Rider Switch and Motion Sickness

nat8199

DIS Veteran
Hello!

One of my kids has some serious motion sickness issues. He cannot ride splash mountain or thunder mountain, though he was ok on seven dwarves. (He also throws up on planes and in car rides over an hour.)

Can we use rider switch on these?

On a side note, he wants to try Everest, and I am not optimistic. I plan on bringing all my vomit supplies and letting him have a go at it. He hasn't actually puked on a ride yet, they just make him cry and he refuses to go again.

Hello!

One of my kids has some serious motion sickness issues. He cannot ride splash mountain or thunder mountain, though he was ok on seven dwarves. (He also throws up on planes and in car rides over an hour.)

Can we use rider switch on these?

On a side note, he wants to try Everest, and I am not optimistic. I plan on bringing all my vomit supplies and letting him have a go at it. He hasn't actually puked on a ride yet, they just make him cry and he refuses to go again.

Yes, as someone said, up to the discretion of the cast member, but I"ve never had an issue and had numerous times I needed switch for scared kids, sick kids, etc. As for Everest, if he gets sick on splash and thunder, I would not put him anywhere near everest. The backwards part made me pretty ill. This past time wasn't too bad as I screamed going backwards like someone somewhere posted helps and I also had ginger capsules which are supposed to help with motion sickness. But I can also ride aerosmith rollercoaster 2 or 3 times in a row.

You should be fine. We did it on everest this past weekend since my older daughter didn't want to ride it. My husband was ill after everest too, never threw up but not well. He is usually fine on coasters but going backwards and the scene with the flashing lights really messed him up but give it a go. You sound like you are prepared. Good luck!!

Is he old enough so you can give him something for his motion sickness? It's terrible to get motion sick, because the ooogy feeling doesn't just disappear when the motion stops; I can be sick for the rest of the day sometimes, and it's awful.

I rode it at rope drop in July with no breakfast and I was done for the day. My DH rode FOP without me while I sat in the indoor food area sipping on a cold drink. I was so sick we cancelled our lunch res and went back to our resort.

Sorry, but I don't understand anyone saying he will be fine on Everest if he can't do thunder mountain. The backwards part is probably the worst thing in the park save maybe Mission space.

Sorry, but I don't understand anyone saying he will be fine on Everest if he can't do thunder mountain. The backwards part is probably the worst thing in the park save maybe Mission space.

I haven't done Mission Space Orange, but I think Star Tours is way worse for motion sickness than any of the roller coasters. I'm pretty sure the teacups would be worse as well.

I agree though that Everest is worse for motion sickness than Big Thunder.

They are usually accommodating with the rider switch. But, I'm going to agree with the others, if he has issues with motion sickness, I would not attempt Everest. If he really wants to, I would do it at the end of your park day so you can go back to the room and not ruin all or part of your day.

How old is your child? If he is old enough to sit out the ride and wait by himself, they may not offer rider swap.

I'm so confused, I thought Rider Switch was just for height.

OP, have you tried Dramamine for Kids? One of my kids used to get so sick during the taxiing part of the flight and it helped immensely

Everest is definitely worse than Thunder. However, I get easily car sick (even as an adult), and the only ride that I can't handle is the teacups...I've never even been on Mission Space: Orange, though. Star Tours never makes me sick. I think there are different types of motion sickness, and you have to learn your limitations in life through trial and error.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter