Return of the Porg - A June 2018 TR *updated 6/24 Epic DISmeet highlights day 7 COMPLETED!*

They don't sell the glass ornaments they make?! That seems so foolish and wasteful!

Oh man, I thought sitting in the last row of Splash helped a lot with not getting wet. But your poor dad begs to differ!!
That Brear plush is too cute.

Pretty castle pics!

Philharmagic is the perfect way to cool off!

Liver Lips! How awesome!

Aww that Brer Rabbit plush is so cute!!

Thank you!

Philharmagic is a perfect air-conditioned spot!

It's so fun to see the Country Bears out and about, even if I'm a bad Disney fan that rarely visits their attraction...

I'm still smitten with the Brer Rabbit plush. His feet are so floppy and perfect!

I love this little "hidden" section of Main St. A nice quiet place to relax just steps from the hustle and bustle.

This is the first time I paid much attention to it, and you're right, it's a lovely little area!

:laughing: At least it was a hot day!

Too true! Plus Contemporary is easy enough to change clothes

I am so glad to read your Cali Grill Brunch review! I have it booked for my next trip and keep going back and forth on whether I should keep it but I think you have me sold! How long did the whole brunch take?

I agree about Philharmagic. I love it but man that 3D could really use an upgrade! I wouldn't mind if they incorporated Tangled or Moana in there either!

I thought Cali Grill was just wonderful, and I'd highly recommend it. We had a very leisurely experience, and my best guess based on photo time stamps is about an hour and a half!

Oooh I'd love some Moana in there!

They don't sell the glass ornaments they make?! That seems so foolish and wasteful!

Oh man, I thought sitting in the last row of Splash helped a lot with not getting wet. But your poor dad begs to differ!!
That Brear plush is too cute.

I don't know if they never do, but they definitely just put the ornament back into the glass thingy to reuse later. Maybe at different times they'll actually sell them?

I think back row generally helps, but it was that cannon when you're going by the big final drop that got him!

Day 4 - June 24th - Festival of Fantasy!

We left off speeding through Adventureland to try to beat the parade, and then I made Dad speed walk through the Main Street shops. We were unsuccessful, but so close to making it out that the first float hadn't even passed! So I found a front row spot and watched while Dad stayed in the air conditioning.
42199590285_892a6ec647_c.jpg

Mmmm, chocolate!
28279101137_e0b78096cd_c.jpg

I have no photographic evidence, but Flynn smoldered at me. The best part of any parade!
28279095847_1be2befa8b_c.jpg

28279093067_2a6590844e_c.jpg

28279090447_0c699c94f3_c.jpg

Ariel loves her dinglehopper!
43148267681_0bdf5d572e_c.jpg

43148265811_e8ca026900_c.jpg

42429855744_b8e329af62_c.jpg

29276916338_01dc9da086_c.jpg

42429848574_95804e3eb8_c.jpg

Chase the wind and touch the sky!
42429844614_3d90bee129_c.jpg

42244141685_a49fa17f10_c.jpg

Oh look at this elaborate float! I liked it though, because Prince Philip smiled and winked at me. Yassss let all the princes fall in love with me!
42244139135_af13bccb81_c.jpg

42244137585_6c2eaa7945_c.jpg

Dad’s favorite!
42244135975_e8c10e195c_c.jpg

Cute little Jiminy!
42244134405_a024e5d466_c.jpg

42244131025_bfc6e4e2fe_c.jpg

28279070197_1e7e183d03_c.jpg

Daisy blew me a kiss. At first I thought she was doing it at the child next to me, but then she gestured that she liked my dress! What a stylish little duck.
42429478234_c7572489e6_c.jpg

42429476604_a05a4b0c8a_c.jpg

Chip came over and held my hand and then made a bunny motion at me, since I was holding Brer Rabbit, and then hopped along! Love those chipmunks.

And last, but not least, Mickey blew me a kiss and made a bunny ears symbol too! Everyone just loved Brer Rabbit.
42429473934_584f27101a_c.jpg

28278775357_ccd89634d6_c.jpg

When the parade ended a woman behind me commented that she loved watching interactions when people know the performers and I was like “haha no, I don’t know anyone! I’m just super enthusiastic”. I did get a lot of character interaction though, and it was a super fun parade, albeit scorching hot.

We were finally able to leave the park on trusty monorail gold, and just in time as a storm was rolling in!
43104313041_e432978ebb_c.jpg

43104291371_7302cc81bb_c.jpg

We hadn't spent much time in the Magic Kingdom, but the champagne and heat were getting to us, plus it was time to
check out our room!

Up next: Contemporary room tour!

Last edited:
I love the Magic Kingdom parades but I think one thing I have decided upon is to never watch one in the summer again. So hot! You got some great pictures though and it sounds like you had fun with the character interactions!

I showed Dad the glass blowing section, though no glass blower was out at the moment.
I didn't know there was a glass blowing studio in MK. Must check it out next week!

After making a new best friend Dad and I went to watch the glass blowing presentation.
Haha, I love how that little girl told you her life story!

I stopped for a selfie at the best bathrooms in the world!
Cute pic!

On the first cannon we got a nice little sprinkle of water, and then there was a bucket of water that dumped over Dad, like Moana with the ocean. I’d attach that gif at this point, but that’s a lot of effort! Anyway, I couldn’t stop laughing!
So funny! The same thing happened to my oldest DS and I back on our first trip in 2009. We got SOAKED while my DH and other two sons didn't get so much as a drop on them.

Daisy blew me a kiss. At first I thought she was doing it at the child next to me, but then she gestured that she liked my dress! What a stylish little duck.
It is such a cute dress! Where did you find it?

Your photos from the parade were great! Loved the shots you got, I might or might not have went and played the soundtrack because I was wishing I was watching the show. :goodvibes

Your parade pics are awesome…what luck! I've never had that much character interaction, but I typically stand at the back of the parade crowd. Your way looks more fun!

Can't wait for your CR room tour :-)

I love the Magic Kingdom parades but I think one thing I have decided upon is to never watch one in the summer again. So hot! You got some great pictures though and it sounds like you had fun with the character interactions!

Oh, I agree! It was scorching hot. I just got lucky with a spot - could never have waited! And then while the parade was on I was able to forget that I was standing in direct sunlight, baking. I remembered the second it ended :rotfl2:

I didn't know there was a glass blowing studio in MK. Must check it out next week!

I didn't know until this year either! It's so fun how there's always new stuff to be discovered!

Haha, I love how that little girl told you her life story!

It was adorable! Love friendly little kids!

Cute pic!

Thank you! To me I just look hot and sweaty in all these pics :rotfl:

So funny! The same thing happened to my oldest DS and I back on our first trip in 2009. We got SOAKED while my DH and other two sons didn't get so much as a drop on them.

Splash is very selective at times!

It is such a cute dress! Where did you find it?

It's a Lauren Conrad dress from Kohls. She really makes the cutest stuff!

Your photos from the parade were great! Loved the shots you got, I might or might not have went and played the soundtrack because I was wishing I was watching the show. :goodvibes

Thank you! It's a festival of fantasyyyyyyyyy!

Your parade pics are awesome…what luck! I've never had that much character interaction, but I typically stand at the back of the parade crowd. Your way looks more fun!

Can't wait for your CR room tour :-)

Thank you! You should try being up front and smiling and waving at everyone like a child! Really helps encourage those interactions. Holding an adorable Brer Rabbit plush doesn't hurt either!

Coming right up!

Day 4 - June 24th - Contemporary Room Tour!

When we left off we had just spent a hot afternoon at Magic Kingdom, and taken the monorail back to our resort! When we got back to the Contemporary we grabbed our bags and headed up to room 4708. That was on the 11th floor (fun trick: the first two numbers add up to the floor level!) and I’m pretty sure that is the highest possible floor without being club level, so I was stoked!

42243704325_08375fea06_c.jpg

Once in the room I had to run and check out the view and I was not disappointed!
42199598385_268f03be4a_c.jpg

28235174397_5673c0b28b_c.jpg

Dad was already in relaxation mode, so you’ll have to forgive the less than perfect room photos!
28278773627_d945e9bfe3_c.jpg

28278772517_eec823e24d_c.jpg

Oh man was I excited to have a well-lit bathroom with an actual makeup mirror! The sinks in these bathrooms are kind of awful and don’t drain but who cares because THE LIGHTS!
28278771187_37e098a291_c.jpg

28278769877_5990d73b8e_c.jpg

This is a bit blurry, but this little area was super convenient, and the fridge is right below it.
28278768357_098b4e530f_c.jpg

Dad enjoyed the view too (and then he went to sleep, all that champagne had caught up to him!)
28278767047_2c33768e9d_c.jpg

Look! I could see Wilderness Lodge from my room!
28278765707_fe08198067_c.jpg

And here’s the TV area. Kinda weird that there’s no dresser.
28278764337_c03d54c347_c.jpg

Because it was raining pretty hard this boat was stuck at the dock for the duration.
42243708875_6b77f629ef_c.jpg

Next I went outside to check out the view in the concourse. Kind of dizzying actually, but I loved it!
42243706455_48870ff35d_c.jpg

42243702415_ddcb6715ba_c.jpg

42243700565_a3461bea27_c.jpg

42243698755_33c492fe42_c.jpg

42243695225_b42af343a1_c.jpg

While Dad napped I went to Contempo Café and grabbed a snack and some Diet Coke. The tower rooms are so conveniently located; just a short elevator ride to all the shops and restaurants! I settled on some homemade chips and they were the perfect crunchy little snack.
29276430148_75ba67fa38_c.jpg

Dad was still napping so I passed some more time by trying to make out what I could see in the distance. Of course, there’s Epcot.
29276429158_46b379b08b_c.jpg

I thought this was probably Volcano Bay. I’m pretty directionally challenged, but I don’t know what else it could be!
29276428098_5d8d265df0_c.jpg

And there’s my beloved Tower!
29276426288_fae513a9c2_c.jpg

The rain began to clear up as the sun was starting to get lower in the sky. It was so pretty. I still can’t get over this view!
29276426988_5176769091_c.jpg

The ferry boat from earlier was returning to service. I suppose for part of the day they run just one boat?
29276425288_18b0156f4e_c.jpg

Ugh too pretty! A theme park view might be nice, but a lot of it looks over the parking lot.
29276422738_a6d3c02031_c.jpg

And the last photo before I got antsy and made Dad wake up.
29231921798_6364eba4cb_c.jpg

I had originally thought that we’d go check out the monorail resorts since it was raining, but then the storm let up so I altered the plan to Magic Kingdom. And because of the storm our 4:50 pm Mine Train FP had become an anytime FP!

Up next: Back to the Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
Next I went outside to check out the view in the concourse. Kind of dizzying actually, but I loved it!

Gorgeous, I love looking down like that in the CR :love:

We fell in love with the CR back in 2010, and we kind of miss staying there now that we are DVC members. Your Bay Lake view is beautiful! What kind of camera do you have that has that incredible zoom?

Gorgeous, I love looking down like that in the CR :love:

We fell in love with the CR back in 2010, and we kind of miss staying there now that we are DVC members. Your Bay Lake view is beautiful! What kind of camera do you have that has that incredible zoom?

I did too! Our room location was really so perfect, and I spent SO much time on the balcony staring at the lovely view.

It's a Canon sx730! It's a pretty decent camera and not terribly expensive. I also really like that I can send photos to my phone wirelessly!

I don't know, I've never had much interest in staying at the Contemporary other than, perhaps, the convenience. I'm more of a vintage style, and the modern décor just doesn't appeal to me. However, I enjoy seeing your room tours. What a lovely view!

Hi Kara! I'm super late to the party, but wanted to say your TR is soooo fun! Did you do the DCP???? My son just finished an extended program and loved every minute of it. I only ask because you said you worked at The Mara...

And because of the storm our 4:50 pm Mine Train FP had become an anytime FP!

Bonus!

The room looks nice and the view is incredible. I would stay there if it was covered by somebody else :laughing: but for the amount of money a tower room costs I could be staying in at the Poly or the GF which I much prefer theming wise. To each their own though and that is why WDW resorts are so great, there is something for everybody!

Love the view at the Contemporary! And I am looking forward to seeing the parade this time (we kept missing it last trip), though hopefully not as hot in November.

Also I had no idea there was a glassblower at MK! Will have to check that out too!

The view from your room was so relaxing, and there was so much to see. Epcot, TOT, Wilderness Lodge...pretty fun sights to spot. My husband's favorite resort is the Contemporary, and seeing your pictures reminded me how much he loved being so close to the monorail and the shops. The resort definitely provides a unique vibe that no other WDW resort has.

Joined and caught up fully. Thanks for the awesome TR. Your dad is a pretty cool dude and I admire that he enjoys it so much and likes his cold beer, just like me. Awesoe pics too. Looking for good camera, inexpensive, before our trip this Dec.

I don't know, I've never had much interest in staying at the Contemporary other than, perhaps, the convenience. I'm more of a vintage style, and the modern décor just doesn't appeal to me. However, I enjoy seeing your room tours. What a lovely view!

I agree with you; the great location doesn't completely sell it to me. However, the rooms were fantastic and I was obsessed with the view!

Hi Kara! I'm super late to the party, but wanted to say your TR is soooo fun! Did you do the DCP???? My son just finished an extended program and loved every minute of it. I only ask because you said you worked at The Mara...

Hello! Never late to this party!

I did do the DCP way back in 2006 and worked at The Mara and In-Room Dining at AKL! Where was your son's role?

Bonus!

The room looks nice and the view is incredible. I would stay there if it was covered by somebody else :laughing: but for the amount of money a tower room costs I could be staying in at the Poly or the GF which I much prefer theming wise. To each their own though and that is why WDW resorts are so great, there is something for everybody!

Such a bonus! Really worked out great for us!

I agree with you! Though the rooms are some of the nicest and I'm not sure I've ever had a better view at Disney! The crazy deal will never happen again, so I doubt I ever get to stay in the tower again anyway.

Love the view at the Contemporary! And I am looking forward to seeing the parade this time (we kept missing it last trip), though hopefully not as hot in November.

Also I had no idea there was a glassblower at MK! Will have to check that out too!

It was an amazing view! The parade is really good, I hope you get to see it and that the sun doesn't burn you to a crisp :rotfl:

Isn't it so cool? Idk how so many of us have missed the giant kiln but apparently it isn't well known :laughing:

The view from your room was so relaxing, and there was so much to see. Epcot, TOT, Wilderness Lodge...pretty fun sights to spot. My husband's favorite resort is the Contemporary, and seeing your pictures reminded me how much he loved being so close to the monorail and the shops. The resort definitely provides a unique vibe that no other WDW resort has.

So much to see! I never tired of the view.

That really confirms that there's a Disney hotel for everyone! I enjoyed my stay there but it's by no means my favorite. Hopefully you guys get to return there very soon!

Joined and caught up fully. Thanks for the awesome TR. Your dad is a pretty cool dude and I admire that he enjoys it so much and likes his cold beer, just like me. Awesoe pics too. Looking for good camera, inexpensive, before our trip this Dec.

Welcome! He is a very cool dude who very much likes a cold beer, especially while on vacation!

My camera is the Canon sx730, it has served me well!

Great parade photos! It's so nice when the characters show so much love!

Great views from your room!

Thank you! I just love photographing the parade, and it's even better when the characters interact!

Could not agree more! I spent so much time on that
balcony

Hello! Never late to this party!

I did do the DCP way back in 2006 and worked at The Mara and In-Room Dining at AKL! Where was your son's role?

He worked in custodial on Main Street in the MK and LOVED every minute of it. He was there from January to the very beginning of August. He's hoping to go back after he finishes his last 3 semesters of college.:smickey:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!