Return of the Porg - A June 2018 TR *updated 6/24 Epic DISmeet highlights day 7 COMPLETED!*

Enjoying your report!

And I learned something new...had no idea about ToT and Morroco!

The UK was next up. I had considered detouring us to the Boardwalk to have Ample Hills, but it was honestly so hot that ice cream didn’t sound appealing. I know that sounds crazy, but surely I’m not the only one who thinks ice cream can be a bit too heavy on a super hot day?

Not crazy, not to mention to get said ice cream you would have had to make the hot trek over to the Boardwalk in that hot beating sun.

I told Dad about the drama concerning the fish and chips at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop. For those not in the know, apparently the Fish Shop swapped out cod, a fish commonly used in authentic UK fish and chips, for tilapia A TERRIBLE BOTTOM FEEDER THAT NOBODY SHOULD EVER EAT EVER AND IT’S SO TERRIBLE HOW DARE DISNEY.

:rotfl:

I bought a ticket to the August 4th Disney After Hours event!

That event looks awesome! Wish they had it going while I was there.

But I was so hot the air conditioning couldn’t make me feel better. After a little sulking (how do people handle heat well?)

Right!?? I don't know how people do it!! I'm terrible with the heat. It absolutely zaps me and makes me a lousy person to be around.

I know that sounds crazy, but surely I’m not the only one who thinks ice cream can be a bit too heavy on a super hot day?

I actually agree with this. :thumbsup2

I told Dad about the drama concerning the fish and chips at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop. For those not in the know, apparently the Fish Shop swapped out cod, a fish commonly used in authentic UK fish and chips, for tilapia A TERRIBLE BOTTOM FEEDER THAT NOBODY SHOULD EVER EAT EVER AND IT’S SO TERRIBLE HOW DARE DISNEY.

:rotfl: I hadn't heard about this before! But because I live in the "Maritime" provinces of Canada, where fresh seafood abounds, I feel like I can relate to this. People here are VERY particular about their seafood. I briefly worked at a restaurant chain that had excellent fish and chips made with haddock, and the fact that people around here thought they were good enough to order was saying something! Then they had a full menu change across the country and changed the fish to pollock. Our manager went to the head office people and plead her case, because she knew people around here would turn up their noses at the "cheap" fish, and they'd never order the fish again. She convinced them, and so the restaurants in this area were the only ones in the chain to keep the haddock! #haddockwin

Also, I'm not a fan of tilapia. I don't know why. I like almost any other kind of fish. Including cod. :confused3

We also spied a soft shell turtle in the water. AT least I think that’s what Dad called it.
28279898977_ab84bc934d_c.jpg

Cool!!

I'm right there with you... I cannot deal with the heat well at all... and it takes me forever to cool down these days... I'm thinking January might be a good time of year for me and Disney.

By the end of the trip I acclimated... or it was less hot. January is probably a great time! I've been in December and March, and both times have been borderline cold.

Enjoying your report!

And I learned something new...had no idea about ToT and Morroco!

Thank you! :goodvibes

They did a good job with it, right?

Not crazy, not to mention to get said ice cream you would have had to make the hot trek over to the Boardwalk in that hot beating sun.

That's true! If Ample Hills had magically appeared before me I'd have probably eaten it. That walkway to Boardwalk has no shade!

Disney changes can be very dramatic :lmao:

That event looks awesome! Wish they had it going while I was there.

It is awesome! Maybe you should just return in August :teeth:

Right!?? I don't know how people do it!! I'm terrible with the heat. It absolutely zaps me and makes me a lousy person to be around.

I didn't realize I was so bad with it until this trip :laughing:

And yet, here I go back to Disney in August... The things we do for Disney!

I actually agree with this. :thumbsup2

Whew, I thought I was just crazy for a bit.

Also in cold/colder weather the ice cream doesn't melt as fast, and that's nice

:rotfl: I hadn't heard about this before! But because I live in the "Maritime" provinces of Canada, where fresh seafood abounds, I feel like I can relate to this. People here are VERY particular about their seafood. I briefly worked at a restaurant chain that had excellent fish and chips made with haddock, and the fact that people around here thought they were good enough to order was saying something! Then they had a full menu change across the country and changed the fish to pollock. Our manager went to the head office people and plead her case, because she knew people around here would turn up their noses at the "cheap" fish, and they'd never order the fish again. She convinced them, and so the restaurants in this area were the only ones in the chain to keep the haddock! #haddockwin

Also, I'm not a fan of tilapia. I don't know why. I like almost any other kind of fish. Including cod. :confused3

It was a big thread in the restaurants forum - I'm sure tilapia isn't an appropriate fish for fish & chips but it was very over the top :laughing:

That's amazing that your manager was able to prevent a change in a restaurant like that! Also I'm jealous you live in an area with amazing seafood!

When I was just getting into fish I liked tilapia, and it'll do in a pinch, but there's definitely better fish out there!

Such a strange looking little guy!

Argh! I had a beautiful multi quote response almost completely done and the page reloaded and ate it :sad:

I'm still here and enjoying, even if internet gremlins are preventing me from responding as I would like!!!

Argh! I had a beautiful multi quote response almost completely done and the page reloaded and ate it :sad:

I'm still here and enjoying, even if internet gremlins are preventing me from responding as I would like!!!

Those darn internet gremlins!

(It was mostly a post of me whining about the heat anyway.... :rolleyes1)

Day 2 – June 22nd – Guardians Awesome Mix Live!

Once at America I looked around at the store and the stands. There was lots of Guardians of the Galaxy stuff but nothing that really caught my eye. I ALMOST bought the baby Groot sipper, but talked myself out of it.
42198197145_7ca6abd234_c.jpg

I did buy some treats, however, which we took to seats in the amphitheater. A beer and an adorable Guardians cupcake. I actually forgot to take a picture of the beer, but I’m sure you can use your imagination. I took a picture of the sign, though, so I wouldn’t forget what it was! It wasn’t my favorite, the strawberry flavor was a bit artificial tasting, and once it got warm, which happens very quickly in florida, I liked it even less.
43052808302_07c0d05093_c.jpg

The cupcake was delicious! Chocolate with vanilla buttercream, which is my favorite flavor combo. It’s classic and just perfection. And the little crunchy balls on top added some nice contrast in texture!
43046925272_b18d4ce9de_c.jpg

43102996291_834ece3ae4_c.jpg

Sam arrived shortly after. Her parents went back to the hotel since they had conquered all of Future World and were planning World Showcase on another day. Sam helped me eat the cupcake, which was good because it was so rich.

The Guardians Awesome Mix Live show started at 6:45. I guess the premise is that the Xandarians and Peter Quill started an outreach group on Earth to spread their culture to us. They plan to play music but Peter thinks Xandarian music is awful so he shows up on an emergency mission to save us from bad music. Baby Groot helps out via the big screen, and Gamora disapproves of the whole affair. Eventually she does break down and dance a little bit!
28279894197_175facb8e0_c.jpg

41285952190_8ce406b12b_c.jpg

28279892647_b894c5aa2d_c.jpg

You’re either a Gamora or you’re a Peter.
28279891327_fe4b6b454f_c.jpg

Gamora stared me down when I took this picture and I got very embarrassed.
42430671894_1f43e8c1e3_c.jpg

If you’ve seen the Guardians of the Galaxy movies you know they’ve got some great music, so this stage show is really a lot of fun. They also use a surprising amount of pyro for a fairly small, covered stage.
42430670654_72321d114b_c.jpg

I thought all the performers and characters were great. Peter especially looked really good, and really had Peter Quill’s mannerisms down. His voice wasn’t quite right, but maybe he just had a cold that day?
29277794258_310ede6ef1_c.jpg

29277792558_aec521383c_c.jpg

29277789218_e8c3f123da_c.jpg

29277784828_7c15081d6c_c.jpg

Gamora gets into the action.
29277782618_9f5cd329e6_c.jpg

29230473758_f673f09caf_c.jpg

The show ends with “I Want You Back” which seems to be the biggest crowd pleaser. I know it was my favorite!
43102991801_a2fcfbae2b_c.jpg

42198197165_14ef6ce4a6_c.jpg

Something then attacks the Guardians ship and poor baby Groot so they have to exit hastily!
43097064971_23ff3046a8_c.jpg

All in all I thought it was a really fun show. Even if you haven’t seen Guardians I think you could enjoy the live music and the antics. And it’s not too long, or crowded so wouldn’t require much time commitment

Up next: I finally get to leave Epcot!

Last edited:

I'm sure the heat was unbearable! Hopefully the rain helped cool it down a bit!

The Guardians show seems like fun, glad you got to see it!

I'm also going to buy Disney gift cards from Target to pay off my hotel room with. It's not a huge savings, but any little bit counts!

Finally, all caught up with your trip reports. My wife buys all our gift cards from Target with her Red Card, so we get the 5% off. Saving every little bit helps.

Fun day at GoTG! I was gonna get that cupcake but since I got the ice cream martini there was no way I was eating anything sweet for a while.
I thought the show was fun and the music was great! Not a must do but when walking around World Showcase you can't help but bop to the music anyways...

I hadn’t seen Impressions de France in at least a decade, but today was the day! I was going to watch it again… because I wanted the air conditioning and a place to sit. The film was pretty good, I had no idea France had that much diversity in landscapes. The air conditioning didn’t work that well, but it was a reprieve from the sun so it helped my mood tremendously.
I need to see it again now that I've visited places more recently!

The UK was next up. I had considered detouring us to the Boardwalk to have Ample Hills, but it was honestly so hot that ice cream didn’t sound appealing. I know that sounds crazy, but surely I’m not the only one who thinks ice cream can be a bit too heavy on a super hot day?
I definitely feel the same way about scooped ice cream. Soft serve - that one is better because it's easier to eat and just feels cooler!

Dad needed his traditional Bodingtons. Only they gave it to him in a plastic cup. You might remember that Dad really prefers real glasses. Oh well.
43102995231_836430cf5c_c.jpg
I can tell he is very unimpressed!

Ewww, nope nope nope. Yes to cod, no to tilapia. Guess I'll be skipping it until they switch back; do you know if they changed Rose & Crown's one too?

So I was just up and looking around at the Disney website, and I decided to modify my Toy Story Mania FP on my first night to see if there was anything available for either of the new rides and lo and behold THERE WAS. Sitting there, waiting for me, was a FP for Alien Swirling Saucers at exactly the perfect time! My Toy Story Mania FP had been at 7:45, and this one was at 7:25. Wow am I excited! I've been reading that Saucers can be a worse wait at night due to a side going down, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this FP!
Yay! I also was reading about how if you get up early enough for Rope Drop you can get A LOT done! Like Slinky x2, Saucers, TSMM, meeting the characters, all before 10am!

The cupcake was delicious! Chocolate with vanilla buttercream, which is my favorite flavor combo. It’s classic and just perfection. And the little crunchy balls on top added some nice contrast in texture!
43046925272_b18d4ce9de_c.jpg
It looks pretty!

Every review I see of this show makes me more and more interested to try to squeeze it in at the beginning of our August trip before it leaves Epcot! Sounds like it was a fun time :)

What the bleep is going on with the Fish shop, why Change the fish, cheaper I guess and they can charge more.

The Guardians of the Galaxy show looks really fun, hoping to see this in August!

(It was mostly a post of me whining about the heat anyway.... :rolleyes1)
Don't worry my responses were mostly me empathizing and/or pontificating on the merits of ice cream in the middle of the afternoon :rotfl:

The cupcake was delicious! Chocolate with vanilla buttercream, which is my favorite flavor combo. It’s classic and just perfection. And the little crunchy balls on top added some nice contrast in texture
That is so cute! I'm glad it tasted good too! My track record with those fancy cupcakes is about 50%.

All in all I thought it was a really fun show. Even if you haven’t seen Guardians I think you could enjoy the live music and the antics. And it’s not too long, or crowded so wouldn’t require much time commitment
Hmm... I watched this on YouTube when the show first started and thought it was awful but I am intrigued now - maybe they've hit their stride after doing way more of these. It is low commitment so maybe we'll check it out next month :thumbsup2

Maybe because the Flight of Passage entrance is always such a cluster I had never noticed the banshee figure out front before.

I never noticed that, either!

Like, wow.

There is nothing as pretty as the sky Florida sunsets :love:

So, I think it did ok, but I really hoped it would do better. Honestly, with any sort of movement the phone produces blurry pictures, which I guess makes sense but STILL.

Those came out great, much better than my 8.

I grabbed a box of Mickey rice krispies since last time I had seen them at the start of the trip and then never been able to find them again.

My favorite :lovestruc

I'm going back to Disney World August 2-7!!

Awesome!

Well, I had enough Southwest points to book the roundtrip flight and I still have my annual pass so that's two things paid for.

And then I found a great AP rate at Pop Century and the rest is history!

Disney math :thumbsup2

I saw this blanket in Mouse Gear that I made a mental note to possibly buy later. This design is just way too cute!

That is cute…I didn't see that in April.

I was so shocked - she didn't seem to hate it! I've tried this on 4 people - one didn't fall for it, one LIKED it, one was the negative reaction I was hoping for... and then Sam. So after talking to her it turns out she didn't like it either but she didn't want to hurt my feelings since I had hyped it up and told her how much I loved it. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: She is quite the actress, and so polite!

I’ll be the first to admit that at this point in the day I was less than agreeable. The heat was really getting to me and I had wanted to go back to our beautiful resort for an afternoon break and return in time for the 8 pm Guardians show. But it was getting later in the afternoon it was starting to feel too late to take a break. So. I was cranky. And it was hot.

EPCOT wears me out, too. I can't spend a whole day there, I need to break it up.

Second piece of info: I bought a ticket to the August 4th Disney After Hours event!

I'm jealous, I wish they were having this in October :sad2:

I have tried a couple times to sit through GOTG and I haven't made it past 10 minutes. I'm sure DH will want to go see this show, though since he's a huge GOTG fan. The show looks fun anyway, especially since I grew up with all that music :P

I'm sure the heat was unbearable! Hopefully the rain helped cool it down a bit!

The Guardians show seems like fun, glad you got to see it!

Yes the rain helped a ton!

It was really fun... still not sure it fits in Epcot, but I guess times are changing

Finally, all caught up with your trip reports. My wife buys all our gift cards from Target with her Red Card, so we get the 5% off. Saving every little bit helps.

It's a really smart way to do it, and the money adds up in the end.

Fun day at GoTG! I was gonna get that cupcake but since I got the ice cream martini there was no way I was eating anything sweet for a while.
I thought the show was fun and the music was great! Not a must do but when walking around World Showcase you can't help but bop to the music anyways...

Oh yeah, the cupcake was really sweet and rich too!

It was fun! Definitely not a must do, but the music is nice and the show is really the perfect length.

Turned out to be a good photo! I really enjoyed this show as well.

Thanks! I always get so flustered when I'm trying for candids and then they look right at my camera :laughing:

I need to see it again now that I've visited places more recently!

It made me want to visit some of those places! Jealous if you've been there!

I definitely feel the same way about scooped ice cream. Soft serve - that one is better because it's easier to eat and just feels cooler!

I can see that! Scooped ice cream is definitely richer. I almost never order soft serve though :confused3

I can tell he is very unimpressed!

It's probably his favorite thing in Disney and plastic glasses just won't do!

Ewww, nope nope nope. Yes to cod, no to tilapia. Guess I'll be skipping it until they switch back; do you know if they changed Rose & Crown's one too?

According to the long thread Rose & Crowne's are the same!

Yay! I also was reading about how if you get up early enough for Rope Drop you can get A LOT done! Like Slinky x2, Saucers, TSMM, meeting the characters, all before 10am!

I think I must have read the same post! It'll be hard for me since I work nights, but I'm thinking about waking up early to do that. Plus it'll probably be better early in the morning or late at night since there seems to be so little cover from the sun

It looks pretty!

It was! So glittery and fun

Every review I see of this show makes me more and more interested to try to squeeze it in at the beginning of our August trip before it leaves Epcot! Sounds like it was a fun time :)

I thought it was fun! A little cheesy, but I wasn't disappointed!

What the bleep is going on with the Fish shop, why Change the fish, cheaper I guess and they can charge more.

The Guardians of the Galaxy show looks really fun, hoping to see this in August!

No idea! I honestly never eat there, but my brother is obsessed with it. I'm sure tilapia is much cheaper!

I hope you get to see it in August - it's a very cute little show!

So cute and delicious looking! I wonder if they'll have these for longer than the summer.

I have the Groot sipper from last May and I love it :rotfl:

Can't pass up baby Groot!

Maybe I'll buy the sipper next time I'm there. It is SUPER cute

Don't worry my responses were mostly me empathizing and/or pontificating on the merits of ice cream in the middle of the afternoon :rotfl:

Whew, a kindred spirit! :banana:

That is so cute! I'm glad it tasted good too! My track record with those fancy cupcakes is about 50%.

Isn't it precious? Baby Groot elevates everything. I think the key with this cupcake is that it wasn't trying too hard. Some of those fancy cupcakes have so much icing and decoration and go for some crazy flavors. This was just a classic cupcake done very well.

Hmm... I watched this on YouTube when the show first started and thought it was awful but I am intrigued now - maybe they've hit their stride after doing way more of these. It is low commitment so maybe we'll check it out next month :thumbsup2

Maybe it depends on how Star-Lord is feeling that day, if you catch my drift :rotfl:

It's definitely cheesy, but I really like the movies and the songs, and it was nice to drink a beer and sit for a while!

I never noticed that, either!

It's gotta be because the entrance is always swarmed. Or we're all blind :rotfl2:

There is nothing as pretty as the sky Florida sunsets :love:

So true!

Those came out great, much better than my 8.

Thank you! The camera is the main reason I wanted the X so I'm glad it mostly lives up to the hype

My favorite :lovestruc

Me too! Which is strange because I'm not even a fan or rice krispie treats, ordinarily.

:woohoo:

Disney math :thumbsup2

The only time I'm good at math :laughing:

That is cute…I didn't see that in April.

I don't think I saw it in March either. Maybe it's newer?
:rotfl2: She is quite the actress, and so polite!

I know! It may not have been the reaction I was hoping for, but it's still so funny!

EPCOT wears me out, too. I can't spend a whole day there, I need to break it up.

It's all so spread out!

I'm jealous, I wish they were having this in October :sad2:

That'd be nice! It's a much less crowded event than MNSSHP

I have tried a couple times to sit through GOTG and I haven't made it past 10 minutes. I'm sure DH will want to go see this show, though since he's a huge GOTG fan. The show looks fun anyway, especially since I grew up with all that music :P

I really think the music will appeal to anyone! Maybe seeing the show will help you get through the movie?

Day 2 - June 22nd - Finally leaving Epcot!

After the show we headed out of World Showcase, with a brief stop at Karamell Kuche. I got a dark chocolate caramel square, and the caramel butter bar, though it seems I failed to take a picture of them.
42384345784_e4674a3dd6_c.jpg

29277778438_8caeaf686d_c.jpg

The Incredibles monorail!
29277775148_5718ae9eb7_c.jpg

Before exiting the park we stopped in Mouse Gear because Sam wanted to purchase a shirt for her BF.

And I went ahead and bought that throw blanket I had admired earlier.

A little poorer we continued toward the exit of the park.
43046986472_3279084ff0_c.jpg

Spaceship Earth is so neat in the golden hour.
43103040021_e3b968d243_c.jpg

42198195235_7349e022c4_c.jpg

We were treated to a rainbow too! It’s hard to see, but it was a double rainbow. I kept trying to get the perfect shot of the rainbow with Spaceship Earth.
29230473628_72696c94e4_c.jpg

41291631160_9e2876c012_c.jpg

43103044271_4d540c4160_c.jpg

43102991751_7043e8f571_c.jpg

We said goodbye to Sam at the bus stop—she was lucky enough to have a bus waiting for her, but Dad and I only had about a 10 minute wait for a bus.

Finally we were back at AKL, and we could soak in its loveliness.
41291656020_8dbaeaa687_c.jpg

29224738738_e6885197f5_c.jpg

They had Big Hero 6 playing outside, with lounge chairs pulled up. A cute setup, but I think I liked it better at the Poly!
43103044911_002217e59b_c.jpg

Enjoy the resort meant sitting at the pool bar for Dad.
41291629140_b21d2e31bf_c.jpg

I wandered to an animal overlook. They had the night vision goggles out, but there weren’t really any animals close enough to look at.

I took a picture of these rooms, which are at the very end of a wing, as far from the lobby as you can get, and look out over what is probably a decently busy sidewalk. They seem like terrible rooms, but maybe they aren’t?
28228221077_de1ec89c8c_c.jpg

Another view of the outdoor movie setup.
41291633410_848c9f5c42_c.jpg

I then went to The Mara and picked out some food, which I brought back to the pool bar to share with Dad.
41291629640_bef6cc14d6_c.jpg

Crispy Chicken BLT Sandwich with Berbere Bacon and Buttermilk Ranch on Artisanal Cheese Bread and choice of Side

This was really delicious and HUGE. There were two chicken patties on it, so it was perfect for sharing, and still super filling. The bread was really delicous and cheesy.

I considered swimming afterward, but if I didn’t swim I wouldn’t need to wash my hair so I passed. Fun fact about me: I hate washing my hair! Instead I think we turned in a bit early. And I took this picture of the toiletries provided at AKL in case anyone was curious!
43052821272_4ae6d33259_c.jpg

Up next: Breakfast and DHS!

Last edited:
Wow, gorgeous golden hour photos of everyone's favorite geodesic sphere :lovestruc

We were treated to a rainbow too! It’s hard to see, but it was a double rainbow
"But what does it meeeeaaan?"

Finally we were back at AKL, and we could soak in its loveliness
Ahhh, paradise!

Enjoy the resort meant sitting at the pool bar for Dad
You know despite my love of resort lounging and adult beverages I have never actually sat at any pool bar. Guess it's hard to stay put with the pool loungers nearby! And though I've stayed at AKL more than any other resort I've still never had a drink or relaxed at Victoria Falls Lounge, either. AKL fan fail!

I took a picture of these rooms, which are at the very end of a wing, as far from the lobby as you can get, and look out over what is probably a decently busy sidewalk. They seem like terrible rooms, but maybe they aren’t?
Once we stayed at THE VERY DANG END of kudu trail and I swear it was about 12 miles from the lobby. While the walk nearly required provisions, we were rewarded with amazing animal viewing since it was so near to the backstage barn. All that to say, maybe there are tradeoffs for those rooms?

This was really delicious and HUGE. There were two chicken patties on it, so it was perfect for sharing, and still super filling. The bread was really delicous and cheesy
I've never seen this before but it looks great! Perfect for sharing :thumbsup2

Fun fact about me: I hate washing my hair!
Kindred spirits for real. It just takes too long to dry and style afterward!!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!