Room Checks and Toddler Nap?

KjDreessen

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I’ve read the lengthy posts detailing the new mandatory room checks. I have not seen this addressed and is a question I’ve had. We will have a toddler on our next trip and I’m wondering how to get her a nap without being disturbed by the room check.

Would it be possible for me to mention during check in the anticipated time frame of the nap and see if they could come before or after?

Not trying to open another board for complaints as I understand the policy, just wondering if anyone has experience with this, and how did you handle?

Thanks!

You can mention it, but there’s no guarantee they won’t come by.

And I realize all kids are different, but we tried to take our son (18 months at the time) back to the resort to nap one day in our last trip. He was wayyyy too excited to lay down and didn’t nap that day (he actually did amazingly well despite not napping). The rest of the days, he conked out in the stroller when he was tired and that worked much better for us. Moral of the story is that you may find yourself in a situation where coming back to the resort for a nap isn’t necessary.

Call and request morning housekeeping (or do it at check-in). If you are not declining housekeeping, you will likely not receive a separate security visit. It isn’t a guarantee, but at least you’ve done what you can.

This is what I plan on doing. I like to return for afternoon swim time and rest. No kids with me, mine are all grown up! But I don’t want to be disturbed during my afternoon break either. It’s feeling less of a resort vacation :sad2: aren’t those supposed to be relaxing?

We just checked out after an 8 night stay. Day 2, we returned to an unmade room; we requested fresh towels and declined full housekeeping. We called and requested AM housekeeping. Day 3 we arrived back at 3PM (late for us) to find housekeeping at the room; we again called to reiterate the request and mentioned naps (we’re grown ups, but we nap at Disney!) They noted the account and it was done by noon each day. I would recommend that route :)

I'll agree with posters above. If you try and pin point a time for them to avoid your room, you're telling them exactly when you're going to be in it so that they can stop by.

Are you keeping housekeeping? We never decline housekeeping and so far since the new policy has been implemented we have not been bothered even once from either housekeeping or security during any of our week long stays. Housekeeping came in some time after we left for the parks in the morning and before we returned in the afternoon.

I will add that in the past, prior to the implementation of the new policy, we have had housekeeping knock when we were in the room in the afternoon even when we had the DND sign on the door. I think many times that happens simply because your room ends up being late on the schedule and they knock because if they can't get in to do your room it won't get done. I really don't think anything any different is happening now if you have housekeeping. It's just the luck of the draw whether your room is one of the first to be serviced or one of the last.

I agree with letting housekeeping know if you have a napping toddler. I actually think it works best if you find the actual housekeeper who is working your floor instead of calling. If you come back and your room hasn't been serviced yet just look for the nearest housekeeper and let him or her know that you only need towels because your toddler needs a nap. When we have done this they typically immediately bring the towels to our room - voila! your daily check has been completed.

We just got back from an 8 day stay at POR and had that issue. We didn't decline housekeeping, but we realized after the first two days that they were always scheduled to clean our rooms (had connecting rooms with my parents) right at the time that DS was napping. We called to request earlier housekeeping since we were always going to be back at the rooms between 1:30-4:00, and they rescheduled us with no problem. After that we always came back to clean rooms, and my son napped with no interruptions.

I'm irritated about room checks. Yes, I have a toddler, and he takes naps sometimes, but that's not why I'm angry. I'm angry that they will disrespect my "do not disturb" sign. What if I want to take a nap? What if I am barely dressed? What if I want to take a long shower or bath in the middle of the day? What if I'm comfortable sitting there and don't want to open the door? I'm on vacation! In the past, I can just stick the sign out and not worry. Now I have to think every day about the POSSIBILITY of room checks. I mean, even if they have already come by, I wouldn't really know. I'd still think they might come by and knock and I can't ignore it.

Getting housekeeping is not the solution. They may still ignore your "room occupied" sign for the need of cleaning your room, and if you ignore them, they may call you on the hotel phone, which will definitely wake up everybody napping in the room.

I like my privacy. I don't want them to disturb me when I have the DND sign out. I guess Disney doesn't care about that anymore.

I can see, say if a guest has been having the DND sign out for a week and if they want to see if the guest is cooking meth in there or just up and died, they may want to go in a little bit. But daily occurrence? I would have found this more acceptable if it is, say, once a week on set days, say every Sunday if the guest has been there for more than 3 days. Then at least I can feel secure about my privacy some of the time. And do it in the evenings, when nobody is napping and most are out eating dinner.

I'm going to print out a sign "Please do not knock or enter from 2 p.m to 4 p.m." and tape it to the door.

@BabybetterDisney, I agree.

And you will have some here tell you if you receive housekeeping no one will knock for a second check. But they do. People will tell you that you can schedule your room check. But they will knock whenever they want. You will be told that if you don't use the sign all of the time, and only leave it up when you are actually in the room, you won't be bothered. But we were.

Disney doesn't know what it is doing with this "service." Disney bean counters, resort managers and housekeeping are all on different pages. In theory, this may have worked. But the execution has fallen totally flat.

That is the exact purpose of the room checks, to wake up toddlers during their naps. Cranky toddlers makes for cranky parents.
Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of 'random room checks' if everyone could specify a time NOT to come? Gives them time to hide their nefarious activities.

I was in a Poly studio last week and only once did I have a knock at the door during nap time. On our first day I requested that housekeeping come by after 4 and no one ever showed up that day or the next day. By the third day my husband emptied the trash himself and of course that's the day we got the knock. The man didn't even come in. I opened the door and said I had 2 little ones sleeping and that my husband already emptied the trash. He apologized and quickly left. The next 3 days our trash was emptied in the morning while we were out. I was really stressed about it before our trip but it ended up not being a big deal for us (I know others have had different experiences).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter