Rides/Attraction recommended for seniors?

VictoriaAndMatt

DIS Veteran
Hi there everyone! We're going to DL at the end of this month as an early mother's day treat. We'll be going with my mother and my grandmother who both have never been to DL. I know mt grandmother won't be able to go on most of the rides but are there any that she can go on? What attractions would be good for her? We plan on getting a wheelchair as she can't be on her feet for long periods of time. TIA. :)

If she's in a regular Wheelchair (not an ECV) there's a few she can even stay in the WC for--Buzz, Monster's Inc (in DCA) are two that have ADA cars that fit a WC. She can ride the train, too, no problem. HM will slow or stop the load belt for her (though I think she might have to get out, though there might be a WC car on that one too--none of my WC friends use it, so not sure). Jungle Cruise also has a boat with a special wheelchair holder, as does IASW, so she can stay in on those also. She can also stay in the WC on the Carousel (and garantee you the gold horse). She'll have to get out of it for other rides, but you can use the WC entrances (saving you some serious wait time, esp for Fantasyland rides).

I have no idea how wheelchairs are managed at DL, but here are some rides you might work:

At DL:

Small World - long lines that move fast
Tiki Room - lines always short
StoryBookLand Canal Boats
Peter Pan (the line will be long, long, except 1st thing in the morn)
Alice in Wonderland
Snow White
Pinocchio
DL RR
Jungle Cruise

At DCA:

Soarin Over CA
Aladdin Show

It really depends on her age and condition/ over all health. We have went with my MIL/FIL. They are 74 and 77. They had a great time, and there was very little they didnt go on. I think they passed on Screamin', Space mountain, Matterhorn and Indy.

Soarin was a huge hit. Jungle cruise is great. Dont forget about little things like the different types of transportation on main street, the train around the park, monorail, etc.

I agree with Soarin, my parents and In-Laws thought it was wonderful. My IL's rode it 3 times back to back trying to mak sure they saw everything!

Thank you everyone for all the responses. We were worried that she wouldn't be able to do a lot of things. And now we have another grandma coming with us so this info is even more useful. :) Again thank you.

All the above advice is great. But I wanted to add that the shows would probably be great for your grannies also! There are the Muppets and Its Tough to be a Bug 3D shows in DCA as well as the Aladin show. The Animation Building also would probably be something they would like and that is a terrific place to just sit and rest for a few minutes too (actually its my favorite place in DCA to rest, the movie screens are fascinating to watch and its very cool, darker, and comfortable). The Golden Dreams movie in DCA would also be good for them, although it looked like that was being refurbished so I am not sure it is still running at the moment.

In Disneyland there are the Steve Martin movie where Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln usually is that your grandma's would probably enjoy as it covers the opening of Disneyland, something they probably remember. Billy Hill and the Hillybilly's in The Golden Horseshoe would be great for them. The Snow White show is on hiatus and I can't think of any other shows at Disneyland except the Buzz Lightyear one, and unless you have a Buzz fan that one is probably a little too hip for anyone over 14. The mountain climbers on the Matterhorn as well as the street performers will probably also tickle their fancy. The Mark Twain or the Columbia on the Rivers of America would be nice and not much of a line. The train as mentioned is a great idea for a ride as well as for getting around.

Lastly, there is special seating for people in wheelchairs for both the fireworks and the parades at both parks. Anyone in the party with the person in the wheelchair gets to sit with them, so this will be a valuable contribution your grandmas can make to your group. ;)

I think the most important thing when touring Disneyland with a senior is to take it slow, make sure you do at least as many shows (or Mark Twain/train things) as rides and to alternate them as much as possible. And to try to be inside and cool and well hydrated as much as possible. Its so easy for them to feel they are holding everyone else back and push themselves too far. But the nice thing about going with a senior is that you slow down enough to enjoy a few moments sitting on a park bench eating a mickey ears ice cream and watching the people walk by. I had SUCH a laugh with my great aunt at the shoes and outfits some of the young ladies were wearing (obviously on dates) and we had fun all the rest of the afternoon searching for what we were sure were the most uncomfortable shoes in Disneyland that day.

You have recieved some great advice....I just want to say that health has much more to do with things than age. My Parents are 67 and 72, and the only ride they have ever skipped is R&RC at WDW.They love all of the other mountains, Test track ,ToT, etc. They have even agreed to go on EE our next WDW trip. My Grandmother rode BTMRR at DL well into her 80's! Seniors can rock if they are in good health, and young people with challenges may need accomadations.

star tours is a wanderful ride for the seniors out there its pretty smooth easy wheelchair transfer nothing to fast or rough definantly somthing u may wanna do :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter