Return of the Porg - A June 2018 TR *updated 6/24 Epic DISmeet highlights day 7 COMPLETED!*

My friend, Katy, is really into natural wines and one of her favorite natural winemakers was nearby - 2NaturKinder. She reached out to them and he told us to come by for a wine tasting, which was so nice since they don't have public wine tours or anything. It was an amazing experience - the wine cellars beneath his house were incredible and he was super passionate about what he did.
How nice of him! Such a fun experience!

After exploring the city, we hopped in our car and drove down the Romantic Road (sort of...) to Rothenberg ob der Tauber, a medieval walled city that was actually the inspiration for the village in Pinocchio. This city is very popular with tourists, and for good reason. It's so charming!
45305297631_79d760a955_c.jpg

43490306000_9196aeea5e_c.jpg

30366209017_68c182f32d_c.jpg
Adorable!

I'm right there with you... I cannot deal with the heat well at all... and it takes me forever to cool down these days... I'm thinking January might be a good time of year for me and Disney.

Well it turns out in August I figured out WHY I wasn't tolerating the heat at all. Seems the blood pressure medication I was on made me sensitive to the sun.... yeah NOT GOOD.. I was over heating at 70 degrees. So we've changed my meds and while I still overheat, it's not nearly as bad as it was!

Doner kebabs own a piece of my soul! :love: I'm so glad you got to have some. It's where I take every newcomer when they first move here. "Once you try this, you'll never go to that Subway down the street. This will always be your go-to fast food dinner.":rotfl2:

And hooray for getting to try some spaghetti eis! It's an adorable little treat on a hot summer's day.

Jeez, it's probably terrible that I'm commenting on all the food you shared. I'm ruled by my stomach, I guess. :rotfl:

Sounds like Berlin was a nice time, though, despite some of the sights being closed and/or under construction. I have heard that the city is quite eclectic to look at. A lot of old stuff mixed in with the modern.

Oh man, doner kebab owns my soul entirely. I've thought about it daily. It needs to become a thing in America.

I'm so glad you told me about it! Seriously so much fun. I am ruled by my stomach too, as you can tell by all the food pictures shared.

It's so eclectic! I loved it a lot

YAY I was hoping you'd write up a mint TR for Germany

Just had to!! Had the most wonderful time. Someday I'll get back to the regular TR... and start my August TR.

Now that I see your pictures I recall seeing this in an episode of Sens8 on Netflix (Love that show). It has great shadowing for filming. I haed no idea it a was a memorial until I read it here.

Oh really? That's kind of a weird spot to film but it did have really interesting shadows.

This looks so yummy I always laugh when I see an ashtray anymore, with smoking banned in so many area's of the US.

It was so yummy and adorable! Germany still had cigarette vending machines, it was a trip!

This art work is super cool

I agree!

OMG what a great experiance I would have loved it. Did you guys buy any wine while ther?

We did! I actually brought a bottle back home with me!

Oh I loved visiting Rothenberg ob der Tauber. Funny story we at the restaurant we had dinner in we ordered a Pepperoni Pizza, wine and water. They brought us HOT water out of the tap. I understand they don't use much ice but hot water was a big surprise.

That's so funny! Water was definitely a struggle in Germany, and they love their sparkling water!

Then when the pizza came out you could guess their pepperoni is actually peppers. They were nice enough to make us a different pizza which was so nice of them since it was our mistake of just not knowing.

Oh no! I had pizza a couple times but I just stuck with cheese because I was sure I could not figure out what pepperoni was

How nice of him! Such a fun experience!

Truly! So grateful to have had that experience

Adorable!

I know! I was smitten

Well it turns out in August I figured out WHY I wasn't tolerating the heat at all. Seems the blood pressure medication I was on made me sensitive to the sun.... yeah NOT GOOD.. I was over heating at 70 degrees. So we've changed my meds and while I still overheat, it's not nearly as bad as it was!

Oh yikes! I'm glad you figured out the issue. I didn't even realize blood pressure medications could cause that issue!

Mini TR part 3: Castle Harburg

After Nordlingen we continued down the road to our destination which was a medieval castle in Harburg, Germany! I found this on hotels.com and knew I had to make it happen because how often do you get to stay in a castle?

No key cards here!
43490362940_b46fc8fdc9_c.jpg

The room we got was HUGE and only $90. The decor is a little dated, but it was very clean and comfortable and we were in a castle!
31431459108_de1dc3e603_c.jpg

44583018234_bdedb6a4e3_c.jpg

The next morning this was the view out our window.
30366288057_e7c23c9004_c.jpg

After a great complimentary breakfast we took a tour of the castle.
30366322647_b3821b864d_c.jpg

43490416810_29b5c7c4e2_c.jpg

45256655822_1a92ddbc9d_c.jpg

Views from the castle
45305449401_66f4f8c26c_c.jpg

One of the castle rooms with a beautifully painted ceiling.
44393608795_4c6f5e82c6_c.jpg

Carving in the ball room
44583180934_99de96be17_c.jpg

The views of the town from the castle were stunning.
31431568388_ed84a3e0bb_c.jpg

43490521580_dff106fa78_c.jpg

Then we had to have a photo shoot, obviously.
43490527500_6da0f33d1e_c.jpg

45305557831_051e1cb677_c.jpg

Another very Snow White well. I think it was the deepest in Germany at one point.
43490554930_92a8cafa92_c.jpg

And here's a departing shot of Schloss Harburg.
30366503737_d24d56a0f9_c.jpg

Up next: more castles!

We hope all is well with you as we truly enjoy your trip reports and you haven't added/completed this one in almost a month. The 'suspense factor' wanes over time!

Day 6 - June 26th - Solo at Epcot, part 2!

Ummm, hi there everyone, I've returned. Apparently a trip to Germany really threw me off my Disney game, but I am determined to get this TR finished (and there's another trip to report on in August...). And feel free to give me a gentle reminder to finish any TRs I had been reading!

So when I left off (a long, long, long time ago... and maybe in a galaxy far, far away) I had just eaten lunch by myself and Sunshine Seasons (RIP to my favorite fish tacos which still haven't shown back up on the menu). Past me must have imagined this is how my day would go because after I was finished eating it was time for a FP at Living with the Land, which was boasting a 65 minute wait at that time.
42386470664_1e1230e8c1_c.jpg

I know I'm not alone in taking a million pictures on this ride, even though I've already taken a million pictures of everything on the ride. It's just so pretty!

I did notice a quote in the queue that felt really relevant and resonant.
43054865472_fd688c8b8e_c.jpg

And maybe a new #WallofDisney ?
29232524508_512c611b90_c.jpg

And here's some plants. Can't you just smell it?
28277728277_d68bd4f4ce_c.jpg

28277726257_0823111553_c.jpg

42242804165_3529410913_c.jpg

42242802515_210233b754_c.jpg

42242800735_c01c5fe6b5_c.jpg

My kind of pepper!
42242797235_43768ae057_c.jpg

41336331190_1001c2982d_c.jpg

Hidden Mickey!
41336329900_bd586fd486_c.jpg

Ok I took a lot more pictures in the greenhouses (Why, Kara, why?) but I'll spare you all. Here's The Land, though!
42242783025_663b78afa9_c.jpg

After The Land I thought passing some time in The Seas would be fun.
43097100912_1988f1becb_c.jpg

But you know what's not fun? A 65 minute wait for The Seas. I know I could have gone in the back entrance, but my interest evaporated so instead I wandered in the direction of Test Track, my next FP. Character Spot had a 40 minute wait listed, and I thought "why not?! It's air-conditioned!". It was a good decision because the wait ended up being more like 10 minutes and I had some great interactions.

Mickey really loved my Minnie ears.
28251090387_36549b4eca_c.jpg

41309024890_854a558786_c.jpg

42215938945_a94a891c60_c.jpg

42215943055_9a6d00460c_c.jpg

43120454281_b00aaedbf3_c.jpg

The hug pictures are so cuuuute, really glad I did this meet.
42215950615_2c5f0583b3_c.jpg

Unfortunately PhotoPass was distracted talking to the last family, so they missed the hello hugs with Goofy. One of my biggest pet peeves! I think Goofy really liked my ears too.
43120454281_b00aaedbf3_c.jpg

\
28251102507_cc2e9e9e6e_c.jpg

Minnie was next, and of course she was enamored with my ears! Less thrilled with these pictures, mostly because of the lighting, but what can ya do?
28251109437_dc07428469_c.jpg

29248470338_5c69fff6a2_c.jpg

Including this because it's always good to laugh at yourself! PhotoPass really caught my good side!
29248484738_387f37346f_c.jpg

Up next: Test Track and some World Showcase!

Last edited:

Yay! I sort of fell off the Dis wagon myself. It’s nice coming back and catching up. I loved reading all about your Germany trip and seeing your gorgeous photos!

Looks like you had a great time at Epcot so far that day - Living with the Land has such a special place in my heart. I can almost smell it now looking at your photos! 65 minutes for Nemo?!:faint: Good call passing that one by for the chance to meet Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy! What is up with Minnie’s lighting? Usually the character meets have those lovely flattering lights!

Yay! I sort of fell off the Dis wagon myself. It’s nice coming back and catching up. I loved reading all about your Germany trip and seeing your gorgeous photos!

Looks like you had a great time at Epcot so far that day - Living with the Land has such a special place in my heart. I can almost smell it now looking at your photos! 65 minutes for Nemo?!:faint: Good call passing that one by for the chance to meet Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy! What is up with Minnie’s lighting? Usually the character meets have those lovely flattering lights!

I usually go in phases with the Dis! Have you updated your TR recently? I briefly looked for it. Thank you! I have some more pictures to share, but I figured I should get back in the Disney story-telling mode.

Living with the Land is the best. Wish I was on it right now. And I know!! Minnie's lighting was the worst, but Mickey and Goofy had great lighting. Could have been the flash on the camera not set up right?

I love those ears! So pretty!

Thank you! I must have got them in 2017, if I remember correctly, so everyone wanted to know where they were from.

That is insane! I have never seen that ride with a line, ever.

It was really hard to believe! And it's an Omnimover so it seems like it should never be that long!

Day 6 - June 26th - Detour at Boardwalk

After getting in some good hugs with Mickey and the gang I continued on to Test Track for my next FP at 1:15. I made a really pretty car that probably performed terribly.
41293559000_399147d674_c.jpg

I meant to act like I was losing my ears for the picture, but I forgot where the picture point was so I just look blinded, which is accurate.
43070383852_5c3c1c090a_c.jpg

Once done with Test Track it was time to abandon Future World. I wasn't sure if I wanted to start exploring World Showcase, or get ice cream at Boardwalk so I started at the Canada side of World Showcase. Most of the time I start in Mexico so that was a new and thrilling experience.
43104995681_58808de7f1_c.jpg

43097099792_6ca62a1c1a_c.jpg

Looks like rain! #spoileralert
43097096832_d89ef1427f_c.jpg

I tried to focus some more attention on pavilions I neglect, but there's only so much that can be done in Canada!
43097095622_077328a48b_c.jpg

43097093802_474075cffe_c.jpg

43097090262_fcef6aaf9a_c.jpg

World Showcase was pretty hot, so after Canada I decided to bail in favor of some ice cream. It looks like I opted to walk, rather than take a Friendship boat.
43096764502_9b5f2eccf2_c.jpg

43096763362_26f19fb4d2_c.jpg

And then I arrived at my glorious destination: Ample Hills Creamery!
43096760882_8d11c29e20_c.jpg

43096759962_dc63ea44f0_c.jpg

I thought this sundae wall was adorable.
43096759072_80d7547401_c.jpg

I got myself a scoop of the butter cake, and half baked (too lazy to look up their real names). It was delicious as always, but so rich and I sadly did not finish it.
28277375197_420dc6ce6e_c.jpg

When I had eaten all the ice cream I could I noticed that the sky was looking darker, so I caught a Friendship boat back to Epcot. I figured I'd have a better chance of finding cover there.
42386456504_4bc050a59a_c.jpg

41293568760_1745d52b8a_c.jpg

Goodbye, Boardwalk! Boats are maybe the best transportation method. So relaxing.
28235822377_b5dd7de313_c.jpg

28235816237_3f4aa828f7_c.jpg

In Epcot things didn't look quite as ominous, so I felt ok continuing (quickly) around the World. Next on the tour was France!
42200171795_d84be0ae19_c.jpg

43054866922_3ca5e2a428_c.jpg

Up next: maybe I get caught in the rain, maybe I don't!

Last edited:
So when I left off (a long, long, long time ago... and maybe in a galaxy far, far away) I had just eaten lunch by myself and Sunshine Seasons (RIP to my favorite fish tacos which still haven't shown back up on the menu). Past me must have imagined this is how my day would go because after I was finished eating it was time for a FP at Living with the Land, which was boasting a 65 minute wait at that time.
Yikes! 65 min for LWtL????

But you know what's not fun? A 65 minute wait for The Seas. I know I could have gone in the back entrance, but my interest evaporated so instead I wandered in the direction of Test Track, my next FP. Character Spot had a 40 minute wait listed, and I thought "why not?! It's air-conditioned!". It was a good decision because the wait ended up being more like 10 minutes and I had some great interactions.
Oh my goodness, Epcot was busy today!Your M&G pics are super cute!

I tried to focus some more attention on pavilions I neglect, but there's only so much that can be done in Canada!
As a Canadian, I am embarrassed by the Canadian pavilion....they could do so much more with it!

I got myself a scoop of the butter cake, and half baked (too lazy to look up their real names). It was delicious as always, but so rich and I sadly did not finish it.
The ice cream there is SO yummy but SO rich!

I usually go in phases with the Dis! Have you updated your TR recently? I briefly looked for it.
:rolleyes1 uhhh.... nope! I had a really horrible few months in the fall/early winter and just didn't feel up to it. I'm back around more now but I decided to start writing about my Christmas trip to Aulani https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...rn-to-aulani-and-first-visit-to-maui.3729422/
I started at the Canada side of World Showcase. Most of the time I start in Mexico so that was a new and thrilling experience.
Woo hoo! It's the little things :laughing:
And then I arrived at my glorious destination: Ample Hills Creamery!
Oh my nom. Yes, so good! And of course all your photos of the boardwalk and the friendship boats are just lovely. I forget sometimes how much I love the little things at Disney.

Up next: maybe I get caught in the rain, maybe I don't!
Maybe a parade of your own in the rain!!!:rotfl:

Loving the trip report.

Your photos are great, love the sunset photos - what kind of camera do you use?

I was curious about the $8 cookies from Polite Pig, I'd forgotten they'd sold Gideon Cookies - I'd been to the physical location - those cookies are great.

I think HS Starbucks is my favourite too, then MK but its always soo busy.

Yeah, the only way from Contemp to MK is via foot

The California Grill brunch looks great, I'm tempted to do it - I was thinking of doing Afternoon Tea again at the Grand Flo

I told Dad about the drama concerning the fish and chips at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop. For those not in the know, apparently the Fish Shop swapped out cod, a fish commonly used in authentic UK fish and chips, for tilapia A TERRIBLE BOTTOM FEEDER THAT NOBODY SHOULD EVER EAT EVER AND IT’S SO TERRIBLE HOW DARE DISNEY.

Sidenote; the fish shop didn't use cod, it was Pangasius, then they switched to tilapia.

The full service restaurant serves cod and continues to serve cod, as well as the pub.

Last edited:
Cute pics with Mickey & Minnie! It's always funny finding the unflattering PP pics in your account :rotfl:

Nice idea stopping over for some ice cream before heading back to WS!

*double post* ???

I don't think it double posted and now your response is lost! :sad:
Though I'm just glad you stuck around! I've been absent for so long! Currently working on catching up with your TR!

Yikes! 65 min for LWtL????

I know!!! Absolutely crazy!

Oh my goodness, Epcot was busy today!Your M&G pics are super cute!

It definitely was! It's hard to tell because Epcot absorbs crowds pretty well, but man were the lines long.

As a Canadian, I am embarrassed by the Canadian pavilion....they could do so much more with it!

It is pretty! But Canada is so vast, it could definitely have a lot more going on!

The ice cream there is SO yummy but SO rich!

The yummiest! Reminds me of Ben & Jerrys, I can't eat much of it in one sitting either.

:rolleyes1 uhhh.... nope! I had a really horrible few months in the fall/early winter and just didn't feel up to it. I'm back around more now but I decided to start writing about my Christmas trip to Aulani https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...rn-to-aulani-and-first-visit-to-maui.3729422/

Oh no! I hope things are starting to get better for you!

I just caught up on your Hawaii TR, can't wait to read more!

Woo hoo! It's the little things :laughing:

Gotta keep things fresh and exciting :rotfl2:

Oh my nom. Yes, so good! And of course all your photos of the boardwalk and the friendship boats are just lovely. I forget sometimes how much I love the little things at Disney.

Ample Hills is the best! Definitely gonna have to make some time for it on the Dismeet. And Disney has the loveliest landscaping. Like the walk from POFQ to POR is so peaceful and beautiful.

Maybe a parade of your own in the rain!!!:rotfl:

All for me!

Loving the trip report.

Your photos are great, love the sunset photos - what kind of camera do you use?

I was curious about the $8 cookies from Polite Pig, I'd forgotten they'd sold Gideon Cookies - I'd been to the physical location - those cookies are great.

I think HS Starbucks is my favourite too, then MK but its always soo busy.

Yeah, the only way from Contemp to MK is via foot

The California Grill brunch looks great, I'm tempted to do it - I was thinking of doing Afternoon Tea again at the Grand Flo

Thank you! I use my iPhone X and I think a Canon sx730.

I'd LOOOOVE to go to the physical location of Gideon Cookies... but who wants to really leave the Disney bubble? haha

I think I might like Animal Kingdom Starbucks second most... mostly because MK really is always so incredibly busy.

I learned that the hard way :rotfl:

My dad enjoyed the brunch so much he actually booked it for our next trip. Pretty much the best endorsement a restaurant could get! Afternoon Tea is fantastic as well.

Sidenote; the fish shop didn't use cod, it was Pangasius, then they switched to tilapia.

The full service restaurant serves cod and continues to serve cod, as well as the pub.

Oh! I didn't actually know that! I just read a thread about the change and people were very heated about it. I know my brother is disappointed with the change.

Cute pics with Mickey & Minnie! It's always funny finding the unflattering PP pics in your account :rotfl:

Nice idea stopping over for some ice cream before heading back to WS!

Thanks! It was a great meet! And PP really excels at getting horrendous pics (along with the good ones).

Always have to make time for Ample Hills :love:

Day 6 - June 26th - And the rain, rain, rain came down, down down!

So I was making a fast-paced stroll around World Showcase because it looked very much like rain. Here's a drive-by of Morocco.
42200161785_dfeb32f624_c.jpg

The Guardians Live show was going on, so I stopped for the last song. Not sure what general consensus is on this show, but I thought it was really fun and energetic.
41293559200_7ec2321d10_c.jpg

Immediately after the show ended it started raining. I stopped at the DVC booth thing in America and put on my poncho. It wasn't raining very hard at this point so I was thinking I could make it to China or maybe Mexico (ambitious). In retrospect I should have just stopped in Germany.
42200177675_18164bcea4_c.jpg

With very little warning it started absolutely downpouring! I did make it under an umbrella in the barren wasteland before African Outpost. AKA pretty much the WORST place to get stuck in World Showcase.
41293568220_ffa2f1f2b9_c.jpg

This is my drowned rat, unimpressed look.
42200162915_1552d35cca_c.jpg

The rain was coming down so hard that the umbrella really wasn't much use so I made a dash to the little soap hut, where the CMs were trying to protect the register from the rain.

Unfortunately for me, they had to close up their hut completely because the rain was now coming down sideways, so I had to sprint to the African Outpost store. The floor of the store was completely flooded, but they didn't close, thankfully. In addition to the rain there was also INSANE thunder and lightning.
42386456884_c8b0e433fa_c.jpg

41293566590_bfe5bd2de5_c.jpg

42200165085_512eb6a697_c.jpg

There were a few brave souls walking/running through the rain. But honestly I was more afraid of the lightning. Seemed best to be sheltered.
29232535338_02a0f5b356_c.jpg

It's a bit hard to see, but here's an idea of how flooded the store was. All those yellow leaves from the trees were blocking the drains.
43104992091_69756b683f_c.jpg

After what seemed like forever the rain began to slow. And more importantly the lightning let up! I covered myself the best I could and backtracked to Germany. If I was going to be caught in a storm I wanted libations!

I got myself a well-deserved beer, which really hit the spot.
42386467674_6e75515923_c.jpg

Pretty sure I downed the beer in about 2 seconds, and then I got a cheese plate and a Riesling - when in Germany! The cheeses were nothing spectacular, but they were also only $5 so it felt like a bargain.
28235816197_a8dfb33502_c.jpg

Cheers, Germany!
42200176205_24dcea1afa_c.jpg

Riesling in hand, I continued around the World Showcase, waving hello to my shelter from the storm.
42386473084_fdda2b21fc_c.jpg

I stopped in China briefly. It was looking so beautiful after the storm!
43054866842_9bde4b14a9_c.jpg

41293559790_582ff16a76_c.jpg

29232536398_d70540eafb_c.jpg

There was lots of Shanghai Disneyland Grand Opening and First Year anniversary merch in the pavilion. Not sure why anyone would want that unless they had actually been there for those events, though.
28235825517_3637446238_c.jpg

Up next: I meet some sisters and finish the World Showcase!

Last edited:
Though I'm just glad you stuck around!

I swear it showed 2 posts oh well, I did say Hey, I remember you, haha!

We liked the Guardians of Galaxy show, ours got rained out before it ended!

It is so surprising how the rain turns into sheets so quickly, yikes!

Love all the rain and post rain pictures!

Ugh I'm sorry you got stuck in such bad rain! But everything looked so pretty when it cleared up! You definitely earned that beer and wine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter