Review: Pier 39

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
My DD has always wanted to see San Fransico, and I must confess I do not care for the city. Luckily what she really wanted to do was see the 2 bridges, and ride the cable cars.

We drove over the bay bridge into the city, so that got checked off. We then checked into our hotel, and took the free shuttle to the SFO airport. We caught the BART from the airport terminal , and rode it to the Powell st station. As so as you exit the station you will see the booth that sells CC tickets. We then joined a long looking queue....that in reality only took 20 minutes. But we were well enterained by watching the roundabout work until it was our turn to board.

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

My DH managed to jockey into position for an outside ride going down...note that this really is outside, very close to traffic, and all you can do is hang on.

IMG_0764.JPG

we arrived at the other end of the line, and walked the 3 blocks to Pier 39 area.

There are some great views from the pier

IMG_0769.JPG

On the return trip my DD was brave (and quick) enough to grab an outside slot

IMG_0774.JPG

so now is my time to again confess that I do not like SF.

My rating 2 starts, worth doing once to remove from your "bucket List"

Oh, I love SF. I grew up an hour north of the city and we would venture down every once in awhile to do things. There are lots of interesting things that you didn't see so maybe the things that you did see just weren't that interesting to you? Alcatraz, Angel Island, Fisherman's Wharf, the Exploritorium, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown, just to name a few of the things that I've enjoyed in SF. I'm glad you were willing to give it a try though. I have to confess that I've never been on a cable car. I'll have to try it out some day. Thanks for the review and the pictures!

My first trip was as a 4 yo.....and I have been there off and on over my lifetime.I just don't like the city as compared to other places you can spend your time and money. I know so many who love it though.
Glad you enjoy the city and my pictures!

Hopefully at least your DD had a good time.

Woody

she did ! I would never ruin anyone's fun because I personally am less than thrilled. Actually I tried hard to have fun too knowing it was a one shot deal!

I loved San Francisco,the only thing I didn't like was the cable cars,paying $5 to ride a totally crowded car and basically not being able to move or see much was not what I pictured,I guess at least I can say I rode it.As far as the city itself and all the surrounding area it is so gorgeous and scenic especially for me coming from flat Florida,we also drove to Tahoe and that was just amazing.

You know, I'm about 40-60 min (traffic) from SF and I have yet to ride a cable car....OR go to Alcatraz!!! Hoping to have the Alcatraz marked off my list soon, well in a couple years, when friends from the UK come to visit. they will be doing SF and then heading down to DLR, I'm hoping to spend some time with them in SF when they get in. Planning on a 9er game (altho I'm a Raider Gal, he's a 9er Guy so I'll go LOL) and maybe some wine tasting but we don't know just yet what we will do. Hopefully they will be in SF long enough to spend some time together. :)

You know, I'm about 40-60 min (traffic) from SF and I have yet to ride a cable car....OR go to Alcatraz!!! Hoping to have the Alcatraz marked off my list soon, well in a couple years, when friends from the UK come to visit. they will be doing SF and then heading down to DLR, I'm hoping to spend some time with them in SF when they get in. Planning on a 9er game (altho I'm a Raider Gal, he's a 9er Guy so I'll go LOL) and maybe some wine tasting but we don't know just yet what we will do. Hopefully they will be in SF long enough to spend some time together. :)

I grew up 40-60 min from SF and I've never been on a cable car either! And i had never walked on the GG bridge until I was about 17 even though we drove over it all the time. I have been to Alcatraz a couple of times though.

You "locals" are funny

I grew up in San Jose and rode my first cable car about 12 years ago at about 32 years of age!
We rarely went into the City when I was a kid and if we did it was only to drive thru to Grandma's house in Sebastapol.

Then the cable cars were down for several years I believe while being refurbed.

We are planning a SFO trip this weekend and DD who is now old enough to hang off the side with her brother can hardly wait to go!

I have done both the day and night tours of Alcatraz (kids & DH night only) next week we will be returing to take the kids on the day tour.

Come on Friday! Judy, love your pictures glad your DD enjoyed herself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter