Restaurant advice please

garnwr32229

Mouseketeer
So I have months before I have to settle on meals and dining reservations. We got the DDP. There is a total of 7 in our party (4 adults and 3 kids ages girl9, boy9, boy3) and possibly 2 more adults (my in laws might join us one day)
So far I’m looking at
1900 park fare
Crystal palace
Garden Grill
Chef Mickey
Teppan Edo
Tusker house
Sci-fi dine in
Be our guest (breakfast)
Hollywood and vine

Now we will only be there for 6 nights so I have to narrow it down to 6 but I want it to be a good 6. And I’m hoping to get 6 fun places for the kids. We don’t go to Disney often and have no plans on returning anytime soon so trying to make this trip perfect. Any advice is appreciated. We are staying at pop and have hoppers if that makes a difference...

When we’ve taken our kids, we always let them chose one meal.

You could always pay out of pocket at sci-fi since it would be one of the cheaper options.

Last edited:
When we’ve taken our kids, we always let them chose one meal.

You could always pay out of pocket at sci-fi since it would be one of the cheaper options.
I’ve been asking them what they want. My DD (will be 9 when we go) said she wants a princess meal but looking at the menu I’m not sure what she will eat and I’m trying to avoid 2 credit meals.
The hibachi place is for my older son and sci fi both boys love cars.

Last edited:
I’ve been asking them what they want. My DD (will be 9 when we go) said she wants a princess meal but looking at the menu I’m not sure what she will eat and I’m trying to avoid 2 credit meals.
Were you thinking breakfast or dinner for 1900 park fare? Dinner is Cinderella, Prince Charming, the stepsisters and stepmother. Supposedly the step sisters are hilarious with their bickering. Maybe your daughter (and sons!) would like this. I know it’s just 1 princess, but it may be a good compromise. It’s a buffet but many say it’s one of the better buffets.

One other thing- Hollywood & Vine at lunch and dinner is Minnie’s Seasonal Dine and usually has Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, and one or two others like Daisy and/or Donald. At breakfast it’s Disney jr characters. So if you were thinking of lunch or dinner, Chef Mickey could potentially be redundant characters (although I think Pluto is only at CM).

If you want princesses do Akershus for breakfast. It's way better than the lunch/dinner menu. From the list you have my favs are 1900 park fare, garden grill, tusker house, BOG and hollywood and vine.

AKershus for breakfast is really a good use of a TS credit and the Princess interaction is better, IMO than CRT. Try to book a PPO meal and youwill enjoy a lovely quiet walk through the World Showcase.

If you want princesses do Akershus for breakfast. It's way better than the lunch/dinner menu. From the list you have my favs are 1900 park fare, garden grill, tusker house, BOG and hollywood and vine.

I agree that Akershus should be added, and breakfasts ratehr than dinner.

OP- you have a few "repeat" characters in your meals, so I would narrow them down by removing some of those.

I know it is heresy but I do not like Tusker House. It is chaotic, IMO. I prefer Chef Mickey dinner to kick off a Disney vacation. I know this one does nto get a lot. Of love, but Holy DIsney!!!! A spin on the monorail and dinner in teh CR with those iconic characters is pretty special.

I would keep Crystal Palace and book it for dinner. The break before evening entertainment is nice. The restaurant is light and airy, and it takes care of meeting Pooh and his friends.

1900 PF is also a great use of a credit, with character interacion and decent buffet food. I prefer evenings to meet the Stepsisters. The Tremaine family is a hoot! You also can work in a visit to the Grand Floridian, which is lovely. Breakfast is nice as well, with the Mad Hatter and Alice featured. I think this one is all about the characters you prefer to add to your roster.

Garden Grill for any meal is awesome! Who does not love Chip and Dale?????

In DHS H&V has two different settings, with Playhouse Disney for breakfast and dinner, and Seasonal Dine in the evening. Personally if you need to get rid of a meal, I would consider this one if you are keeping TH. It may be redundant character wise if you book dinner. I would keep Sci FI and pay OOP if you keep them all.

I wonder if you are going to be sick of buffet meals by the end of the trip. When we have youngsters with us I book a lot of character meals, and we will have buffet because it is all about the character interaction for them. But it does get old.

Were you thinking breakfast or dinner for 1900 park fare? Dinner is Cinderella, Prince Charming, the stepsisters and stepmother. Supposedly the step sisters are hilarious with their bickering. Maybe your daughter (and sons!) would like this. I know it’s just 1 princess, but it may be a good compromise. It’s a buffet but many say it’s one of the better buffets.
I was looking at dinner for 1900 for that reason. But then she pulls the I want to see Snow White. I told her we can see her still, we have time I’m sure she will change her mind

Love Crystal Palace.
Have done 1900PF 4 times and although the characters are brilliant and very funny we have never had a good meal there.
Akershus is so much better imho
Be our guest for breakfast or lunch is a great venue for a prebookable cs meal.
I am sure your boys would enjoy sci-fi and have you considered birrgarten which is lots of fun.
Also I think characters at Ohanas breakfast are some of the most fun.
Whatever you choose I am sure your kids will love it.

AKershus for breakfast is really a good use of a TS credit and the Princess interaction is better, IMO than CRT. Try to book a PPO meal and youwill enjoy a lovely quiet walk through the World Showcase

OP- you have a few "repeat" characters in your meals, so I would narrow them down by removing some of those.

I know it is heresy but I do not like Tusker House. It is chaotic, IMO. I prefer Chef Mickey dinner to kick off a Disney vacation. I know this one does nto get a lot. Of love, but Holy DIsney!!!! A spin on the monorail and dinner in teh CR with those iconic characters is pretty special.

I would keep Crystal Palace and book it for dinner. The break before evening entertainment is nice. The restaurant is light and airy, and it takes care of meeting Pooh and his friends.

1900 PF is also a great use of a credit, with character interacion and decent buffet food. I prefer evenings to meet the Stepsisters. The Tremaine family is a hoot! You also can work in a visit to the Grand Floridian, which is lovely. Breakfast is nice as well, with the Mad Hatter and Alice featured. I think this one is all about the characters you prefer to add to your roster.

In DHS H&V has two different settings, with Playhouse Disney for breakfast and dinner, and Seasonal Dine in the evening. Personally if you need to get rid of a meal, I would consider this one if you are keeping TH. It may be redundant character wise if you book dinner. I would keep Sci FI and pay OOP if you keep them all.

I wonder if you are going to be sick of buffet meals by the end of the trip. When we have youngsters with us I book a lot of character meals, and we will have buffet because it is all about the character interaction for them. But it does get old.

I was looking at akershus for breakfast but was worried my mom might not like much(she doesn’t eat eggs).
My DH brought up tusker house but I’m not sure of the menu and I was tossing around H&V for the fastasmic package

Love Crystal Palace.
Have done 1900PF 4 times and although the characters are brilliant and very funny we have never had a good meal there.
Akershus is so much better imho
Be our guest for breakfast or lunch is a great venue for a prebookable cs meal.
I am sure your boys would enjoy sci-fi and have you considered birrgarten which is lots of fun.
Also I think characters at Ohanas breakfast are some of the most fun.
Whatever you choose I am sure your kids will love it.

Thanks I’ll look into that one. Where is it at?

AKershus for breakfast is really a good use of a TS credit and the Princess interaction is better, IMO than CRT. Try to book a PPO meal and youwill enjoy a lovely quiet walk through the World Showcase.

My kids eat so much better at buffets for some reason. I think it’s bc they can pick and choose whatever they want instead of the basic your stuck with what you ordered. They will choose to eat off a salad bar over ordering a hotdog just bc they get to go up and pick their own food(with adult help of course). The only exception is steak, they love steak.

I was looking at akershus for breakfast but was worried my mom might not like much(she doesn’t eat eggs).
My DH brought up tusker house but I’m not sure of the menu and I was tossing around H&V for the fastasmic package

There is so much more than eggs at Akershus. It is one of the best character meals IMO. There are a flock of Princesses as well, so your DD may see CInderella. I htink SNow was there when we were there 2 years ago.

''Ohaha is in the Polynesian resort and the Lilo breakfast is pretty good. In terms of character interaction it is one of my favorites, and if you pay OOP is very reasonable.

I am not sure of your arrival dates, but ours is mid December to the 22nd. I booked H&V for dinner so that we could meet Mickey and Minnie in their holiday finery. I peeked int eh window one year and they all were so darn cute! I understand the food is seasonal as well, so whatever season you are there the food should have some changes to apply.

I knwo TH is a favorite of so many, however I find that restaurant big and chaotic. The food was good for breakfast though. My DD and her family were there for dinner and did nto care for it, however they don't like Boma either.

So silly question how many character experiences are you going to do? My kidS at that age would only tolerate one or 2.

Akershus is a great place - if they won't eat breakfast - what about lunch or dinner. If you are on the Dining plan - I would use TS credits for dinner or lunch - not breakfast.

1900 Park Fare is a fun place for dinner. The step mother and step sister are so funny.

As other posters said - I wouldn't do Chef Mickeys and Hollywood and Vine - if H&V and dinner - the characters are the same.

Enjoy the planning.

So silly question how many character experiences are you going to do? My kidS at that age would only tolerate one or 2.
I have no idea how many maybe at least 3? Your kids at 9yrs or 3yrs wouldn’t tolerate that many? Just wondering

I have no idea how many maybe at least 3? Your kids at 9yrs or 3yrs wouldn’t tolerate that many? Just wondering

It really depends on the kids. Some get very distracted or overwhelmed during a character meal, so if parents use mealtime as a way to relax these are not going to be successful.

My girls love the character meals, and on the trip that was one huge thunderstorm I was glad I booked just about every one. They met their characters and I used a boatload of credits! LOL! I was on the DxDDP so we had plenty, and did not lose money.

We used to do a character meal every day in a 1 or 2 week trip when our children were younger.
They ate and saw characters and it meant we had less time in lines in the parks waiting for characters.

We used to do a character meal every day in a 1 or 2 week trip when our children were younger.
They ate and saw characters and it meant we had less time in lines in the parks waiting for characters.

This is what I was thinking, get meeting characters and eating all in one. My one twin (DS9) will avoid any and all lines if he can. But is slowly getting better all depends on how much he wants to do the activity. So I figured character meals might help decrease the amount of character lines we stand in

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter