restraints on rides for children?

disneydebi

Mouseketeer
I have a question for you seasoned Disney people. Is there somewhere on this or another site, that will tell me what kind of restraint systems are used on various rides? I'm concerned about my DS going on some of the more "thrilling" rides like BTM, Splash Mt, Space Mt, ToT, etc. He's going to be big enough to meet the height requirements (he just hit 44"), but he's very light (only about 40lbs), and skinny. I'd like to have advance notice on what to expect on these rides as far as how he will be strapped in. I've heard that there is no restraint on Splash Mountain, which frightens me. I'm afraid he'll lift right out of his seat on the final drop if that is the case. He really wants to ride these (although he might chicken out), and I obviously don't want to do anything that would put him in danger. Do you know (any of you) what the various restraints are on these types of rides, or if there is a site that tells you?

Thanks.

HI! I don't know about a site with restraint lists. However, I can tell you Splash Mountain does not have any restraints at all. It is a log ride that is very leisurly. It has a few small drops prior to the big one in the briar patch. When I went on with my sister, who is and was also light, I held her around her waist very tightly as we went down the big drop.

BTMRR has a bar restraint that locks. If you are apprehensive, I would make sure when going on this ride with your son that you sit towards the middle of the row. This ride fits 2 adults comfortably.

Tower of Terror also has a safety strap which the Disney people tighten extremely tight. When I went on it was way too tight.

I can understand your concern. It is vaild since your son is so tiny. I would suggest calling Disney directly if your concerns still persist. They may have some suggestions. I would keep in mind that young kids ride these rides each day without incident.

Hope this helps.

Melika77

What about Space Mountain? Does it also have restraint straps? My DD7 is 46.5" and 44lbs. I worry that the bars may not actually hit her on some rides! What rides can DH and I squeeze her between us?

On rides like BTMRR, I don't think you will be able to fit three in a row. I know on Pirates of the caribbean and Splash Mountain there will be no problem sitting three in a row and squeezing together for child saftey. We sat my father, me and my sister on Splash Mountain nor problem. On TOT there also should be no problem with three in a row and with fast rides like TEST TRACk.

Here is a site with ride restrictions listed:
http://www.wdwig.com/rr.htm

I still reccomend talking to a WDW representitve about rides that are of big concern to you. They are much better informed about these situations!

I hope all this helps you!

Melika77

Our DS is about 52 inches and only 43lbs so I know where you are comming from and we allways tell the kids to hold on tight and we put our arms around them on those rides. Our DD who is crazy about roller coasters puts her arms in the air so we have to hold on tight! Have a great time! :bounce:

Hi, I work at Universal out here in CA- so I have a lot of experience to pass on about restraints!!! This advice actually applys to anyone, but especially if you have a small child. The restraints that are the most tricky with children are the straight lap bars. The lap bars come down across the whole seat- so they only go down as far as the largest person in the row. This can create a lot of space between the child and the lap bar- causing the child to slide around. Also another problem is height...the height issue is kind of tricky. The problem with all of the height markers is they take into account the Childs over all height. Some people have their height in the waist, some in their legs...A child may make the height requirment- but end up sitting kind of low, causing the lap bar to be at their chin or nose level. If there is too much of a gap or the child is low in the seat- then you should really be careful and think twice before riding. Also be careful of the overhead restraints for the same reason- too much of a gap= bumping around. I would think that rides like splash mt. should be fine. SM doesn't have a restraint, so no problems with bumping. I doubt that falling out of the log would even be an issue. The main peice of advice, is to make sure you really check out each ride vehicle carefully- make sure to look for gaps and height issues when your child is seated. If you get in the vehicle and don't feel safe, don't ride- ask the ride op to let you out. Don't let the ride op. rush you into the ride vehicle, take your time and make sure you feel comfortable. Also, be sure to ask the CM at the front entrace about the ride and safety restraints. Ask about the restrictions and ask why the restrictions are for the particular ride. Just make sure you are informed as possible before riding. As and Adult and a theme park employee, I always make sure I am 100% comfortable with the ride before getting on. If I feel unsure or see something that makes me feel unsafe, I do not ride. Most rides are perfectly safe, just make sure you take the time to check everything ok. I hope I have been helpful. If I can answer any questions, feel free to e-mail me. Have a great trip!!! - Karen

Hi, I'm clutter, and I'm the restraint!!

Here's what I remember:

Space Mountain - We don't do it because it's only one seat wide.

BTMRR - I keep my arm around her, and we do move around a bit. We have done 3 across, with two children.

Splash - no problem, but I do hold her for the big drop.

I haven't lost her yet!

while chatting with a couple on the monorail they witnessed a young boy escape from the restraint on Alien Encounter and bolt right out of the ride. They could not figure out how he could slip out. I guess Fear is a good motivator.

KHansen454 gave some really good advice; if in doubt, ask the CM.
My youngest DD is 5 feet tall, very thin and has cerebral palsy which, in her case means she gets very stiff (her back straightens and her legs extend out), so she tends to stand up when she is excited. She is a difficult challenge for restraints of any type. We don't have a problem with keeping her in Splash Mountain. Even though there are no restraints, the seating is tight and the log you are in is sort of built up around you. We don't have a lot of problem keeping her seted on any ride with my DH and I each sitting on one side of her. There are rides we know she would love, like BTMRR, but we also know the restraints (and we) are not likely to be able to hold her.
I would not do Space Mountain with a small child or someone who might be afraid. The car holds 3 people, but each person is seated in their own section, one behind the other and can't see or touch the other people. We went on with my oldest DD when she was 6. She was quite scared and kept saying she wanted to get off. I could hear her and talk to her, but couldn't see if she was trying to get the restraint off. It was the longesst, scariest ride in my life.

We went to Disney this past March and my son who is 3yo weighs 40 lbs and was tall enough to ride BTRRM but not Space Mountain was with us. On the rides that had a lap bar we had to hold on to him tight. Even on the Test Track where you sit 3 to a row my DH felt that he needed to hold him but it wasnt necessary. Overall the best thing to do try it and if you feel unsure don't ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter