Riding in Mardis Gras Parade

davidfromtennessee

Earning My Ears
Does anybody have experience in signing up for the Mardis Gras parade as annual pass holders? We signed up for two different nights. I know it’s not guaranteed, but does it seem like most people who sign up get it or most don’t? Also, does anybody know how soon before the parade you find out if you can ride and how early you have to be at the parade spot? Thanks so much!

We rode last year but not because of an annual pass. We signed up through guest services at the on site resort we stayed at. We signed up 2 nights before the day we were going to be at Universal studios. We had to be at the parade meet up spot by 5:00. When we went to get the bracelets they emphasized to be there by the 5:00 cut off. From speaking to the staff and other people waiting around who have done it a lot, the chances are a lot better for a week night parade, compared to the weekend parades, especially for those who are trying to get through the stand by line.
Hope you get on! It was such an incredible experience and great memories. We are hoping to do it again next month when we go.

We're riding this Saturday night. We signed up the first day it opened up. We got the confirmation email last Friday (26th) "Congratulations You’ve Been Selected". We replied to say we were still good to go then got the final confirmation Monday. So it seems like you get a week notice. I also signed up for March 31st (when we'll have family in town)

Basically, pick up arm bands (which designate which float you'll be on) between 11am and 5:15pm at the "Studio Audience Center/Lost and Found" near the front of the park, then show up at the Barney courtyard area at 5:45pm -- time may be different if the parade starts later/earlier. Then you get organized into small groups by the float you are on, then led backstage to put on the smocks "Krewe Uniforms" which just slide over your neck. They hand you some beads and a box of beads and when you get out you throw them out to folks (underhand, don't smack people in the face by flinging them straight out!). After the parade you get off and they walk you back into the park near the Esoteric Studios gate next to Horror Make Up.

As for chances for getting picked, the earlier you signed up the better, and chances are better for non-concert nights and weekdays than the weekends .

Here's the content of the email:

You and your (2) guests have been confirmed to be a float rider at Universal Orlando’s Mardi Gras on February 3,2018.

You and your guests will need a wristband for to ride the float on your event date.

Please follow the instructions below to retrieve:

1) Go to the Studio Audience Center located to the right of the main entrance turnstiles inside Universal Studios Florida™ from 11:00am to 5:15pm on the date listed above. Annual Passholder must bring a valid Annual Pass and valid photo ID of the name on the reservation to the Studio Audience Center to receive their wristbands, ID must match the name on the reservation confirmation

2) Your spot is not guaranteed until after you receive your wristbands at the Studio Audience Center. If not picked up by the time indicated above, your reservation will be forfeited.

3) A wristband is required to ride the float and more information on where to board the float will be given at the Studio Audience Center

4) If a reservation needs to be cancelled the Guest should reach out to Guest Services at 407-224-4233 to cancel.

Please note the following float rider restrictions:

• All riders must be 18 years old or accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
  • Must be at least 48" in height.
  • All riders must be able to board the floats and must be able to stand for the duration of the parade.
  • No strollers or large bags may be carried on floats.
  • For ADA Accommodations please contact Guest Services at 407-224-4233, at least 48 Hours prior to Float Reservation.
  • Oxygen tanks are NOT permitted aboard any float.
  • Wearing of “The Krewe” costumes is a condition of participation.
  • Universal Orlando will try to keep all parties together but on the rare occasion larger groups may need to be spilt into different floats.
  • Guest(s) must be a valid Annual / Seasonal Passholder or have paid theme park admission. Any float ride participants who do not show up by the designated time will forfeit their spots.
  • Seasonal Passholders will not be able to participate on Mardi Gras concert nights: 2/3, 2/10, 2/17, 2/18, 2/24, 3/3, 3/4, 3/10, 3/11, 3/17, 3/18, 3/24, 3/25
Please call 1-866-PASS-4-FUN (7277-4-386) or email APMardiGrasFloat@universalorlando.com with any questions.

Thank you,

Annual Pass Service Team

I registered right after they opened signups, but we didn't get picked. Hope you have better luck. :(

Don't give up hope! Go to try to get on as a standby or through other means. There are castmembers out and about in the festival area looking to give away bands during the afternoon on parade days as well. We rode twice last year, and neither time was through the traditional AP sign-up. Once, we got stopped by the Universal AP Social Media director Matt Korn and given wristbands for our lanyards (UOAP!) and the second time we waited standby and got one right at the cutoff.

To follow up after successfully riding one of the 6 new floats this year. Our group wound up on the "Virgo" float, which shoot sup confetti at various spots.

For a parade that starts at 7:45... A few notes, pick up the arm bands at "Studio Audience Center/Lost and Found" between 11am and 5PM -- everyone riding must come to pick up the bands at the same time --, arrive at Barney between 5:45-6:45. (Only AFTER 6:45 will they start picking up spots from standby if there are no-shows. No photos allowed backstage, but you can, safely, once back in the park on the float, but the experience is a blur.

This is the float our group was on -- i didn't ride since I was hanging out with the 2 year old. https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/959959192462348288

And here's a video of the parade. This guy was filming right next to where I was standing with my daughter.

Last edited:

Parade looks great this year! Can't wait to see it on the 19th and 20th of this month!

Yesterday morning (Monday), we stopped by the US Guest Services and asked about riding in a float. They still had some open slots and put us on the Andromeda (mermaid) float. It was a blast and worth the experience.

If you want to try and ride on a float and you haven't already signed up, I'd suggest stopping by the Guest Services desk each morning and ask them if they have any open slots. You might well get lucky and be riding on a float that evening. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!