Restaurants that have very loud music, son with ASD

Gussie Granger 1969

Mouseketeer
I couldn’t decide which board to put this under so please change if you need to.

My son has ASD and is very sensitive to loud music. He will not wear ear plugs or headphones, he doesn’t like anything touching his ears. Although I do bring ear plugs just in case he relents.

We’re planning our next trip and booking ADRs and I couldn’t remember if there was a restaurant that was really loud. Hopefully someone has a list of ones to avoid.

I agree with PP about T-Rex being noisy. It is the one restaurant we absolutely can’t do. Oddly, DD is ok at Rain Forest Cafe.

Enjoy your vacation!

definitely the dinosaur place in Disney Springs. but it's noise, not necessarily music per se. and every TS restaurant is noisy just by sheer volume of people in a confined space. the only 'quiet' space is something like Victoria and Alberts.

This one came to mind for me too! I don't have any diagnosis of ASD, but I couldn't even finish my meal there I was so stressed out due to the noise. I love the concept of the meteor strike though!
Another that I find stressful is Via Napoli. I love the food but it feels very loud and frenetic in there (not due to music, just a LOT of tables seated close to each other and the high ceilings..last time was the last time with people and servers bumping into our table and chairs). We were lucky to be seated in a quiet corner on the side to the left of the entrance once though. It was much nicer than out in gen pop. If you must do Via, ask if you can sit there.

Another vote here for trex, loudest place I've ever been to, dinosaurs roaring and meteor showers with sound effects, etc. Rain forest isn't as bad but you still have animal noises and periodic thunderstorm noises.

SCI-FI at Hollywood Studios.
Pretty much all of the character meals besides Garden Grill in Epcot. That wasn't bad at all if you want to try a character meal that's quieter. the floor moves ever so slightly so there is a new scene to look at while you dine.

The deluxe dining restaurants are probably a good choice. The fancier, the quieter

Most at DS...Boathouse, Bongos, Trex, Rainforest, Raglan Road....noisy.

Ohana is noisy but many resort dining venues are more mellow. Whispering canyon probably too much as well.

50s Prime Time is a bit loud. Sci Fi has a lot going on and is dark ish but cartoon clips and being in a car might be neat.

Be Our Guest is kinda loud.

Yak and Yeti is very busy at prime dinner time and might be overwhelming...at least the waiting area.

Also, I'm sure you are a pro but have to throw it in, maybe you can get noise cancelling headphones for him.

Good idea, but, the OP says that he will not wear them.

[QUOTE="Gussie Granger 1969, post: 59661552, member: 618574"

My son has ASD and is very sensitive to loud music. He will not wear ear plugs or headphones, he doesn’t like anything touching his ears. Although I do bring ear plugs just in case he relents.

[/QUOTE]

Good idea, but, the OP says that he will not wear them.

[QUOTE="Gussie Granger 1969, post: 59661552, member: 618574"

[/QUOTE]
Guess I should read the whole post next time!

I thought Garden Grill was a madhouse when we went. Very chaotic and loud. 1900 Park Fare is kinda calm. Olivias. Sanaa. Maya Grill. Trattoria and Cape May and Big River. The Wave. Probably Turf Club and Ale and Compass. Cali grill and Artist Point and Jiko. Hollywood Brown Derby and Tiffins. ALL kinda quiet.
Biergarten is noisy. Spice Road is quiet. Chefs De France isnt bad. San Angel is nice but dark. Tepan Edo is noisy.

Last edited:
All characters dining will be loud. Sci-fi
was great for my ASD son with sensory issues, he was confortable I feel Sci-fi is a quiet place only the movies can be heard not people chatter, I prepare my son beforehand and always offer him the earplugs (he doesn’t like them either) but what had work for me is to explain him the benefits of wearing them, we have done Ohana breakfast, fireworks, Festival of the Lion king, etc.

We were at GG this morning and it was loud going by the rainforest scene. Sanaa last night, we were seated behind the main staircase and that was also loud. We were at Tiffins on Friday for an early dinner and it was quiet but got a bit louder by the time we left.

I forgot to mention we have done T-Rex 3 times, all at different ages and he has no problem ( no plugs needed) I guess is better at early lunch hours than dinner on a weekend when it’s definitely more crowded

My ASD, noise sensitive son was fine at Trex, but HATED Via Napoli. He wore headphones but still was bothered by the noise level in there.

Hoop Dee Doo Revue is probably (overall) the loudest on property - there are cowbells and loud, sharp noises and of course LOTS of loud, live singing.

Trails End next door can get kind of rowdy from time to time, especially if Kevin is working! (he's our favorite waiter!)

Sci-Fi can be perceived by a lot of people almost like television noise, but I can see where waiting for it might be uncomfortable; it can get crowded and noisy inside the doors.

Whispering Canyon used to be pretty rowdy as well, but I hear they have put the brakes on some of the shenanigans over there.

At Disney Springs, HOB (House of Blues) has live music in the evenings and loud-ish ambient music during the day. The patio is not too bad during the day, but typically folks eating out there have picked up their food at The Smokehouse.

For quieter experiences, I would say Olivia's at Old Key West is one of the most peaceful and relaxing places at WDW for us. We also love the The Boathouse and for our family, Garden Grill is a great character experience. Since we know where the loudest parts are (and you come up on them fairly slowly, so it's not loud, sudden sounds) we have no problems with it - but we tend to schedule there on "off" times (like lunch at 2:30 pm) so it's typically not too crowded.

I couldn’t decide which board to put this under so please change if you need to.

We’re planning our next trip and booking ADRs and I couldn’t remember if there was a restaurant that was really loud. Hopefully someone has a list of ones to avoid.

I wouldn’t recommend anywhere like Whispering Canyon or 50’s because of the role playing the servers do and sometimes during the real busy times, it can get really loud to where you can’t even hear yourself think.

Also, Whispering Canyon hands you a little disc where you can say if you want to participate or not.

Last edited:
Restaurant in Germany can be loud (especially when the band is playing)

Be Our Guest carries a lot of noise in the main dining room. I have a hard time with it. Hoop Dee Doo Revue I spent a lot of the show with my hands over my ears due to the noise. Chef Mickeys is loud because of the monorail and it has a lot of ambient noise due to the shape of the building. Raglan Road is very loud any time anything is happening on the stage. The outdoor seating at Spice Road Table can be loud depending on what is going on in the world showcase. Teppan Edo is teppanyaki so it can be loud depending on what tricks they’re doing.

A lot depends on the time of day you go too outside of the most popular ADRs (basically anything with characters). Many of the ADRs that can become nosiey are tolerable or quiet during off hours. Signatures tend to always be quiet (except during fireworks at California Grill).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter