Rider swap for adult?

jkennedy626

Earning My Ears
My dad booked a trip for us kids and grandkids 3 months ago because of a recent cancer diagnosis. Things were going great until 3 weeks ago when we discovered he had brain metastasis which causes dementia like symptoms. All of his physicians have cleared him to travel. We have a house rented and the plan was he would go to the parks when he felt up to it and stay home if he didn’t feel well. Now him staying back alone is out of the question. We have all of our fast passes booked and he won’t be able to go on all of the rides. Is it possible to do a rider swap with him? The only concern is that he can’t be left alone and someone would have to wait with him. I contacted Disney and they said nothing can be guaranteed until we arrive and speak to guest relations. That is when we can discuss our options. Any thoughts? We have also considered finding a caregiver for a few hours. Thanks!

you need to take to the CM at each ride about his need as each CM and ride will handle things different but for the most part they should be able to help you out. They may have you all wait I. Line the swap at the end.

So sorry his condition has deteriorated. You can certainly ask about Rider Swap at rides; reports vary as to whether it may be allowed for someone tall enough but not riding. It sounds like you have a good-sized group, so I would have “plan b” to split, with the first group of riders going at the beginning of your FP+ time so the the second group can get in line within the hour window.

I’d also be prepared for “plan c” that someone stays at the house with him. My dad’s dementia left him unable to cope with crowds and sudden or loud noises - even “regular” sounds of a young child playing. The parks may be overwhelming for him. I’d look at it as an opportunity to spend some 1:1 time with dad, rather than thinking of it as missing a day in the park.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation making some special memories!

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your dad :(. Like @gap2368 says, it depends on the CM. They may give you a Rider Switch pass (where 2 others can join the first waiter when they ride) or they may ask you to go through the queue and swap at the end. It's good that you have FPs just in case you have to all wait in line.

Thanks for the replies! Yes, we all have fast passes. There are 10 of us, but we arranged everything together. We can also split if necessary.

Thanks for the replies! Yes, we all have fast passes. There are 10 of us, but we arranged everything together. We can also split if necessary.
I agree with lanejudy about Rider Swap and the possibility of needing “plan c”.
If you all have Fastpasses, you don’t need Rider Swap. The easiest way to deal with it would be just to split yourselves up.
Have part of your group go on the attraction toward the beginning of the Fastpass window while the rest wait with him. When the first group has gone, they can wait with him while the rest go on.

Oh yeah, duh! I didn’t think about it like that. The lines shouldn’t be too bad with a fast pass

You shouldn’t have an issue at attractions that use rider switch. Disney does not require that the non-rider has to be too short. Theres a link on that page that lists attractions offering rider switch. Everyone must be present at the entrance to obtain a switch pass, but dad + companion can use a diff fp or do something else. The companion would not need a fp for the switch.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

You shouldn’t have an issue at attractions that use rider switch. Disney does not require that the non-rider has to be too short. Theres a link on that page that lists attractions offering rider switch. Everyone must be present at the entrance to obtain a switch pass, but dad + companion can use a diff fp or do something else. The companion would not need a fp for the switch.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/
There have been many recent reports of CMs requiring the companion have a Fastpass. The website makes it clear Rider Swap can be used with any age, but does not address Fastpasses.

Apparently, one of the issues they are trying to address with saying all riders need Fastpasses is guests having 2 members of their group each making a Fastpass for a different tier one attraction, then doing Rider Swap.

It’s not guaranteed that the 2nd Guest will be able to ride without Fastpass, so it’s safest for each rider to have Fastpasses.

There have also been several reports in recent months of CMs requiring a tall-enough non-rider to go through the queue with the whole party and swap at the boarding area. That is with or without FP+, though if all have a FP I would just split up with some riding at the beginning of the window then the rest afterwards.

Enjoy your vacation!

There have also been several reports in recent months of CMs requiring a tall-enough non-rider to go through the queue with the whole party and swap at the boarding area. That is with or without FP+, though if all have a FP I would just split up with some riding at the beginning of the window then the rest afterwards.

Enjoy your vacation!
Was denied rider swap at FOP despite all having Fpp Because my WC bound son was tall enough.

You have an hour window to use your FP, plus I think they give you a 5 min window at least before your time. You could probably get the first group in and then have the second group go when they get out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!