Restaurants

chezp

Earning My Ears
I've selected a few potential restaurants to try out at DLP when we go in September, thanks to a Brit's Guide! Has anyone eaten at any of the following:

California Grill
Yacht Club / Cape Cod
Hunter's Grill
Blue Lagoon
Auberge de Cendrillon

If you've eaten at any of these, what did you think of them and would you recommend them? Can anyone tell me whether we're likely to be able to book these when we get there or would we have to book beforehand - and if so, how do we do it?

Many thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

We ate at Auberge D C last Wednesday & Friday. It was very good. We booked at the desk in the hotel on the day we ate.

Set menu adults is Eur28 kids Eur10.

I would recommend asking for a table in the main hall as there is a side room which isn't quite the same atmosphere.

Our bill for 2x adults 2x kids set menus plus a couple of drinks was about Eur95.

I have a trip report to post later or if you want more details let me know.

regards

Alec

The Blue Lagoon is my favourite becuase of its wonderful setting (its part of the Pirates attraction). Only eaten at the California Grill once, and really enjoyed the meal. It's a very well regarded restaurant, with prices to match! I've never been too impressed by the Auberge as I found the atmosphere a bit flat - I think Walt's is a better option. I've not eaten at Cape Cod, but Hunters' Grillis impressive if only for the skewers of meat that are the 'signature dish' there.

We normally book reservations when we arrive at the resort - the concierge desk at your hotel, City Hall or the individual restaurants will all be able to take your booking.

Regards

Rob

The Blue Lagoon is an awesome restaurant - the setting and the menu are 2nd to none at DLRP.

I can recommend the Red Snapper and Emperor Fish on Bamboo - if it's still on the menu!

I have not eaten in any of those restuarants but in regards to the pre-booking u can usually get away with just bkg when u arrive but if u are going peak season or with a lot of people then i suggest prebooking this can be done by calling 00331 6045 6045.

I have had dinner at Blue Lagoon and Walt's!
They are both a great experience. But I think that the atmosphere at B-L is something out of this world! :)
It's amazing! :bounce:

I'll recommend Buckaneers Plate! (Sp?)
If that's still on the menu! :teeth:

When we went at the end of May, we ate at the following:

Blue Lagoon. Fine if you like eating in near darkness and with the whiff of chlorine in the air, due to the water which is part of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

Hunters Grill. Lovely meal, but the menu is so short that unless you are a total carnivore you eat there only once.

Yacht club / Cape Cod - at the NBC, our hotel. These were fine.

At all the restaurants we were very well looked after, but they are hideously expensive. Evening meals, with 3 children and 2 adults eating mc and puds only, with drinks and bottle of ordinary wine came to about 100 euros. Please please book your meals well in advance - the hotel concierges and the booking point at City Hall are very helpful.

Syl - I have to ask... Did you use any Meal Cupons? :confused:

You have 4 options to choose from, and they are valid in both theme parks, all Disney Hotels and in Disney Village (except from: Mc Donald's, Rainforest Café, Planet Hollywood & King Ludvig's) :)

The 4 alternatives are:
  1. Menu Découverte - €20
  2. Menu Du Chef - €25
  3. Menu Gourmet - €28
  4. Childrens Menu - €10
    [/list=1]

They all include 1 starter, 1 main course and 1 desert. And for the childrens menu one soft drink (25cl) is also included in the price! :earsboy:

*Prices were taken from the Summer -03 broshure, valid from April 4th - November 1st.

If you use the convinience of pre-ordering meal cupons for each meal you'll have full control of that part of the vacation budget! :)

I have never found the restaurants expensive. 100 Euros is a price I'd happily pay for just the two of us let alone a family of 5! Anyone going to Disney expecting a bargain break is maybe being a tad naive.

Meal coupons sound a wonderful idea - wish I'd investigated those before our trip - will look into it for next time.
I am as naive as the next person, but being willing to suspend my disbelief does not extend to being fleeced. The service and settings are marvellous, so I suppose we were really paying for those! The most important thing was that the children had a fantastic time - so us parents will just have to cough up and shut up, and start saving like mad for the next visit !

Syl - I really recommend it! :)

I understand that planning for a whole family can be though. :)
So no one's to blame you for not discovering the Meal Cupons. ;)

The most inportant thing with any Disney Vacation is for the whole family to have fun - Together! :earsboy:

Hi alyssa80,

You request them at the time of booking and collect them with your park tickets etc. on check in.

They are only valid during the stay for which you booked them , the expire the day you check out and cannot be saved for future trips , Having said that we found them quite useful in pre budgeting our last trip when we had a menu gourmet voucher to use every day enabling us to try Walts , Plaza Gardens, Auberge De cendrillon ( twice) and Inventions ( brochure says not valid here CM's say they are ).

If you don't use the set menu option the value of the vouchers is simply deducted from the total bill and you pay the difference.

A main course, sweet and drink is included for kids and a starter main and sweet for adults - drinks are extra.

hope this helps

Alec

Alec - Wow, I had no idea that they were that flexible... :eek:
I thought that you had to stick with the pre-paid menu. :rolleyes:

That's why I have never used the cupons on any of my visits, because I never know how hungry I'll get or what I want to eat until I am at the resturant and looking at the menu.... :crazy: :teeth: :rolleyes: ;) :D

I have a question about the meal coupons.

For someone who tends to eat light, drink water, and not eat desserts, is it likely that the coupons will be more expensive than the actual price of the meal? I'm figuring this must be the case because I'm wondering how else could they make money from them?

TIA

Hi ,

the prices of the meal coupons ( see above) match various set menus in restaurants around the park.

for example the menu gourmet Eur28 enable you to have 3 courses at Walt's or Aubereg De Cendrillon. if you are a light eater and or pass on desert then yes you will not get your full value from the coupon. I don't think Disney look to make money on uneaten food it is more having your money in the bank when you book coupons and guaranteeing you eat on site.

We used our coupons to have lunch every day in the park- the food was lovely and it was a great way to relax.

Alec

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!