63 or 62 due to medical reasons".

I would also add building 64 to that request. All three also have elevators. They are really easy walk to HH and generally a decent amount of parking out front if you need it. Heading there on Friday and we requested same three buildings but upper floor. We like the views:)

27, 28 and 29 are also not bad for closeness to the HH area and they are close to the first bus stop (so getting on with a scooter if you have one would be fairly easy).

Buildings 15, 16, 62, 63 and 64 are all close to HH. 62, 63 and 64 have elevators as already mentioned. All of these are an easy walk to the Hospitality House at OKW. Building 16 was home to the original DVC Model rooms when sales were active and potential buyers would walk to the models as part of the tour.

62 is on the site where the original DVC Sales Center - Commodore House - was located and 63 was where Miller's Road originally ran. The current Miller's Road in that area was the parking lot for Commodore House.

I was told that buildings 11 thru 64 and buildings 23 to 26 were considered in the group close to hospitality house. We always book close to hospitality house but also always demand 11 to 14 because our developmentally disabled daughter and her friend who always comes with us can easily walk to activities and pool. OKW has always been accommodating.

I was told that buildings 11 thru 64 and buildings 23 to 26 were considered in the group close to hospitality house. We always book close to hospitality house but also always demand 11 to 14 because our developmentally disabled daughter and her friend who always comes with us can easily walk to activities and pool. OKW has always been accommodating.
62, 63 and 64 are not included in the Near Hospitality House designation. We've gotten them before when we didn't book Near HH. Just 11-14 and 23-26.

63 and 64 are the only buildings with an elevator so if you have any mobility issues you might want to ask for ground floor and near a bus stop. We have never had an issue getting these two requests. the two bedroom units at OKW are the largest on property. About 14 hundred square feet of living space. I also like that you have a laundry room in your unit as opposed to a laundry closet with full size appliances instead of the apartment sized. The balconies are also larger here. Used to be it was the only DVC with a basketball court. Don't know if this is still true or if they even have it anymore. But my sons really liked this. It was great for blowing off some steam.

Just be aware that even with mobility issues, both MS and whoever I Emailed at DVC said first floor was just a request (even though I can't walk up stairs, they refused to put "for medical reasons"). However, we were near a bus stop last trip, although we were far from the HH, and it worked out OK. We were near the South Point bus stop, and one advantage was that it was only the second bus stop, and getting a seat on the bus wasn't much of a problem. The HH is the last stop, and almost always guarantees standing room only unless someone offers you their seat.

Just be aware that even with mobility issues, both MS and whoever I Emailed at DVC said first floor was just a request (even though I can't walk up stairs, they refused to put "for medical reasons"). However, we were near a bus stop last trip, although we were far from the HH, and it worked out OK. We were near the South Point bus stop, and one advantage was that it was only the second bus stop, and getting a seat on the bus wasn't much of a problem. The HH is the last stop, and almost always guarantees standing room only unless someone offers you their seat.

As they say, if you don't get the answer you want with MS just call back. It's a request that several of us have done when necessary. It is of course just a request and they won't guarantee it - that will only happen with booking an HA room.

63 and 64 are the only buildings with an elevator so if you have any mobility issues you might want to ask for ground floor and near a bus stop. We have never had an issue getting these two requests. the two bedroom units at OKW are the largest on property. About 14 hundred square feet of living space. I also like that you have a laundry room in your unit as opposed to a laundry closet with full size appliances instead of the apartment sized. The balconies are also larger here. Used to be it was the only DVC with a basketball court. Don't know if this is still true or if they even have it anymore. But my sons really liked this. It was great for blowing off some steam.
Add 62 to that list. Those three buildings were built when they tore down the Sales Office/Commodore House around 1999.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter