Rooftop carrier help?

MommieMommie!

Mouseketeer
We are looking at purchasing a "rooftop storage carrier thingy" for our 99 Windstar. Should we go with the soft sided one or the hard shell? Pros and cons with each? Thanks!

I have owned and used both, but I prefer the soft one for a number of reasons. First, after the trip it is much easier to store away as it folds small and compact. Second, it is easier to secure to the vehicle with much less worry. Third, less wind resistance for the vehicle. Fourth, I think the initial cost is less (not sure about this one). Overall the soft one is the way to go.

I would definately recommend, however, that you place everthing (luggage, duffles, etc.), in those heavy industrial drum liner trash bags before loading them in the carrier. (You can get them at BJ's, Home Depot, etc.). The soft carrier manufacturer tells you it is not waterproof, but this is a very easy and inexpensive way around that.

Good luck, and have a great trip!:wave:

I prefer the soft carrier too but I disagree on one point -- the wind drag. We've used both and I felt the wind drag was much more pronounced on the soft carrier than the hard carrier - perhaps because the hard carrier is sort of aerodynamic. Anyway, even with the increased wind drag, I still prefer the soft carrier because it's easier to store and maintain. Be careful, too, with the hard carriers. Someone posted on these boards awhile back that they bought a hard carrier used and installed it on their van and, because it wasn't specifically made for the van, it pulled the roof rack off and damaged the roof. If you do decide to go with the hard-sided one, make sure you get one specifically made for your van and have it installed by a professional.

Good point, tinaluis. In addition, should you go hard carrier, I used those rachet tie-downs in addition to the straps supplied with it, just for added insurance. DO NOT USE BUNGEES! I know someone (stupid) that thought bungees (only) were ok and ended up almost killing people on the highway when it flew off their van roof.

Have a great trip!:wave:

We are going with the soft sided one. Aren't these boards great?? Now, I can store at least two of the kids in this thing, right? :eek: :eek: LOL!

Originally posted by MommieMommie!
We are going with the soft sided one. Aren't these boards great?? Now, I can store at least two of the kids in this thing, right? :eek: :eek: LOL!

Only if you supply PB&J sandwiches and stop every 5 hours for a potty break ;)

:earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter