Restart Theory

If a cruise line can't hack in in Europe 6 months from now - where the cruises are already operating - they can't hack it anywhere. Outside of Alaska, there is little money in running cruises in North America in the summer.

The biggest unknown is the vaccine availability and the effect on cases by next summer. The cruise lines right now have no idea about next spring. What's critical though is they diversify the geographies in which to run the ships. All in US or all in Europe is just asking for more pain.

I can definitely see them taking Nassau off the itineraries and just doing CC and sea days, at least at first. I'm personally fine with that.
Not likely. This doesn't do the Bahamas any good and they control CC and the rest of the private cruise islands. They need the extra revenue and just going to CC will not provide that.

Not likely. This doesn't do the Bahamas any good and they control CC and the rest of the private cruise islands. They need the extra revenue and just going to CC will not provide that.

I'm sure they want and need the revenue very badly, but I think we are talking about the first few cruises here, not anything long-term. Seems like a good way to ease back into doing things safely, at least in theory. Personally, I would not want to get off at Nassau at this point, though I think things have been improving. I'm skeptical that will hold if a bunch of cruise passengers disembark at regular intervals. At least on CC, it is mostly interacting with just the people who were on the ship with you, so the risk to you and others is largely the same (of course, there are CC staff, but compared to the risk of spread in Nassau as a whole, that seems small and they could run with only a few non-ship people there if they aren't doing excursions from CC like the parasailing, etc.). No idea what they will actually do, of course. I'm skeptical they will actually get cruising started without widespread vaccination, anyway, which is a ways away.

So, we are currently not planning on cruising this coming year(2021) since we just had a baby in October. We were going to wait until 2022 to take her on her first disney cruise. The Wonder is the only ship we have left to complete the grand slam and living on the east coast we just never pick it because it isn't worth it to us to pay to fly across country before the cruise and the Alaska itineraries are just so expensive. Our plans will change if they sail the Wonder out of Florida in 2021. We'd strongly consider something to complete the grand slam just because we can easily get to the ship. If everything looks like it's safe of course

I'm sure they want and need the revenue very badly, but I think we are talking about the first few cruises here, not anything long-term. Seems like a good way to ease back into doing things safely, at least in theory. Personally, I would not want to get off at Nassau at this point, though I think things have been improving. I'm skeptical that will hold if a bunch of cruise passengers disembark at regular intervals. At least on CC, it is mostly interacting with just the people who were on the ship with you, so the risk to you and others is largely the same (of course, there are CC staff, but compared to the risk of spread in Nassau as a whole, that seems small and they could run with only a few non-ship people there if they aren't doing excursions from CC like the parasailing, etc.). No idea what they will actually do, of course. I'm skeptical they will actually get cruising started without widespread vaccination, anyway, which is a ways away.

This is what Disney would want to do, but I don't think that it is their decision to make. The Bahamian Government is't going to open up the private islands unless there is a way for them to get some form of revenue. I do think if there is a loophole to only do stopes at CC (other than the occasional one off cruises) , Disney would take it. But we will find out in time. I hope I am wrong, if they did last minuet test cruises to CC, my wife and I would be on one in a flash.

Canadians won't be in Florida in February. The border won't reopen with the US for many more months and our quarantine act will still be in place. We'll be lucky if we can get to Florida by June.
Yes - and this is why I think there's ZERO chance my Alaska cruise is happening this summer. Just waiting for them to release summer 2022 to move it AGAIN.

This is what Disney would want to do, but I don't think that it is their decision to make. The Bahamian Government is't going to open up the private islands unless there is a way for them to get some form of revenue. I do think if there is a loophole to only do stopes at CC (other than the occasional one off cruises) , Disney would take it. But we will find out in time. I hope I am wrong, if they did last minuet test cruises to CC, my wife and I would be on one in a flash.
I would be for the first few cruises/weeks of cruising the Bahamian gov't would OK it. They are really not on board for mega ships pulling into port in Nassau and causing huge amounts of spread. I think it makes sense to let the ships go out with the smallest amount of risk and see if any problems crop up.

I actually think it more likely the Wonder will be their quarantine facility.
Are they actually going to have a designated quarantine ship or hotel? Is that part of their plan? (I'm truly curious--not skeptical or anything. It just sounds...creepy to me somehow)

Are they actually going to have a designated quarantine ship or hotel? Is that part of their plan? (I'm truly curious--not skeptical or anything. It just sounds...creepy to me somehow)
That is kind of a creepy specter. Is there any more news on this?

Per the CDC they have to have a contracted quarantine facility near port for passengers and crew. They cannot NOT have one.

Per the CDC they have to have a contracted quarantine facility near port for passengers and crew. They cannot NOT have one.
I assume that means near every embarkation and debarkation port? In which case I think it is likely that they will start with only cruises out of port Canaveral for quite some time (that is if they start before widespread vaccination)

I assume that means near every embarkation and debarkation port? In which case I think it is likely that they will start with only cruises out of port Canaveral for quite some time (that is if they start before widespread vaccination)
I think that's a good bet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter