Reviews - Marrakesh & Turf Club

meab

Mouseketeer
Just back from a quick weekend at WDW, and wanted to share some reviews...

Marrakesh (dinner) - tried this on the premises of a) we like middle eastern food, b) there's some "entertainment" to it with the music and belly dancer (very good! how did she do that?!), and c) it's not a "regular" restaurant, with the standard prime rib, chicken, pasta, etc. offerings. the food was really just ok at best. we had the sampler appetizer platter, which included 2 chicken bastillas, 2 beef brewat rolls, and a small salad. the bastillas and rolls were ok, the salad was really just like tomatoes, olives, and onions tossed in italian dressing. for the entree, i had the shish kebab tenderloin skewers. they were not as seasoned as i would have liked,but it was tasty. what could be wrong with tenderloin? ;) the big complaint was the portion size was pretty small. for $26, i expected more than 2 skewers of 4 cubes of meat each. DH had the platter with the roasted lamb, chicken skewer, and seafood bastilla. the lamb was pretty fatty; seafood bastilla was bland. in retrospect, he wished he chose the royal feast. for those on DDP, the dessert is limited to the baklava sampler, which was very good. there are 4 kinds - chocolate, almond, pistachio, and walnut. i was very disappointed that we could not get the crepes atlas. apparently, it's no longer offered at dinner. but the music and belly dancer were entertaining. especially for our 2 kids. we'd probably rate this restaurant a 2 out of 5.

Turf Club (dinner) - we were staying at SSR, and ate an early dinner here before heading home. we were pleasantly surprised. for an appetizer, we chose the fried calamari, which was not just the regular fried "rings" - there were also some whole fried baby octopus in it. sauces were good - aioli and spicy marinara. entrees we chose were the top sirloin and the penne pasta with shrimp. i prefer NY strip over sirloin, but since sirloin was the only steak offering, that's what we chose. it had a nice sauce on it (like a red wine or madeira sauce), and the fries were really good. the pasta was good -the shrimp were a little smaller than expected, but there were a lot of them. also, lots of artichokes, olives, sundried tomatoes, etc. very tasty. for dessert, we shared the individual apple pie with vanilla ice cream. it was delicious. i'm still trying to figure out if the crust was a pie crust or some kind of puff pastry. yum. the meal was nothing out-of-this-world spectacular, but it was very hearty and filling, and really hit the spot. it was a much better value than marrakesh - we ordered less items, and menu prices were cheaper, but we had a lot more food. we'd rate the Turf Club 4 out of 5.

Thanks for the review. we're staying at SSR next week and will try the Turf Club. Again, thanks.
:thumbsup2

I wonder when they changed it so you could only have the baklava for dessert? I went in May and got the bastilla and my sister got the crepes atlas. We are eating at Marrakesh this friday night - I guess I am having the baklava. Thanks for the info and the reviews!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

lexxiefern, i was really disappointed about the crepes - it's on the menu outside, but they took it off the menu inside. DH was going to call over a manager and complain, but I didn't want to be a pain. We are big apple-dessert fans, so we were especially upset. However, we thought the baklava was really good. It was just annoying that that was the only choice. We like to order a variety of foods anyhow and sample each others'. It would have been nice to get one order of baklava and one order of the crepes atlas. However, our server said it was available at lunch, but i didn't ask if you could get it with the DDP at lunch. At dinner, there were 2 other desserts available - the bastilla, and also the fruit with mint ice cream (which I would have liked to try), but our server said only the baklava sampler was counted as dessert on DDP.

I had a similar experience at Marrakesh in August. We had the free dining package and each of my party of five ordered something different. Sorry to say, the warm whole wheat bread was the best thing on the menu! (and it was excellent!) I don't understand why we had no choice of dessert - their baklava was okay at best. We felt we were rushed through the meal plus we were seated so we could not see the dancer. A disappointment after several years of thinking "maybe we should try it just once?"

I really dislike any type of baklava(toooo sweat :hyper2: ). I would even rather eat celery than that. I might even say that I want vegetables for dessert. :rotfl2: I think I will choose lemonade as a dessert. Anybody know if they have that or even any drink along those lines? :drinking1

MEM - you made a good point - the bread is really good. our kids loved it too.

qanita92 - our server told us the only dessert we could get using the dining plan was the baklava sampler. if you're not using the DDP, i think there was a fruit cup with mint ice cream (i would have liked to try that if it were on the DDP). as far as drinks go, the only "unusual" drink our server mentioned was mint iced tea. they had some non-alcoholic specialty drinks on the menu, but they were not included on the DDP. DH ordered a specialty drink (with alcohol), and it was good, but he felt a small glass for the price. btw, i had the mint tea, and it was good. very minty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter