Road Trip from NJ to Disney World!

On one of our many trips driving, hubby got sick at one of the places we ate so we are more or less tired of food or worried about food on the road. We will pack with us for the trip down fresh fruit salad, trial mix/snack. We might prepare food the day before to take with us or make sandwiches.

Coming home we might not have as much or can't be as prepared as when we drive down. So for both ways, we will stop at McD for some oatmeal and coffee. We have also stopped at Cracker Barrel - their food is pretty consistent - we won't pick some random place.

Have fun and good luck!

We once had a drive (not to Disney, thankfully) where two of my kids got sick. It was a mess. We definitely try to stick with "safe" places, although we can't count on McDs after that trip. :X Chickfila was always good, for us, especially because their play area is normally clean. They're usually located near places where we can stretch for a bit since they frown upon adults going down the slide.

Our favorite road trip amenity is audiobooks. Get the right one and everyone's entertained. That could be hard with a big age spread (somebody here said kids 3 to 10—that wouldn't work so well). We've been trying to watch all the important movies before our trip, but there's one part of the Magic Kingdom that just isn't represented by a (good) movie: Tom Sawyer. I spent an Audible credit on the version read by Nick Offerman and am looking forward to listening before we fly.

We first did it when the kids were 5 and 3 in 1989 and now that they are adults my wife and I have done it twice. Could someone please explain what you meant by Disney charges for parking now? We are staying @ SSR and are DVC members.We were there last AUG 2017 and we weren't charged? Has something changed?

We first did it when the kids were 5 and 3 in 1989 and now that they are adults my wife and I have done it twice. Could someone please explain what you meant by Disney charges for parking now? We are staying @ SSR and are DVC members.We were there last AUG 2017 and we weren't charged? Has something changed?

Yes you are now charged for parking at the resorts. For instance at AoA where I’ll be staying:

Parking
Effective for new reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee of $13 per night (sales tax included).

Complimentary standard self-parking is available while you enjoy select dining, shopping, entertainment and recreation experiences at this Resort.

As of March 21, 2018 , they now charge you overnight parking at the resorts, the price depends on which level resort you stay at. DVC doesn't get charged.

We do a 21 hr (including gas/stretch stops) 1-2 times yearly. Go to bed early the night before, sleep until about midnight and hit the road. Took my SIL and her DD last year and they were terrified of the long drive, but actually didn't mind it too much that they decided we should do it again this year. We found that if you have more than 2 people it can be cost effective to drive vs flying from our area. We pack snacks and then we do have a car to do off site things/shopping if we want. Also don't be afraid to ask at check in if they have a room ready so you can take a nap before hitting the parks. Most of the time they try to accommodate you.

We drive from NJ to WDW every year and we love it!!! Getting there is half the fun for us.

We start the drive at 1:00 in the morning so that we can beat the bulk of traffic in Baltimore and D.C. We drive until we reach Kingsland, Georgia, and stop at a hotel overnight. We like the Fairfield Inn & Suites at Kingsland! We always book the motel ahead of time because availability can be limited in Kingsland, but it's our favorite place to stop. Kingsland is 5 minutes away from the Florida border, so we have an easy trip the next day! We normally leave around 6/7 in the morning and arrive at Disney around 9/10. This year, we left Kingsland at 4:00 in the morning and got there at 7:00 so that we could rope drop Magic Kingdom-- it was worth it.

Definitely stop at the Georgia and Florida welcome centers, they're both a fun way to spend 5-10 minutes.

We like to stop at Zaxby's for lunch on the road because we don't have it in NJ and we really like their food. Cracker Barrel and Denny's are also two of our favorite places to stop and eat.

Driving back, we leave Disney after breakfast and stop at the Rocky Mount Holiday Inn overnight. We'll normally make it back to NJ by 5:00 in the evening the next day.

My family do this every few years for a 2 weeks Orlando vacation. Driving from NYC to Orlando, we usually leave in the mid-late afternoon, and only take bathroom breaks and 1 stop for dinner at a rest area. Since it's a family vacation, we take 2 cars (usually 8-10 people going), and total of 4-5 drivers so we can swap drivers every 4 or so hours. Just make sure to pack a lot of snacks in the car.

I agree with another poster that the next day is usually pretty rough. We tend to arrive in Orlando area in the morning the next day. After breakfast, our first park is half day at Sea World, because our orlando trips usually consists of wdw, universal, sw, and dc. With the DC tickets, its unlimited entry to sw within 7 or 14 days of the DC date, so we can take our time and walk around to catch shows at sea world. Also, we do this, we always rent an offsite vacation home, so that first day is also lumped with shopping at a walmart or target nearby to get groceries, water, basic necessities for our 2 weeks stay at the vacation home.

We are just outside Philly and do the drive twice a year. Over Christmas we are pressed for time and do the drive in two days. Stay the night in Florence SC then get to disney around 4pm the next day. We leave the no-tell-mo-tel each day round 7am. Over the summer we do the drive in three days leave each morning around 9am... We stop in Emporia Va and North GA. Get to Disney the 3rd day around noon. You can fly a cheap airline and pay very little but we like having a car so driving is our only choice. Renting a car removes all cost savings (IMHO). We drive 95 the whole way, the drive home is tough. Driving from VA to PA is a nightmare. You gotta hit Washington before 3pm if not...you will be sorry.

If you want, you can go the non-I95 route along the coastline. It will take longer and cost more money but likely will be more visually appealing...

Take your time, stop often for rest stops and the cheap gas stations are: florence SC, the I-95 service station in delaware, Kingsland, GA, Dillion NC and Kissimmee (Walmart). We have a murphy and sunoco gas card. That's about it. If you are staying off site plan to spend $20 each time you park. If staying on site or if you are AP holder then parking is free. EZpass will cover tolls until you get to FL. Then you need a different pass. Some of the major highways in Fl now take EZpass but i am not sure which ones. So make sure to mark you gps as no-tolls once you get to Fl.

We drive around FL quite a bit when we are there, so i have a SunPass. It isn't necessary for the average visitor but we go so often, spending more then a month a year at disney, it just makes sense for us. If you need a car repair the shop at disney is not bad on labor but mark up parts a couple hundred percent. I use a shop in st cloud called Eastside car care 407-957-2415, its a tiny shop with two mechanics but every time i have taken my car there i paid what i would have if i was at home using my local shop. If you have a diesel then mobile oval auto & diesel repair (have not used them but have gotten their name from DIS) 407-405-2391 http://mobileoval.com

Have fun and good luck,
mark

Last edited:
We are just outside Philly and do the drive twice a year. Over Christmas we are pressed for time and do the drive in two days. Stay the night in Florence SC then get to disney around 4pm the next day. We leave the no-tell-mo-tel each day round 7am. Over the summer we do the drive in three days leave each morning around 9am... We stop in Emporia Va and North GA. Get to Disney the 3rd day around noon. You can fly a cheap airline and pay very little but we like having a car so driving is our only choice. Renting a car removes all cost savings (IMHO). We drive 95 the whole way, the drive home is tough. Driving from VA to PA is a nightmare. You gotta hit Washington before 3pm if not...you will be sorry.

If you want, you can go the non-I95 route along the coastline. It will take longer and cost more money but likely will be more visually appealing...

Take your time, stop often for rest stops and the cheap gas stations are: florence SC, the I-95 service station in delaware, Kingsland, GA, Dillion NC and Kissimmee (Walmart). We have a murphy and sunoco gas card. That's about it. If you are staying off site plan to spend $20 each time you park. If staying on site or if you are AP holder then parking is free. EZpass will cover tolls until you get to FL. Then you need a different pass. Some of the major highways in Fl now take EZpass but i am not sure which ones. So make sure to mark you gps as no-tolls once you get to Fl.

We drive around FL quite a bit when we are there, so i have a SunPass. It isn't necessary for the average visitor but we go so often, spending more then a month a year at disney, it just makes sense for us. If you need a car repair the shop at disney is not bad on labor but mark up parts a couple hundred percent. I use a shop in st cloud called Eastside car care 407-957-2415, its a tiny shop with two mechanics but every time i have taken my car there i paid what i would have if i was at home using my local shop. If you have a diesel then mobile oval auto & diesel repair (have not used them but have gotten their name from DIS) 407-405-2391 http://mobileoval.com

Have fun and good luck,
mark

WOW! thanks so much!

We drive from NJ to WDW every year and we love it!!! Getting there is half the fun for us.

We start the drive at 1:00 in the morning so that we can beat the bulk of traffic in Baltimore and D.C. We drive until we reach Kingsland, Georgia, and stop at a hotel overnight. We like the Fairfield Inn & Suites at Kingsland! We always book the motel ahead of time because availability can be limited in Kingsland, but it's our favorite place to stop. Kingsland is 5 minutes away from the Florida border, so we have an easy trip the next day! We normally leave around 6/7 in the morning and arrive at Disney around 9/10. This year, we left Kingsland at 4:00 in the morning and got there at 7:00 so that we could rope drop Magic Kingdom-- it was worth it.

Definitely stop at the Georgia and Florida welcome centers, they're both a fun way to spend 5-10 minutes.

We like to stop at Zaxby's for lunch on the road because we don't have it in NJ and we really like their food. Cracker Barrel and Denny's are also two of our favorite places to stop and eat.

Driving back, we leave Disney after breakfast and stop at the Rocky Mount Holiday Inn overnight. We'll normally make it back to NJ by 5:00 in the evening the next day.

I grew up in Kingsland! :-)

We have driven straight thru from PA to WDW it is very doable. When i was working 3rd shift my wife would start out driving and i would take over around 10 or 11 and drive till morning the past few trips we left and would drive to Daytona Beach which was about 13-14 hours and stay a night or 2 there before our vacation started at WDW Found some really good deals on hotels right on the beach there was relaxing we got to sleep and lay on the beach before we headed

We drive from GA to NJ two times a year. It’s about 16-17 hours. We have left early in the morning & at night. When we left at night, it was 7 pm & we drove until 1 am & hot hotel for night. I think leaving at night is a little better. We ran into only one area of bad traffic (construction) but it was very long & really bad. What saved us was the google map app. Got around most of it. The traffic, accidents & construction is the problem. We do very little stopping. Gas & fast food, bathroom breaks. Having a sit down dinner with waitress takes up too much time. Don’t recommend that. Use an app like google maps. If you see accident or construction (delays) coming up. Check if there is a way around it. And make sure you have plenty of gas before you hit congested area. If traveling over holiday & end up stopping st hotel, try calling ahead (use phone app), to check availability. Once traveling over thanksgiving many hotels were booked. Good luck. It’s not an easy drive. I hate it but my husband refuses to fly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!