Rethinking Puerto Vallarta excursions again

darnheather

DIS Veteran
My kids D (17) and Izzy (13 at sail time) are so different. D is very active Izzy is very laid back. They both like cooking. I had my mind made up to do the Cookin' Vallarta tour on our own. Now though Izzy went horseback riding for the first time and really loved it so I've been looking at other excursions and just can't decide.

I've heard wonderful things about the Las Caletas beach day. But while D will have a blast I don't think there is a lot for Izzy since she's too old for the children's area. I've not seen a review of the Sea Safari tour but this looks like something they both might like. However, Izzy can not get on or off the horse without a lot of help.

Would love feedback if you've done one or more of these or something similar.

Hi Heather,

I hope you will get lots of responses and reviews on these excursions.

I seem to remember reading something here one time about someone saying they felt very sorry for the horses as they did not look as though they were well cared for. This would really bother me to see, and I know your girls, and you, are so kind hearted and it may bother you. Just wanted to mention this in case you may want to reaearch this aspect of it.

Hi Heather,

I hope you will get lots of responses and reviews on these excursions.

I seem to remember reading something here one time about someone saying they felt very sorry for the horses as they did not look as though they were well cared for. This would really bother me to see, and I know your girls, and you, are so kind hearted and it may bother you. Just wanted to mention this in case you may want to reaearch this aspect of it.

Yes that would be very true for us. And I would be disappointed with Disney for partnering with a group like that. Thank you for the insight. Looking at the reviews for the cooking class they are all so glowing. My biggest hangup about Las Caletas is the 1.5 travel time to and from.

Yes that would be very true for us. And I would be disappointed with Disney for partnering with a group like that. Thank you for the insight. Looking at the reviews for the cooking class they are all so glowing. My biggest hangup about Las Caletas is the 1.5 travel time to and from.

I hope others weigh in. i may have these horses confused with horses in the Catibbean. Either way, hoping others will report their experience so that you can make the best decision for you and the girls.

I have thought about you guys a lot recently, thinking back to our time together last year

My family loved las calitas. My oldest was 13 and did the zip line, step challenge, etc while my younger kids did the kids area (DH and I split up). I didn’t remember the ride being anywhere near that long. On the way back it’s really fun because they are running entertainment. It was pleasant both ways.
We independently booked horseback riding in mazatlan through Maria’s happy horses and really enjoyed that too

We just went to Las Caletas last week. I can't say that your ship will dock at the same place ours did, but it only took about 50 minutes each way. There were drinks included (alcoholic and non alcoholic) onboard and "entertainment" both ways :) There was a cooking demonstration available on the island and that was fun and had an interactive piece that my family enjoyed very much.

We did the Las Caletas excursion on a land vacation to Puerto Vallarta and LOVED it! My oldest was too old for the kids' area, but he still loved the zipline into the ocean and the ocean waterslide as well as the beaches. I have some photos: https://milesforfamily.com/2016/10/19/las-caletas-monkeys-hammocks-zip-lines-perfect-beach/

Your post makes it look truly amazing! How was the foot massage? I think that is something my younger daughter and I could do while my oldest is off in the teen section. Did you go on the nature walk with the orchids?

Your post makes it look truly amazing! How was the foot massage? I think that is something my younger daughter and I could do while my oldest is off in the teen section. Did you go on the nature walk with the orchids?
The foot massage was great! I don't remember doing the nature walk. Time flew by so quickly, even though we were there a long time.

We did the Yelapa and Majahuitas excursion when Disney first started cruising to Mexico. We typically hate organized cruise line excursions because of the crowds (and prices) so we almost always book private excursions. That being said, this is one of the best we have ever done and we still talk about it. The catamaran ride is fun. they had food and drinks and plenty of entertainment. You can just sit in the sun and relax or join in the dance party.

I don't care to snorkel but it was only 45 minutes which I think was long enough, considering the cooler temps in the water. It's not like the Caribbean but we saw some neat fish and the guides were in the water pointing out fish and other sea life. Even though the water was pretty cold, they do provide all equipment including wet suits so it wasn't bad at all.

The island was the best part. The only way you can access it is by boat. Our catamaran was probably the biggest one there. It was mostly small fishing boats "parked" in the water. We did a walking tour and saw some waterfalls, lots of beautiful scenery and learned about the history of the island. You finish up with some time at the beach. It seems like there were some small hotels and some bars and restaurants right on the beach and I don't recall having a problem getting chairs. My husband and aunt went parasailing right off the beach and it was significantly cheaper than any other parasailing excursions we have ever seen on a cruise. Of course, that was extra but they would tell you it was totally worth it. Especially since you got views of the island, vs. just the ocean and you aren't on a boat full of people and you have to wait for each person to take their turn.

Overall, it was just a really well thought out excursion and it really felt like there was something for everyone. It seems to me like most of the excursions are very overpriced but this is a pretty good value for the amount of time included and the level of service we received. It has been a few years so I hope it's still the same. If I ever went back to Puerto Vallarta, I would love to do it again.

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!