Rides breaking down at alarming rate

Yeah sorry not going to read all 14 pages. If we had quantitative data to prove one way or that rides are breaking down at a greater rate now versus in the past, that would make for a better discussion. As of now everything is just opinion and individual observations, but no hard data. So we can continue to argue one way or the other until we are blue in the face but it’s kind of pointless. 😂. Something to take up some time I guess. 😀
It's on the front page..I do suggest you read it as the discussion was in part on rides contained inside thus not affected by weather but your choice if you wish to read. Plus if you're going to tsk people on their opinions you might want to actually read them first.

Yeah sorry not going to read all 14 pages. If we had quantitative data to prove one way or that rides are breaking down at a greater rate now versus in the past, that would make for a better discussion. As of now everything is just opinion and individual observations, but no hard data. So we can continue to argue one way or the other until we are blue in the face but it’s kind of pointless. 😂. Something to take up some time I guess. 😀
We have a lot of data.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/disney-theme-parks-unplanned-ride-stoppages-up-report-1235177256/amp/

We have a lot of data

Thank you!! Now this is something I can dig into. That particular article is reflective of last year, as it’s almost a year old now. A lot can change in a year, but as a trend it doesn’t look good re downtime. It does list the source of the data and I can dig into that. Hopefully I can find data from the last few months.

Thank you!! Now this is something I can dig into. That particular article is reflective of last year, as it’s almost a year old now. A lot can change in a year, but as a trend it doesn’t look good re downtime. It does list the source of the data and I can dig into that. Hopefully I can find data from the last few months.
Thrill Data keeps track of this stuff, would guess that the analysis was using data from there.

This, a thousand times. And they need to invest much more in preventative maintenance. Cutting corners on upkeep and maintenance labor costs is coming back to haunt them.
We have an acquaintance who is a ride maintenance technician and told us that he's been working mandatory 6-day weeks for a year. My guess is that Disney would hire more people in a heartbeat, but with 4% or less unemployment and a nationwide shortage of skilled mechanics, there just isn't anyone available. Got a friend who works with machinery and is looking for a job? I didn't think so.

We have an acquaintance who is a ride maintenance technician and told us that he's been working mandatory 6-day weeks for a year. My guess is that Disney would hire more people in a heartbeat, but with 4% or less unemployment and a nationwide shortage of skilled mechanics, there just isn't anyone available. Got a friend who works with machinery and is looking for a job? I didn't think so.
Maybe pay more for skilled maintenance labor? DIS seems to have unlimited money for the Hollywood crowd, who write scripts and make movies that no one wants to watch.

The Touring Plans site puts out a weekly post they call the Data Dump. Part of that is a report on downtime of rides in the park. Here is a paragraph from the most recent report:

"The worst day for attraction downtime in the past week was on September 27th. On that day, 6% of all capacity at WDW was lost due to unexpected downtime. The worst park-day of the week was at Hollywood Studios on September 26th. On that park day, 11% of the capacity was lost at Hollywood Studios due to unexpected downtime. Hollywood Studios was open for 12 hours on the 26th, so 11% downtime is the equivalent of the whole park being down for almost 80 minutes. Almost an hour and a half out of the 12 hours."

This particular week it was also noted that Rise of the Resistance was down for 23% of the first hour of every park day. So if you try to rope-drop Rise there was a 1 in 4 chance that you would encounter a shutdown.

"The worst day for attraction downtime in the past week was on September 27th. On that day, 6% of all capacity at WDW was lost due to unexpected downtime. The worst park-day of the week was at Hollywood Studios on September 26th. On that park day, 11% of the capacity was lost at Hollywood Studios due to unexpected downtime. Hollywood Studios was open for 12 hours on the 26th, so 11% downtime is the equivalent of the whole park being down for almost 80 minutes. Almost an hour and a half out of the 12 hours."

This particular week it was also noted that Rise of the Resistance was down for 23% of the first hour of every park day. So if you try to rope-drop Rise there was a 1 in 4 chance that you would encounter a shutdown.
On the upside, 94% was up & running at 4 parks on 09/27, 89% at HS on its worst day, and 77% of the guests did NOT encounter a Rise shutdown during the first hour of park opening.

Of the 11% downtime at HS, how much of that came from Rise?

I'm not trying to dismiss anyone's negative experience, just wanting to inject some positivity into the situation.

Last edited:
On the upside, 94% was up & running at 4 parks on 09/27, 89% at HS on its worst day, and 77% of the guests did NOT encounter a Rise shutdown during the first hour of park opening.

Of the 11% downtime at HS, how much of that came from Rise?

I'm not trying to dismiss anyone's negative experience, just wanting to inject some positivity into the situation.
On 9/27 Slinky was down for about 80 min, MMRR about 45 minutes. Rise was only down for about an hour that day but it’s definitely the worst offender.

77% of the guests did NOT encounter a Rise shutdown during the first hour of park opening.
I understand trying to input positivity but I will say this above isn't actually positive at all. Same goes for Universal with Hagrid's. It's not a positive that an attraction that is down frequently just happens to not be down during park opening. It means those guests got lucky rather than what would be a positive thing IF the norm was the attraction runs smoothly vast majority of the time and it's then unlucky for a guest to experience it off line.

Also reported downtime I don’t believe starts until the ride is officially announced down (so no wait time posted and staff blocking the entrance)

Most times a ride went down my last trip there was at least 15-20 minutes of not moving in line and the ride not running before they officially announced it was down.

Im guessing the data doesn’t even accurately reflect how much time the ride isn’t running, only how long it’s officially down for.

My next trip in Dec I’m going to time from when the line stops moving / ride stops to when it re-opens to compare.

Also reported downtime I don’t believe starts until the ride is officially announced down (so no wait time posted and staff blocking the entrance)

Most times a ride went down my last trip there was at least 15-20 minutes of not moving in line and the ride not running before they officially announced it was down.

Im guessing the data doesn’t even accurately reflect how much time the ride isn’t running, only how long it’s officially down for.

My next trip in Dec I’m going to time from when the line stops moving / ride stops to when it re-opens to compare.
That's a good point. I remember when we were in line for Remy and it went down. It was a good 15+ mins of no moving and then people starting to chatter in the line before the app updated to reflect closed and I was checking the app a lot once we stopped moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter