Ridemax technical question

mommabo

Mouseketeer
I just subscribed to ridemax last night for our upcoming trip. All seemed to be going well until it came time to download the program. I clicked on the link and my download screen appeared (along with an internet screen that was blank). My download screen said something like this is an application do you want to cancel or download. I hit download. Then ........ nothing. My desktop does show a ridemax exe icon, but when I double click that, it says there is not application to support this. So clearly the ridemax application did not download. It is only after this that I stopped to question if ridemax can be used by apple users (I know I should have thought of this earlier). So here are my questions:
Can apple people use Ridemax?
Has anyone encounter this problem before?
If so, what do I do?
I have emailed ridemax, but seeing as it is the weekend, I don't expect a response until Monday or Tuesday (hopefully). So I thought I would turn to the helpful folks here at the Dis boards. Also, we do have another computer that is a regular PC and I can try to download onto that one. However, I have a few concerns:
First, the pc is my kids "game/school" desktop computer. I really don't want to have to be tied to that one (located in the middle of actvity central)
Second, if it does download to that PC and I later find a solution to download it to my apple laptop, will having put it on the PC preclude it from being downloaded onto my laptop. In otherwords, will it somehow know, "Hey, I've been downloaded once, and one is all you get. No soup for you!" (Well, you know, if you imagine an application could talk ;) )
So, anyone out there have any suggestions or experience? I sure would appreciate any help with this matter. TIA!

mommabo said:
Can apple people use Ridemax?
The Ridemax site has this info on their order page "requires Windows 95/98/ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows XP, or Windows 2000". Mac support isn't mentioned so I'd say it isn't available. In general an .exe file will not run on a PowerPC-based Mac, but you can run Windows on the new Intel-based Macs if you have some application that you really want to use. I suspect you have a PowerPC Mac - look at the processor under "About This Mac".

jlmarr said:
The Ridemax site has this info on their order page "requires Windows 95/98/ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows XP, or Windows 2000". Mac support isn't mentioned so I'd say it isn't available. In general an .exe file will not run on a Mac.

Yup, I saw that ....... after I subscribed. I know it is there, in bold I believe, clear as day ...... and you guessed it, I still missed it. I am so used to doing every thing on my laptop and was eager to get started, I just started clicking and applying to my heart's content. Ugh, sometimes, I am such a goof (cue Homer Simpson - Doh!).

So, I guess what your saying is I am stuck on my kid's PC or just not using Ridemax and requesting a refund. For those that have used it, is it worth it? I have gotten so spoiled by my laptop following me everywhere, I do not cherish the thought of being tied to the kids PC and trying to get some quiet time in that room. Hmmm, should I just bit the bullet or did I just shoot myself in the food?

I think RideMax is worth it! Even if you don't follow the "plan" it still gives you lots of valuable information, and really teaches you about the traffic flow of the park and how to avoid big crowds. I would think it would be especially useful if you are going at a more popular time. I say stick in on the kids PC, they even may like playing with it.

stagemomx3 said:
I say stick in on the kids PC, they even may like playing with it.

See, this is why I love these boards, everyone has a different way of looking at things. This had not even occurred to me. You are right. My DD12 and maybe even DD9 would enjoy helping with this part of the planning. DS6 will probably take a pass since there aren't dinosaurs involved :rotfl2:

Also, since we are upgrading to AP's when we are there, and planning a few mini-vacation throughout the year, maybe we can get to the point where the kids handle all the ride planning. Ahh, one less thing for me to worry about ;)
Thanks for the suggestion.

A Secret.
At the Disneyland hotel, in the business services office, upstairs near Goofy's restaurant. a very nice employee has RideMax installed on one of the computers you can use for 6.00 for 30 mins.
it's on the left computer as you face the cubicles.

drcorey said:
A Secret.
At the Disneyland hotel, in the business services office, upstairs near Goofy's restaurant. a very nice employee has RideMax installed on one of the computers you can use for 6.00 for 30 mins.
it's on the left computer as you face the cubicles.

:cool1: That is so cool!

I see you've got your answer to the system-support download problem. But to answer your question, is it worth it? Yes, even though I don't plan to use the plans to the letter, Ridemax has helped me rethink my plans easily and often. (Btw, when I say I don't intend to follow the plans to the letter, it's not a statement about the plans themselves but about how DH and I travel together.)

Also, about your question about putting Ridemax on multiple computers. I currently have it on two computers--my home computer and my laptop. So as far as I know, as long as you download the program within the 10-day window you can have multiple copies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter