Rider Reaction Detection

melorun

Back from the future
There was discussion on the latest podcast regarding a Disney-filed patent for technology that would detect a rider's well-being and adjust the ride accordingly.

For instance, detecting that a rider is scared and reducing the intensity of the attraction.

This begs the question: where is it going?

My bet: Tron. The plan here is to build a thrill ride in a park that doesn't have any. One where every ride is designed to be accessible for the whole family.

(Let's not start a discussion on the definition of a thrill ride. Suffice it to say that Tron will likely be the most intense ride ever built at the MK.)

So wouldn't it make sense to have small ride vehicles designed with the idea that the whole family hops on, but that if there's a young one or an older individual who can't handle it: no problem, it just won't launch as fast.

This means you don't need to divide your lines or build two separate attractions. You have one adaptable ride.

Create enough blocking sections (or emergency brakes if you prefer) and you can increase the number of vehicles on the circuit and reduce their size.

Where do you guys see this kind of tech being useful?

There was discussion on the latest podcast regarding a Disney-filed patent for technology that would detect a rider's well-being and adjust the ride accordingly.

For instance, detecting that a rider is scared and reducing the intensity of the attraction.

This begs the question: where is it going?

My bet: Tron. The plan here is to build a thrill ride in a park that doesn't have any. One where every ride is designed to be accessible for the whole family.

(Let's not start a discussion on the definition of a thrill ride. Suffice it to say that Tron will likely be the most intense ride ever built at the MK.)

So wouldn't it make sense to have small ride vehicles designed with the idea that the whole family hops on, but that if there's a young one or an older individual who can't handle it: no problem, it just won't launch as fast.

This means you don't need to divide your lines or build two separate attractions. You have one adaptable ride.

Create enough blocking sections (or emergency brakes if you prefer) and you can increase the number of vehicles on the circuit and reduce their size.

Where do you guys see this kind of tech being useful?
Not to burst your bubble but its not for Tron. Tron coming to the MK is an exact clone of the one in Shanghai.

Disney also likely wouldn't file a patent for a ride after its already been designed and planned for.

This patent may never be used in an attraction. Disney does that a lot and so does Universal. We are likely years upon years away from seeing this if it happens.

Not to burst your bubble but its not for Tron. Tron coming to the MK is an exact clone of the one in Shanghai.

Disney also likely wouldn't file a patent for a ride after its already been designed and planned for.

This patent may never be used in an attraction. Disney does that a lot and so does Universal. We are likely years upon years away from seeing this if it happens.

No need to be sorry. I'm just daydreaming on how this could be used. You raise some good points but I wouldn't discount my idea completely.

The thought really comes from my impression that Tron is an odd fit for MK. But beyond that? Pure wild speculation on my part for sure.

I wish they’d come up with a technology that detects my fear and uneasiness whenever I see the price tag on food and merchandise in the parks and resorts. And then adjust the price accordingly. (Downward, of course.)

Smell the fear, raise the price.
Hear a stutter, add gratuity.

It seems like this technology would impact the ride throughput. Especially on a coaster like Tron. And if the idea is to measure your reaction to a ride, the adjustment wouldn't come until after the launch. At that point, it's too late.

It's not a technology for Tron.

We rode Tron in SDL and saw many small children, some that HAD to be under the height limit, ride. There is a part of the ride that kind of clamps onto your lower back. There was one kid so small, that piece was centered on the base of his skull; only the top of his head was sticking out - like a turtle. We thought there was no way they'd launch with him on there... then whooosh, off it went.

I think this is probably tech we'll never see in action, but if they were to use it, I think it would be on a trackless ride. If someone trips the 'this is too much for me' meter, their car might not spin as much.

I'm going to rain on everyone's parade. I think this is stupid. I hope it doesn't work and they never use it. Have a nice day!!!!! :rolleyes1:goodvibes

I still don’t understand how this would work. Some people enjoy getting scared on rides (not me). I’m assuming the physical reaction (increased heartrate, dialated pupils, etc) would be the same for someone who is scared but enjoying it and someone who just wants the ride to be over.

Sometimes corporations file for patents on technology to prevent competitors from using it, whether they themselves ever intend to use it or not. Maybe this is one of those things.

I still don’t understand how this would work. Some people enjoy getting scared on rides (not me). I’m assuming the physical reaction (increased heartrate, dialated pupils, etc) would be the same for someone who is scared but enjoying it and someone who just wants the ride to be over.
If they explained how it worked then it wouldn't be magic now, would it. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!