Rides in the rain

jasmine91

Mouseketeer
Our weather forecast is looking crummy. Which rides typically shut down during the rain?

All of the outdoor ones. Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet and am not going to type them all out. Take a look at the wait times in the app around 3:00 this afternoon - if a whole bunch of rides say "temporarily closed" all at once, you'll know why and which rides.

I used to be an attractions CM. Rides will not close in the rain. The only way they will close is if there is lightning in the area.

All outdoor attractions will close if lightning is within 6 miles. Once it is out of the area the rides will open. Lines will close, but if you are in the line you are allowed to wait as long as you'd like until it opens.

Only exception, if the people in charge arepaying attention, is Tom Sayer Island which will close if lightining is within 10 miles and approaching. You don't want to be stuck on the island during a storm or traveling across the river in a down pour .

Well realistically, when is there not lightning with a storm in Florida summer lol

Hopefully is passes quick and you will have a great time. I'm a week and a half away from my time to go.

Just gotta have faith and hope.

Well realistically, when is there not lightning with a storm in Florida summer lol

Hopefully is passes quick and you will have a great time. I'm a week and a half away from my time to go.

Yes when is there not lighting in the lighting capital of the world ( or close to it) but most of the time it is a fast storm

You really can't trust the forecast until you get there. I live in NE Florida and it changes hourly here and can be a drastic change! We were there last weekend and they were calling for a 60% chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday but we never saw it. Also, it can be raining in downtown Orlando but not in the parks. We use the radar ap on our phone a lot, to keep track of what's going on, and carry small umbrellas and lightweight ponchos in our backpack so we are prepared just in case. Hope you have a great trip!

as far as rides that are down during the rain and this is not a complete list

MK

JC
magic carpets
Splash M
BTMRR
TSI
Dumbo
barnstormer
7DMT
Teacups (?)
the car thing
TTA (?)

EPCOT

TT

HS

SDD
AS2
I do not think TOT goes down

AK

EE
the two rides in Dino land ( the little coster and the one like dumbo) not dinosaurs

Chance for rain/thunderstorms daily is normal for summer so what you're seeing is not "crummy" its what summer is.

WDW has many completely indoor attractions.
Basically outdoor attractions will close with anything more than sprinkles.
Think things like Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Slinky Dog Dash, Expedition Everest....

All of the outdoor ones. Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet and am not going to type them all out. Take a look at the wait times in the app around 3:00 this afternoon - if a whole bunch of rides say "temporarily closed" all at once, you'll know why and which rides.

Not even remotely true. We were just there and rode several outdoor rides in very hard rain. Splash, Big Thunder, Speedway, Mine Train, Dumbo, Slinky Dog Dash, and the Tomorrowland Rockets. They don't shut down for RAIN, just for lightning in the near vicinity.

Pretty often, actually. We spent 4 hours at DHS one night two weeks ago and it was POURING the whole time. There was only lightning in the area for maybe 30 min. We ended up riding SDD in some seriously heavy rain because it was running, and we had a Fastpass. We had our ponchos on but the rain in our faces felt like tiny needles.

I don't know why but this list makes me laugh. You're seasoned enough
as far as rides that are down during the rain and this is not a complete list

MK

JC
magic carpets
Splash M
BTMRR
TSI
Dumbo
barnstormer
7DMT
Teacups (?)
the car thing
TTA (?)

EPCOT

TT

HS

SDD
AS2

AK

EE
the two rides in Dino land ( the little coster and the one like dumbo) not dinosaurs

I don't know why but this list makes me laugh. You're seasoned enough to know which rides close (by heart), but not the names of the rides.

MK

JC
magic carpets
Splash M
BTMRR
TSI
Dumbo
barnstormer
7DMT
Teacups (?)
the car thing - Tomorrowland Speedway
TTA (?)

EPCOT

TT

HS

SDD
AS2

AK

EE
the two rides in Dino land ( the little coster and the one like dumbo) not dinosaurs - Primeval Whirl and Triceratop Spin.

Actually, when you mentioned this that when we were at WDW in May it rained (no, POURED) practically every day. But I just realized-hardly ever thunder and lightening (I think that happened just one or two days all week). So we had about 5 days of rain with no thunder/lightening.

I don't know why but this list makes me laugh. You're seasoned enough

I don't know why but this list makes me laugh. You're seasoned enough to know which rides close (by heart), but not the names of the rides.

MK

JC
magic carpets
Splash M
BTMRR
TSI
Dumbo
barnstormer
7DMT
Teacups (?)
the car thing - Tomorrowland Speedway
TTA (?)

EPCOT

TT

HS

SDD
AS2

AK

EE
the two rides in Dino land ( the little coster and the one like dumbo) not dinosaurs - Primeval Whirl and Triceratop Spin.

I guess you can tell what rides I do not like or ride at Disney

Even indoor can close in a heavy enough storm. Earlier this month(I think July3rd) , we entered Philharmagic (since rain was starting) and waited in the queue for 1 or 2 shows
When we entered the theater, the CM said that after our show they will become a storm shelter and we will be allowed to stay in our seats.
It was nice having an indoor seat, but I imagine guests that entered after us may have wanted to see the show.

I've found the standard weather app on my phone to be mostly useless when it comes to sudden downpours. For those of you who are Orlando veterans, what's your favorite storm-tracking radar app?

Chance for rain/thunderstorms daily is normal for summer so what you're seeing is not "crummy" its what summer is.

WDW has many completely indoor attractions.
Basically outdoor attractions will close with anything more than sprinkles.
Think things like Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Slinky Dog Dash, Expedition Everest....
Today was a little more than normal, there have been more than one deluge today. I have family that lives 4 miles from the parks and they sent me a pic from HS before the rain chased them away. From what I heard on our noon conversation, plus just now I would call today crummy. The weather there lately sounds quite crummy, I'm hoping it gets better before our visit in a week and a half.

I've found the standard weather app on my phone to be mostly useless when it comes to sudden downpours. For those of you who are Orlando veterans, what's your favorite storm-tracking radar app?
I would like to know this as well!

Everest does not close for rain, just lightning. We were there three weeks ago and sat in the single rider queue for an hour and a half because it was pouring rain and lightning. Once the lightning passed, we rode multiple times in the rain. And may I just say...ow. But it was kinda cool too.

This question gets asked all the time. Maybe it should be a sticky. :)

Normal rain, not buckets pouring down and flooding paths/blocking entrances/exits to rides kind of rain, affects only a few things. Test Track will not run when the track outside is too wet. Part of the Indiana Jones Stunt Show will not be done if there is lightening or the pavement outside the cover is too wet. Any show that is not under cover will not be performed if the stage is too wet or if there is lightening.

When there is lightening, everything with any part of it outside is shut down. Cast members at carts/gift stands close down their area and take shelter. In very severe weather, other things may shut down as well (like Philharmagic) so people can take shelter. Sometimes flooded paths or guests blocking an exit due to weather will shut down indoor attractions.

Don’t trust forecasts. Even day of is often inaccurate. Usually summer storms blow over quickly. A lot of people leave, which means when the storm ends the wait times are reduced. Take a look at the radar to be sure, but usually the best thing to do is find shelter and enjoy the slightly less crowded park when the weather improves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter