Roku vs. Fire Stick??

tstein12

Mouseketeer
My Samsung smart TV (bought in 2013) does not carry the Disney+ app, so it looks like I'm going to have to buy either a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick? Which do you all prefer? I'm assuming I don't need to spend the extra money a 4K one since my TV is only 1080P HD...

Any advice would be appreciated!

My Samsung smart TV (bought in 2013) does not carry the Disney+ app, so it looks like I'm going to have to buy either a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick? Which do you all prefer? I'm assuming I don't need to spend the extra money a 4K one since my TV is only 1080P HD...

Any advice would be appreciated!

I recommend the Roku. It really has become a good standard for streaming apps. Amazon and Disney were having a little tiff, and while it is resolved, one wonders if there wouldn't be future issues. I do recommend the larger Roku's with the wired connection, but that's really up to you.

I have Roku built into a TV and a couple of Fire sticks. I like the Roku interface a little better and like the Roku feature where you can plug headphones into the remote and listen to TV without disturbing your partner. But they both work fine and I'd be happy with either.

I’ve always used ROKU since I like the YouTube app. It wasn’t available on the fire stick when I bought my ROKU.

I recommend the Roku. It really has become a good standard for streaming apps. Amazon and Disney were having a little tiff, and while it is resolved, one wonders if there wouldn't be future issues. I do recommend the larger Roku's with the wired connection, but that's really up to you.
I agree with this. Amazon and Disney go at things quite a bit and have for years. I wouldn’t want my user experience hindered if they start beefing again. Roku doesn’t have a dog in any fight as far as I know.

Santa will be bringing the younger two Roku sticks and the oldest a Roku Ultra. I want her to have the ability to have a wired connection since it will be her main source for streaming.

I have a the Fire TV but it's getting glitchy. I'm not getting another Fire product, I'm going with the Roku (just waiting for BF).

I have 2 Rokus and 2 Fire Sticks, I prefer the Fire Stick. I find the interface much quicker on Fire Stick and easier to navigate. Also the Fire Stick is Bluetooth capable so you can connect wireless earphones to it.

I have both and think both are easy to use. I prefer Roku, though, mainly because the holy war between Amazon and Google apparently makes it very difficult to install YouTube TV on the firestick

I have both and think both are easy to use. I prefer Roku, though, mainly because the holy war between Amazon and Google apparently makes it very difficult to install YouTube TV on the firestick

I got my first Fire stick last Christmas and the first app I opened was YouTube, it was pre-installed.

We have had Rokus (the full box and the stick) and Fire Stick. Ww found the Fire Stick did not perform consistently. We've been very happy with Roku.

We use Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, PBS Kids, PBS, Pandora, Amazon Music, YouTube, a weather app, and a channel that allows us to watch cable channels with no problems. If you use YouTube I would recommend you find the video on your phone then tell it to "Cast" it to the Roku. Doing a search on the YouTube app on the TV is a slow process for us.

Last edited:
I cut the cable big time with Roku over a year ago. I use Hulu TV, Netflix and couldn't be happier. I have seven Rokus with three being Roku TVs and have not had any issues with any of them. I know people who have the Firestick and they're happy with them as well.

I got my first Fire stick last Christmas and the first app I opened was YouTube, it was pre-installed.

I can't speak much about the Fire Stick, but "YouTube" and "YouTube TV" are different apps, and I think the latter is what the poster was referring to.

I agree with this. Amazon and Disney go at things quite a bit and have for years. I wouldn’t want my user experience hindered if they start beefing again. Roku doesn’t have a dog in any fight as far as I know.

Santa will be bringing the younger two Roku sticks and the oldest a Roku Ultra. I want her to have the ability to have a wired connection since it will be her main source for streaming.
Dragging this back up and quoting myself to say I ended up going with Roku Ultras and just set them up. What a slick device! My kids keep saying, “They’re so fast!” I am seriously considering giving up my Apple TV for one in the Living Room. They’re that intuitive and easy to use. Just thought I’d throw my input out there for if/when this thread popped up again.

I went with a Fire Stick this Christmas and just started setting it up today... and I'm already regretting it! I checked with our internet provider (Xfinity) to make sure their streaming app was available before I bought it, and it should be, but I can't find it anywhere. At this point, I'm thinking I'm going to end up returning the Fire Stick and getting another Roku, even though I don't love the one we have, because there's no sense in a streaming device that can't access one of our most-used apps.

Just bought a 4k fire stick a few weeks ago, needed it for Disney+ and Amazon Prime. I have no problems with it, got a black Friday deal from Amazon for $25.

I went with a Fire Stick this Christmas and just started setting it up today... and I'm already regretting it! I checked with our internet provider (Xfinity) to make sure their streaming app was available before I bought it, and it should be, but I can't find it anywhere. At this point, I'm thinking I'm going to end up returning the Fire Stick and getting another Roku, even though I don't love the one we have, because there's no sense in a streaming device that can't access one of our most-used apps.
Are they older versions? I wasn’t a fan of the one I had several years ago (2012) and gave it to my parents but this Ultra is really nice. It pretty much set itself up including the volume and power for the TV. The interface is completely different from what I remember.

Our tv is also a samsung and is around the same age as yours...maybe a year or so newer. Was replacing an apple tv. Have not used a Roku. Bought the fire stick 4K that I got on sale for $25 around black Friday. Am very happy with it. My phone is a Samsung and I can cast to the fire stick, too. We have prime, too, and I watch a lot through it when I have time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter