Reviews of our quick trip

bbowers

Dog Mommy
See
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=588265
for details of this trip, which combined a business trip and WDW fun for a friend and I.

Wolfgang Puck's Express - Had dinner there 6/9 about 6:30. Not completely packed, but pretty busy (park crowds while we were there were not that bad, so this might have been a bit busier than some restaurants).

Had the BBQ Chicken Quesadilla, which was huge - I couldn't finish it. Also had a bottled water. (7.50+2.25) It was good, but not great, and not something I'll dream about (like Mickey Bars). I doubt if I'd eat here again - the food all seemed just variations of the same theme (chicken or bbq chicken or caesar chicken).

Cape May Character Breakfast - Did this 6/10 with a 7:50 PS. ($16.99) It was NOT crowded at all, and we only had about a 5 minute wait to be seated. The characters all came by twice, and spent quite some time. I had DF scratch Pluto's ear and she got tickled by a chipmunk (not sure which of the frisky little devils it was). Minnie was also there, along with Goofy, who accidentally whacked himself in the face at a nearby table. DF had a GREAT time. Food is good, but we skipped the Krispy Kremes (ugh, too much sugar that early in the AM). However, did have some pastry with chocolate in it that I figured was going to be dry and tasteless (I didn't think this when I first put it on my plate, but later as it was my last item to eat) but the chocolate in it was AWESOME! It was like having a dark chocolate candy bar. I will definitely remember THOSE next time I eat here - and I think I will make Cape May a must each visit (DH and I had fun here in Nov).

Sunshine Season Food Fair - This was our lunch on 6/10 at 12:30. Both of us got the Chicken and Ribs ($7.59). DF said the cole slaw was awesome, but I'm not a creamy slaw fan, so I didn't try mine. I also didn't eat much of the corn on the cob because it was too juicy and hard to eat. I liked the chicken, but the ribs were rather tough and dry. I am quite sure I would not do that again.

Olivia's Cafe - A late dinner on 6/10 (8-ish). Had about a 15-20 minute wait with no PS. I had eaten lunch here last June and thought it was just OK, but I was very impressed with dinner. Had the Mahi Mahi and the veggie-THING it was on was incredible, as was the fish. It was also served with sweet potato curls, which were very tiny and a disappointment because they were so tiny you couldn't even tell what they were in your mouth. But the rest of it more than made up for it. ($17.99) DF had the Grilled Jerk Chicken which was 2 breasts, some grilled veggies that she said were the best she'd ever had, and a HUGE helping of garlic mashed potatoes that she also loved. She ended up taking much of the potatoes and one of the breasts back to the room. ($18.99) We also couldn't resist and took a piece of the Chocolate Spoon Cake back with us ($5.99) and ended up not eating it until Sunday AM. That made it 2.5 days old, and it was still AWESOME - it had not dried out in the slightest (kept it in the fridge but got it out to warm up for about 30 minutes before we ate it). No way could either of us eaten a piece by ourself, though.

Pizzafari - On 6/11 we were so hot we decided to just eat at whatever restaurant we saw first, and this was it. Not my first choice, but too tired and hot to care. DF had the Pepperoni Pizza ($5.79), which she said was good, and I had the Chicken Caesar Salad ($5.99) which was surprisingly fresh. The lettuce was like fresh picked. I like the chicken warm, which this was not, but it was tender and pretty flavorful. Too many croutons, but I ate around them. Dressing was good, too - not too much, not too little. I liked that we could get small bottles of water here for $1.25.

Hoop-Dee-Doo Review - We did the 7:15 show on 6/11. DF and I got the exact same seat that DH and I had in November! It's the 2 seater right down front right in the middle. (I had made reservations as soon as I knew she and I would be going - March, maybe?) We were both starving and dug into the bread (so much for low carb - even when I'm not strictly low-carbing it, I still ignore bread and potatoes, but not tonight!) and salad as soon as we were able - both are excellent. The chicken was fantastic, as usual, and we managed to down most of that. DF liked the ribs better than I did, but I liked the baked beans better than she, so we didn't have to fight over anything. The corn was just there - it's just CORN, for pete's sake. We were so stuffed that the strawberry shortcake actually didn't get finished (I consider that a tragedy), but when you're ready to burst, you're ready to burst. Got to flirt with Six-Bits (same one from Nov - I just love him) and even played our washboard a bit until our ears hurt.

I think perhaps doing this every trip might be too much, but then again I had even more fun this time than November, so it MIGHT become a trip tradition.

(I can't believe we waddled off after this to take advantage of E-Ride Night - what fools these mortals be.)

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater - In my goal to find the most entertaining places to eat wherever we went, I chose this as our MGM lunch on 6/12. After fighting our way through the parade crowds, we got here just a bit after they opened at 11. I had the Catfish Sandwich ($12.99) and thought it was incredible. I was apparently starving again, though, because I ate every single fat fry that came with it and I hate fat fries. But the sandwich was really well seasoned and cooked just right. DF had the Flat Iron Steak Sandwich ($14.99), which she said was good, but was hard to eat, as it is open-faced. She also said the onion rings were excellent. We would have loved to have had room for a shake, but that wasn't happening. (Darn those fat fries.)

Boatwright's - Decided to eat someplace completely new for me and at a different type of resort for DF, who has a lot of decisions to make before her trip back with the family in 2006. Based on our server's recommendations, I had the Crab-Stuffed Salmon ($17.29) and DF had the Grilled Pork Loin ($15.99). We first enjoyed the corn bread muffins (low carb? what's low carb?), but were hungry enough to still be able to enjoy our meal when we had polished those off. My salmon was excellent - the crunchy topping is what made this dish. (I am a huge salmon fan and often fix it at home - I liked this dish better than the salmon at Artist's Point because this is unlike what I cook.) DF was not so sure about the apples and cabbage - it was not something she would ever crave, but it wasn't unpleasant, either. If she ate just an apple it tasted like there was something with it, but not cabbage. If she tasted just the cabbage it had extra flavor, but not apple. She was unable to finish all of the pork loin - they were huge, and the garlic mashed potatoes again were enough for 3 people. I didn't finish the rice or asparagus on my plate, either. But I would definitely dine here again - food was great and the menu was very interesting - there are quite a few more things I'd like to try.

We also enjoyed 2 Mickey Bars each during our trip - I had warned DF how addictive they were, and she now agrees.

Ahhhh... the good thing is that we walked so much I came home the same weight as when I left. (Deep voice...) "Believe it, or not!"

Great reviews,well written and a joy to read.Thank you for posting you did a great job and you made me hungry.::yes:: :wave2:

Thanks for your great reviews!!:D

HDDR is one of our favorites, too and a family tradition.

Looking forward to trying Sci-Fi in Aug...I thought I was gonna have a burger, but now I'm all confused!:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter