Return to cruising after 20 years

LoveDaisy

DIS Veteran
I last cruised about 20 years ago and I know a lot has changed. Hoping someone might have some helpful advice.

We are tagging along on a cruise with some friends. It is the independence out of NJ next years. As I said we haven’t cruised to in years but this was a great deal and we enjoy traveling with friends and I remember cruising being lots of fun.

I have been on one other RC cruise so I don’t have status. If we do the unlimited dining will we be able to get reservations or because of lack of status/not concierge is it not worth buying?

Cococay - recommends for adults? (no kids)
Has anyone done coco beach club? Worth it? Cost? Can someone without status book it?

Port canaveral is I’m guessing an hour from Disney. Is it worth doing this excursion? Or did you get there and have to leave?

Any recommendations? Things we need to do or try?

I wouldn't worry about reservations if you decide to do Unlimited Dining. On Independence it looks like there are only 4 that would require reservations, so maybe make a reservation at Chops, Giovanni's, Izumi, and Chef's Table early. The rest you can figure out on-board.

CocoCay has so many free pools and beaches that I don't think the beach club is worth it, but it might be if you want to guarantee a quiet pool and area. Anyone can book it.

From what I hear, the Disney excursion through the ship drops you at the TTC and only gives you 4 hours of park time. You can get a little more by renting a car and doing it yourself, but in my opinion you're better off doing a beach day.

Port Canaveral is probably closer to 90 minutes from Disney (especially on a bus). I REALLY don't see it as worth it.

We were on Mariner in July and the only extra meal we paid for a "A Taste of Royal" lunch. We have had no issues with MDR food.

We stopped at Cococay, and to give you recommendations, it would help to know what you like to do. Do you like water slides? Do you want a "party scene"? Do you like sports (volleyball, etc)? Snorkling? Just chilling? There's LOTS to do.

I went to see our travel agent on Saturday and we are actually on the anthem

We are 4 couples in our 40s/50s. We are not looking for a party but do enjoy good food and drinks. I don’t see anyone going to the water park more lounging by a pool or the ocean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter