Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye

ShadeDK

Permanently Staying in Room 237
Does anyone have experience with this lens (or the 14mm) that can share their opinion? I've done a fair amount of research on the strengths/weaknesses of the lens on review sites, but am interested in thoughts from people who have it in their bag and use it. My intended uses would be landscape and astrophotography - and frankly to have some fun on occasion with wide angle/fisheye. I've seen more than a few interesting shots from the parks with folks using this or similar lenses.

My dream would be the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, but that's nowhere near the current budget. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I've had the Rokinon 8mm fisheye for about 2.5 years and it's quickly become my favorite lens. I've used it for landscape, architecture, astrophotography and it's a load of fun at Disney and elsewhere. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• DSC_9160.JPG
    DSC_9160.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 5
What are you shooting with?
I used the Rokinon 14mm/2.8 on the Nikon D750 for a couple of years. I just recently switched to the Irix 11mm/4 in order to go even wider.
The 12mm is a fish-eye lens. The 14mm is rectilnear -- keeps lines straight, mostly. It is quite sharp, fairly low weight. Nice lens.

The Yukon by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Disney Wonder sunset by Adam Brown, on Flickr

From the rocks to the river at sunset by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Sunset over the Tappan Zee and New Bridge by Adam Brown, on Flickr

A Fall Sunset from the ground by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Road Through the Yukon by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Green and Rain in the Yukon by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Very nice photos - and exactly why I'm interested in going wider.

Currently shooting with a D5200 (a back-up that became my primary when my older, full frame D700 bit the dust - literally). I haven't been in a rush for a wider lens since I'll have more limited benefits with the APS-C sensor but intend to move back to full frame soon enough.

One of the things I like about the Rokinon 12mm is that it seems to handle most of the frame very well with fisheye distortion on straight lines only around the far edges. I can live with that (fisheye after all). That said - the 14mm is in the running for the reasons you mentioned (and cheaper to boot!).

Thanks to those above for the advice. After additional research, I ended up going with the 14mm. It arrives this weekend - can't wait to try it out and get it into the parks next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter