River Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
The utilidors are not below ground level. They are the first floor as you said.
20,000 water was not on the first floor. To leak it would have to go uphill.
If the tunnles have leakage it is from the moisture in the soil and leaking pipes here and there.

I thought they closed the ride due to the high cost of time and money to maintain the ride.

Thought I would add to the conversation. Enjoy. Apparently this was one of my tickets. :)

River-Country-Tix-01-Front.jpg

River-Country-Tix-02-Back.jpg

CAJUNWDWFAN, Thanks so much for sharing! It is neat to see what people have hung on to.

Did you get to RC by ferry?
I just found several photos of my family at RC.. one is my brothers on what looks like a RC dock with the ferry docked (same ones that take you from the transportation center to the MK)

The back says "river country 1982"

Did you get to RC by ferry?
I just found several photos of my family at RC.. one is my brothers on what looks like a RC dock with the ferry docked (same ones that take you from the transportation center to the MK)

The back says "river country 1982"

You would have taken the same boats that you now take to get to Fort Wilderness Campground because its in the same place.

I even think they use the same routes they use now.

The only other way would have been to park in the parking lot near the front of the campground. Depending on how far back in time you go would have taken either a tram or a bus back to RC.

I'm new to this board, but not to WDW.

I was at Contemporary and MK the second week it opened. I was very young. 5 years later, we went to River Country where most of my fondest WDW memories were made. I remember the whole family laughing as we'd drop off the tire swings into 'the swimmin hole'. And that barrel bridge? No doubt for many of us, it was the first one of its kind we ever walked.

Thanks for the memories through your photos. I can see past the the overgrowth and right onto the beach where Mom held melted ice cream cups for us. :hug:

My 1st trip to WDW, I was 10 and my sister was 6. Our folks took us here, and we had a blast. There was no Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach at this point. But we spent all day here, then saw the Hoop Dee Doo Revue without ever going back to the hotel. It was a long and fun day.

I still remember the cable pulley and all the cheesy jokes from the HDDR.

I think Walt would be turning in his grave. This needs to be fixed back to it's original design w/ some updates. River Country would be a blast for guests! It has a true Disney feeling about it. Every time I go to the backyard BBQ I wondered what River Country was like. I always tried to peek behind the fence. I NEVER would have expected it to be let go this badly! There is something about "originals" @ Walt Disney World that have so much more appeal than the new things that come out. It just needs to be fixed.

Hey there Diz people ... I've been noticing here and on other boards I have visited that where this topic of River Country is there are always a few people who ask the question why doesn't Disney just clean-up and re-open the park. The simplest explanation is that they can't ... at least not without A TON of redesign ... such much so that it would be easier to demolish it and build from scratch.

I've made a short video that explains the reason for River Country closing and not re-opening. If you're interested I invite you to watch and if you have anything to contribute ... PLEASE DO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40BAY7LuCOo

THANKS!

Take Care & Be Safe!

Frank
Disney DieHard

We watched your video, DisneyDiehard, and had no idea the background music is still playing. That is really creepy.

Great job with your YouTube video DieHard. Not only did you concisely present the history and current state of the park, you also perfectly articulated the feelings and emotions of all River Country fans. I know the state of the old water park shocks most Disney fans but those of us that were lucky enough to go there when it was operational feel the sting that much more.

:( those pictures make me tear every time.

some of my best disney memories are here... and going down the slides and falling into the pool. my parents would tell me it was time for a rest when my swimming turned to a tired doggy paddle. i would just swim to the stairs and get back in line over and over. i would have spent all day doing that rather than going to the theme parks.

Great video. We camped at Ft Wilderness April 2010 and the boat captain from the Ft to MK gave all the info you just stated and more. He stated that when TL opened and I believe BB, attendance levels dropped and due to low # guests RC could accomodate compared to TL and BB, they didn't see it feasible to install a newer filtration device for a park that had a low profit margin (low #guests=low revenue). Of course, bacteria problem, new laws,etc. of course in 2001 TL/BB didn't reach capacity. No longer true thus our quest for a 3rd waterpark.

With all the new resorts and DVC built on the lake, this would be a nice additional waterpark with access to lots of guests now. Forget the lake park --- keep the pools, slides, add some more, etc. I get frustrated going to TL/BB with the tons of people there and waiting in 30-60 minute lines to ride a slide. We are new to camping and are DVC members and would love for expansion of the campgrounds to continue! Eerie that the music still plays, the nightlights come on ... reminds me of Hollywood Tower.... that's it -- a ghost town waterpark! tie in Pirates of Carribean.... I think I'm onto something:) :dance3:

Great video. We camped at Ft Wilderness April 2010 and the boat captain from the Ft to MK gave all the info you just stated and more. He stated that when TL opened and I believe BB, attendance levels dropped and due to low # guests RC could accomodate compared to TL and BB, they didn't see it feasible to install a newer filtration device for a park that had a low profit margin (low #guests=low revenue). Of course, bacteria problem, new laws,etc. of course in 2001 TL/BB didn't reach capacity. No longer true thus our quest for a 3rd waterpark.

With all the new resorts and DVC built on the lake, this would be a nice additional waterpark with access to lots of guests now. Forget the lake park --- keep the pools, slides, add some more, etc. I get frustrated going to TL/BB with the tons of people there and waiting in 30-60 minute lines to ride a slide. We are new to camping and are DVC members and would love for expansion of the campgrounds to continue! Eerie that the music still plays, the nightlights come on ... reminds me of Hollywood Tower.... that's it -- a ghost town waterpark! tie in Pirates of Carribean.... I think I'm onto something:) :dance3:

But if you remove the lake water you remove the lagoon, since all the slides dump you into that lagoon, the only thing that can be saved is the pool which would have to be rebuilt. The diving rocks would have to be removed and the the depth made shallower to keep people from diving.

As I have posted before RC would be an insurance nightmare today. At the pool they encouraged you to dive, the body slides dumped you into 8 feet of water and the tube slides were more of a inclined lazy river with pools where tubes could bump into each other.

The best we can hope for is some sort of RC inspired mini water park. That FW guests can go to.

I'd take a mini water park for Ft.W! I understand not much would be left, but do like the ambiance and the theming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!