River Country Today

Teamub Thanks for trip doing memory lane I loved River Country and really miss it

Great post man. I always make it a point to go over to the edge of the green fence each visit and climb up on a rock and take a look at the old pool. Here are a few pics I've snapped over the years. Again, all of these were taken from the Fort side of the fence. I've never been willing to risk crossing the fence and getting in trouble.

IMG_6423a.jpg

IMG_6424a.jpg

IMG_6427a.jpg

IMG_6434a.jpg

IMG_6435a.jpg

IMG_6437a.jpg

I'm not sure, but I would guess that the three squares of newer concrete are probably where 3 showers were at for washing sand off your feet. This is right outside the restroom that once serviced River Country and now services Mickey's Backyard BBQ.
IMG_0129a.jpg

While I am sad it is gone, because it would be great for us Fort goers to enjoy, I understand why it was shut down. At first I felt it wrong for Disney to just let it rot. I used to think tearing it down was a better option. However, every single time I see some pics from inside and showing how it is being reclaimed I find myself liking the idea of allowing nature to take it back.

Great pictures, thank you! We had some wonderful times there and it holds a special place in my heart.

Guess I feel different than you, tiggerdad! It just makes us sad to see it ever so slowly deteriorating. We have such happy memories there with our children, and it's down right scary looking to see it now - and know we were 'right there'! :sad2: Would much rather they had torn it down, then we wouldn't have to see the 'slow death' every time we get on the boat. :(

Is it like a conservation thing? Not tearing down River Country and the island?

Too much $ to do it the way they wouldn't get fined?

It would just cost money which they were not willing to spend I figure. Also, if you want something covered up, what better way to do it than to let Mother Nature take care of it? If they had bulldozed it it would have taken longer to grow over. I figure they have plans for that location somewhere down the road and didn't want to spend the money to clear it until they knew they were ready to develop it at the same time.

Never been there. Never knew it was there until this thread. Now, I think I might try to sneak a peak when I am down there in August.

I will say that the pictures are eerily beautiful.

Did anyone ever get to walk around the wooden walking path that was over the water going towards River Country??? We started going to the fort in the late 90's and never had a chance...

20 Days till we are back....

Did anyone ever get to walk around the wooden walking path that was over the water going towards River Country??? We started going to the fort in the late 90's and never had a chance...

20 Days till we are back....

Yes, we went to RC many times 'in the day'!! To us, it was really beautiful then - walked all around the area. Was a great small water park, and I don't remember it being super crowded. Was very open looking out on the lake. Now, it just looks disgustingly spooky!! :sad1:

We only went there once. The small water slides were just my speed. :) It just happened it closed soon after that.

I follow a page on facebook called Abandoned World and they had a story about River Country today and posted this picture.

13051625_584809438367348_1242200453280903010_n.jpg

Me and the DW are going to ride the bikes over and see whats left when we go the first week in May.
Here is another pic from the water view. 100_6184_1024.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to get to this spot (legally) to get a glimpse of this park? I’d love to take a took “over the fence” before they start ripping the park down. Thanks!!

You can not, there are NO TRESPASSING signs at every point when you get anywhere close to RC. What I have heard if anyone is caught in or near RC will be trespassed from Disney property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter