Returning to Japan, and TDR, February 2018

greenkai3000

DIS Veteran
Hey everybody,

We'll be returning to Japan, and TDR, this coming February.

We are curious to know what others who've visited both during that month have experienced. Cons: Shorter hours, and refurbishments? Extreme cold weather? Pros: less crowds, seasonal events and decorations? Cheaper everything?

Also, any recommendation on places to see in Japan within a 5 hour train ride would be very helpful. We've already seen most of Tokyo, and have visited Kyoto, as well as Nara. So we are looking to see something new, traditional... a must, without having to be in Sub-zero temperatures.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

RH

Definitely be prepared for the cold; I find it to be colder in January, but there can be some brisk days in February. Just glancing at the resort calendar, looks like there are shortened hours end of January/first week of February, but after that the parks are open late again. That should be before kids are out of school (school holidays in March before the new school year in April), but you may get some college students who are out. Refurbishments will vary; just glancing at the calendar there are a few already scheduled, so best to take a look at that if there are any must-see attractions for you. I personally love going to the parks during the winter months due to lower crowds, and there should be some limited goods for Valentine's around that time!

For things to see: have you been to Kamakura? It's one of my favorite day trips outside of Tokyo. I'd also recommend Enoshima by Kamkura (lots of shrines up the mountain, plus there's a fantastic spa/pool/onsen there). Nikko is also fun (it's where Tokugawa no Ieyasu is enshrined), and you can combine it with a stay in a ryokan and enjoy the onsen there. If you haven't done Odaiba before, could be a fun afternoon.

Definitely be prepared for the cold; I find it to be colder in January, but there can be some brisk days in February. Just glancing at the resort calendar, looks like there are shortened hours end of January/first week of February, but after that the parks are open late again. That should be before kids are out of school (school holidays in March before the new school year in April), but you may get some college students who are out. Refurbishments will vary; just glancing at the calendar there are a few already scheduled, so best to take a look at that if there are any must-see attractions for you. I personally love going to the parks during the winter months due to lower crowds, and there should be some limited goods for Valentine's around that time!

For things to see: have you been to Kamakura? It's one of my favorite day trips outside of Tokyo. I'd also recommend Enoshima by Kamkura (lots of shrines up the mountain, plus there's a fantastic spa/pool/onsen there). Nikko is also fun (it's where Tokugawa no Ieyasu is enshrined), and you can combine it with a stay in a ryokan and enjoy the onsen there. If you haven't done Odaiba before, could be a fun afternoon.

I'm very curious to see TDR's take on Valentine's Day. Wonder what special events, merch, and food they'll have.

Yes, we've been to Odaiba, but will surely keep your suggestions in mind Kyjin.

We enjoyed seeing Hiroshima and Miyajima. Also Osaka castle. Closer to Tokyo, we spent one day visiting Yokohama and another going up to Matsumoto.

Kanazawa just visited last month very easy from Tokyo i went from Nagoya while visiting my son very easy to go to the castle from the station you can walk or take bus free if you have JR pass theres a nice market loveley shops gardens are beautiful It will be cold but will be anywhere time of year.Old section has one of the oldest Geisha areas in Japan its beautiful .

Have been a couple times in February - we enjoy the frozen festival (the decorations, getting the unique foods and the parade is pretty cute). We get a package and stay on site - it's a little bit pricey but we save by doing cheaper accommodation on our non disney days. Some days were less crowds but one day we found ourselves during some end of high school celebration so there were high school kids everywhere (they were lovely though we took quite a few selfies waiting in lines with them!). Wait times for all the big rides were generally 80 minutes (Space, Thunder, Journey, Indy). But 20 minutes was probably the average that we would wait in line (we use fastpasses). One day it was sleeting/snowing and we were in disneysea and it was PACKED. We looked up the wait times app and saw Disneyland was dead and park hopped and rode SO many rides that were walk on! We found Disneysea a much colder park so rug up well - those cheap heat packs were great. We also chose to dine in Magellans when the weather was really poor and that was lovely!

We enjoyed travelling out to see the snow monkeys out past Nagano. We also stayed the night at Miyajima island which was fantastic.

Great responses so far. I'm very excited to experience the Frozen Festival at TDL. Do they have anything similar at TDS? Anything Valentine's related?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!