Rider Switch Question

BMAEC

Mouseketeer
I've read other threads and articles on Rider Switch and am thoroughly confused! I know there's some disagreement and inconsistencies since the new digital Rider Switch has been implemented, but I want to make sure I understand this.

From what I've read, if you want to use Rider Switch with FP+, all interested riders go to the FP line and get their bands scanned. Group 1 waits in the FP line, finishes the ride, and then what? Does Group 2 then have to wait in the FP line too, or do they get to go on immediately, like waiting off to the side? I just went ahead and got a FP for all 4 of us that can ride, with the idea that 2 would ride and then the other 2 of us ride right after because I thought using Rider Switch would mean we would skip the line altogether for the second 2 of us, but now I think maybe I'm misunderstanding? If we all have FP, do we even mess with Rider Switch? Do we just have the first 2 tap in and ride and then the second two tap in and ride? The ride I'm concerned about most is Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Separate but related question, can my husband take two of our kids (ages 4 and 6) and ride in 1 seat with them on SDMT, while I wait with our toddler and then I go on with the 4 and 6 y/o, or will the seat only fit 1 adult and 1 child? Thanks so much for the help! It's so hard to plan out the logistics when I've never been and I'm working around ADRs!

can my husband take two of our kids (ages 4 and 6) and ride in 1 seat with them on SDMT,

Nope.
Seats are strictly two guests per "row" and no more can fit due to the design of the restraints.

7dmt.jpeg 7DMT-13.jpeg

(photos found via web search)

When you use rider swap, those waiting behind with the too short kid are given the rider swap entitlement on their magic band. When Group 1 is done riding, those with the rider swap entitlement (Group 2) will go in the fast pass line and ride. It works this way whether Group 1 waits in the standby line or has FP and waits in the FP line. Those with rider swap always wait in the FP line. They do not get to completely skip the lines and board immediately.

When Group 1 waits in standby, the obvious benefit to using rider swap is that Group 2 could then wait in the shorter FP line and would not have to wait in a long standby line. If Group 1 has FP, then Group 2 would still wait in the FP line, so there's no benefit in that regard. But... Regardless of whether Group 1 waits in the standby or FP line, a rider swap can be used for up to 3 people. So if only 1 person waits back with the too short kid, they could bring up to two more people with them to ride. Also, by getting the rider swap entitlements when Group 1 uses FP, you better ensure that Group 2 can ride. If you get FP for the whole party and try to ride back to back during the one hour window, Group 2 may not make it into the line before the window ends and would then not be able to ride using their FP. For some rides, depending on how busy it is, it can take 45 mins to get Group 1 through the FP line, so unless you send them through right when the FP window opens, Group 2 might not be able to scan their bands in time to ride. Shows with pre-shows especially (like FOP) tend to take a while to get through in the FP line.

To use rider swap, go up to the CM at whatever line Group 1 will be riding in (standby or FP) and let the CM know you would like to rider swap. Have the too short kid with you as they need to see them and may measure them to ensure they indeed are too short. Let them know who will be riding first (Group 1) and who will be using rider swap (Group 2). Up to 2 people from Group 1 can also be part of Group 2, for a total of up to 3 people in Group 2. They will add rider swap passes to Group 2's magic bands. Then Group 1 rides while Group 2 does whatever they want (get a snack, use the restroom, ride a nearby ride, whatever). Then you meet up, and Group 2 enters the FP line, scanning their magic bands which will use the rider swap pass on there.

The aspect left up for debate is whether or not Group 2 needs a FP if Group 1 has them. Most people are saying that Group 2 did not need FP when they went, but a couple people have said they were asked for them on certain rides only.

In order to ride without a parent directly next to you, you have to be 7 years old. If there are 5 of you (2 adults, a 4yo, a 6yo, and a toddler who is too short), for SDMT you could have 1 adult take kid 1 with FP (Group 1) while 1 adult and kid 2 (Group 2) get rider swap and wait with the toddler. When Group 1 is back, Group 2 gets into the FP line and rides. Each kid would ride once. The only other way you could do this with FP and rider swap (if everyone is comfortable with it) is to ask someone over the age of 14 going into the FP line for SDMT if they would sit with one of your kids. Then, both kids could ride the first time with the first adult (if they all had FP) with one kid riding with the adult from your party and the other kid riding with the stranger you just asked. Group 2 would be the adult waiting with the toddler plus both tall enough kids who just rode. Then, when using the rider swap, you would again have to ask someone about to enter the line if they would ride with one of your kids. Obviously, this is something you and your kids would have to feel comfortable doing and would require a little more work in asking someone else to sit next to a kid. For what it's worth, I've been asked several times to sit next to a kid who couldn't ride alone (similar situation as yours with more kids than adults who were riding) and never had a problem doing so. When you get up to the ride and they ask how many in your party, you would just say 4 and then the kid with the stranger would be in the row directly in front of or behind you. It's not like they would be far away. In this scenario though, both tall enough kids could ride twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter