Return to River Country . . . And More! A New TCD Trip Report- April 2010

Here are some pics of the 1900 CS the last to be remodeled
IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Well sir, you have done it again. Great photos, and report. I am thinking that now we need to start a 'Post Your Picture from the Pioneer Hall Balcony' thread. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepcrew
Looks like a 2001 or 2002 Coleman Grand Tour Elite Utah. I have the same model, same add-a-room, etc. Bought ours new from the dealer in '01, last visited the Fort the week of Christmas.

Close. That my friend, is a 2000 Coleman Utah CP. Do you have the CP? Do you know what the CP is? I love the fact that it is emblazoned right there on the side of my camper.

I also bought mine new. In November 1999. We have had it for over 10 years now. And we have used the heck out of it! Best purchase I have ever made!

And, I see you are from U.C.L.A. I have a friend who I've mentioned before whose wife is from L.A. (Enterprise), and who tells people all the time that he is going to L.A. when they go to visit her family. Also, you have been a Disboard member since 2007, and you have four posts. What's up with that?
No Cassette Potti onboard...jest a little too little space (ie, air space...) for um, a CP. This is why you stay at campgrounds with fine CS facilities... We've taken our p/u all over the south and have enjoyed it as well.

TCD I am pretty sure some of the guys on the roof were plumbers. The reel on the roof is a camera reel for looking in the sewer lines. They had to be running the camera down the vent pipe. Also like you I have a little girl she is now 8 months old and she is awesome.

[:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Two thumbsup, just in case you missed that. I doubt you missed it with your superb super hero/spy/detective skills! Thanks for the great energy and effort in putting this together. A job well done!

My faves: The FWRR, Shimming up the TE balcony, everthing else and my personal fave....:hippie: (you know!)

If we cheer really loud, will there be an encore?:cheer2:
I really enjoyed reading your report - it makes me even more excited for our trip to the Fort this summer!

Thanks so much for some great reading! Do you have plans to return soon so that we hopefully can look forward to a sequel for some interesting summer reading?:beach:

hey thanks for all the tips. everytime we go i take my ds 5 exploring. with his age and stuff we will not be hunting down swap trail. but he loves the train ties. so to show him the complete train tracks he will be ecstatic. thanks for the report it was awesome

I greatly enjoyed the report, TCD. You have been sorely missed my friend. My favorite part? The rails!

I have a theory as to why these rails remain while they were removed everywhere else. Given the use of extra measures (bolted spike plates and gauge rods) I suspect that this was a troublesome section of rail, probably due to the swampiness. The crews who were recycling the rails may not have been equipped to handle the frozen bolts and rods used on this section of track and opted to just leave it. It would seem, from the photos at least, that they took all the spikes and spike plates that were not bolted... even on light rail projects there would be more plates than shown (on heavy rail it is spiked at every tie). It seems unlikely that they would take the plates and skip the rails unless they were just too much trouble for the return. Anyhow, it's a theory. I can't be there to see them myself, so I'll do what I can... theorize!

Thanks again
ShantaClausSm.png

I greatly enjoyed the report, TCD. You have been sorely missed my friend. My favorite part? The rails!

I have a theory as to why these rails remain while they were removed everywhere else. Given the use of extra measures (bolted spike plates and gauge rods) I suspect that this was a troublesome section of rail, probably due to the swampiness. The crews who were recycling the rails may not have been equipped to handle the frozen bolts and rods used on this section of track and opted to just leave it. It would seem, from the photos at least, that they took all the spikes and spike plates that were not bolted... even on light rail projects there would be more plates than shown (on heavy rail it is spiked at every tie). It seems unlikely that they would take the plates and skip the rails unless they were just too much trouble for the return. Anyhow, it's a theory. I can't be there to see them myself, so I'll do what I can... theorize!

Thanks again
ShantaClausSm.png

A few years back there were quite a few spikes and plates that were not bolted down. In fact I have read on other forums, and may have first hand knowledge of such being collected for 'souveneirs'.:3dglasses

Wow, I just went through like 7 pages since my last post.

Awesomeness all around. I really should start bringing a camera with me whereever i go, cell phone pics just don't quite cut it.

Thanks TCD - your post brought back so many fond memories. But I have a few questions. Maybe someone can help me out.

Okay, realistically I knew Minnie Moo wouldn't live forever...
fortwilderness001.jpg

But, you're telling me the goats are GONE?
fortwilderness002.jpg

as are the peacocks?

fortwilderness003.jpg

And what happened to the shoes in the shoe tree?:eek:

And why is the lawnmower tree a lawnmower stump?:confused:

What about the guy that drove around in his little delivery truck banging on his skillet who brought eggs to your campsite if you forgot them? Or the elf that hung Christmas stockings on your camper door on Christmas Eve? And the fresh air-conditioned tram?? Okay, I know - they're gone too.

Oh, it has been way too long since I have taken a trip to the Fort!! :drive:

Thanks TCD - your post brought back so many fond memories. But I have a few questions. Maybe someone can help me out.

as the peacock?

And what happened to the shoes in the shoe tree?:eek:

And why is the lawnmower tree a lawnmower stump?:confused:

What about the guy that drove around in his little delivery truck banging on his skillet who brought eggs to your campsite if you forgot them? Or the elf that hung Christmas stockings on your camper door on Christmas Eve? And the fresh air-conditioned tram?? Okay, I know - they're gone too.

Oh, it has been way too long since I have taken a trip to the Fort!! :drive:

Peacocks have been gone since about 2005. They were too noisy & too messy.

They cleaned out the shoe tree (someone help me out here) early 2009?

Lawnmower stump is no longer a tree thanks to lightning and the tree rotting.

Delivery truck has been gone since the late '70's - about the same time the train stopped running.

Buses replaced the trams in the early 80's.

The last Christmas stockings were delivered in 2002.

No more hammocks on the beach.

No more swimming in Bay Lake.

The petting zoo is now called a "look but don't touch" petting zoo.

The actual "wilderness" was removed in 2008-09 (it was a long process).

There is now a slide at the main pool and a spa at the cabin pool.

WOW! You are in serious need of a Fort vacation!!

WOW! You are in serious need of a Fort vacation!!

YES I AM! Thanks for all the info - I do try to get back every year, just for a visit, not a stay. My dh won't drive from MI to FL, like my dad did every year, so my best attempt at a stay was in the cabins. Just not the same. I am hoping maybe when we retire we can hope back on SB I-75!! Maybe they will put the fort back together the way it's supposed to be by then!:dance3:

They cleaned out the shoe tree (someone help me out here) early 2009?

Does anyone have a picture of the shoe tree? We stayed in the cabins a few times when our girls were little, but I don't remember anything about the tree (actually I don't remember the other stuff either). We started visiting the Fort again in April 2009. I don't think the tree was there then, but I'd love to see a picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!