Room assignment question

Glennwood

Big Kid
though by no means am I a rookie traveler, I have never bought a room via 3rd party vender...in my case it was Expedia that I purchased a room at AKL.

After I booked the trip, however, it occurred to me that I may be put in a room in Kidani Villafe and not the main lodge. Because I have significant mobility issues, (broken back/cancer), staying in Kidani Village would significantly impact my stay due to the fact that I will not be able to make the trip to the main lodge as frequently as I would like to in order to take full advantage of the amenities.

Whenever I have called in the past to request a certain room, I have been told that room assignments are done at Check in. Because I can still change my reservation through Expedia, however, that will be too late.

Will it do me any good to call the hotel and plead my case and try to be assigned a room in the main lodge?

Unfortunately since you went with Expedia you could be on the low end of the totem pole when it comes to a request, Its sort of like when you use a travel agent, Expedia owns that reservation so they might listen to you but they might not. Thats one of the reasons I dont go thru expedia, trip advisor et.. its normally the worse rooms and locations, at least in my expierences it has been. Good Luck.

There are three bookable resorts at AKL/AKV. These aren't requests, you must choose one of these resorts when you book.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge (a resort hotel in Jambo House - standard and club level rooms, club level suites)
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House (a Disney Vacation Club Resort with studios, 1 and 2 bedroom villas, a few are club level)
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village (a Disney Vacation Club Resort with studios, and 1, 2 and 3 bedroom villas)

Check the resort name on your Expedia confirmation; it will tell you which one you booked. If you booked AKV-Kidani and you want to be in Jambo House, you'll need to cancel your reservation and re-book in the Animal Kingdom Lodge or AKV-Jambo.

though by no means am I a rookie traveler, I have never bought a room via 3rd party vender...in my case it was Expedia that I purchased a room at AKL.

After I booked the trip, however, it occurred to me that I may be put in a room in Kidani Villafe and not the main lodge. Because I have significant mobility issues, (broken back/cancer), staying in Kidani Village would significantly impact my stay due to the fact that I will not be able to make the trip to the main lodge as frequently as I would like to in order to take full advantage of the amenities.

Whenever I have called in the past to request a certain room, I have been told that room assignments are done at Check in. Because I can still change my reservation through Expedia, however, that will be too late.

Will it do me any good to call the hotel and plead my case and try to be assigned a room in the main lodge?

That's incorrect. Assignments are done 3-5 days prior to arrival. They are NOT done at check in
See PP's info about where you booked. Unless you booked a Villa at Kindani, you won't be in Kindani

Additionally, you need to make sure that your room TYPE is the correct accessibility level for your needs.

For example, I require a roll-in shower room; I must make sure that any room I reserve is specifically for that room TYPE.

Accessibility is not a "request" at WDW - rather you must book that type of room deliberately, or else you will not be assigned to that type of room.

If you are talking about AKL (i.e., not DVC (which I don't know about)), then you really should just pay a bit more to book directly with Disney: the accessible rooms are bookable categories - and there are several (e.g., roll in shower; wheelchair w/tub; hearing access - i.e., no difference than non-access at tub, etc.) So many resorts are at capacity, and I often find that accessible rooms are sold out when I try to book. Meaning, even if you are in a wheelchair, and must have grab bars at the shower, I wouldn't show up at a Disney resort without having booked an accessible room. (Note that you can call Expedia to get them to call Disney to request a type of room - as long as it isn't a bookable category (such as "first floor.") So if getting a first floor room is the only accommodation you need, this might work. But no guarantee first floor will be available. And I find alot doesn't work out when Orbitz (which I use sometimes) calls to make requests.))
So, again: if you need a bookable category you need to book it that way. Its not a request that you can get even if you booked through Disney (unless you booked it that way). Probably easier to understand if you go to Disney's site and go to book a room. You'll see a little check box "accessible rooms." Then go to one of the resorts in the results, and you'll see several types of acces. rooms to book.
I haven't booked with Expedia so perhaps they have these access. categories - it would have to be spelled out when you choose the room.
You might get lucky with a compassionate CM - doesn't hurt to try calling Disney directly - but Disney generally will not talk to you if you booked through Expedia/Orbitz/any travel agent. You have to go through the TA and get them to call Disney with your request.

AKL is generally used to refer to Jambo and if you booked a room (not a studio) you should be fine. If it was Kidani it would say AKV Kidani studio, not AKL room.
At AKL Jambo the lobby is on the third floor, so call and request that 3rd floor, near lobby due to mobility issues be added to your room request - not sure if you need to call Expedia or Disney to add that request, though. I think near lobby will be a choice when you do online check in through MDE so you can check that option instead if you prefer to wait until online check in time.
They do assign rooms several days before you arrive, so if location matters it’s best to have your request noted before then.
Enjoy your visit to AKL, it’s a lovely resort, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter