• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rest. recommendations for restless 3yo

Beena

Earning My Ears
My 3 year old DS is a very energetic child and usually does not last long at sit-down restaurants. He's quiet for as long as it takes him to eat!!

Any ideas where we can go for dinner? We're already doing one character meal. We'll be taking most meals at counter service restaurants so that we can just eat and run. But we'll be in Orlando over Mother's Day and I'd like to sit and relax for a meal. Doesn't have to be anywhere "fancy".

TIA!!

If you'll have a car I would suggest Logan's Steakhouse. It's a great family restaurant ( I think it's on 192) and very informal. They have peanuts on the table and you can throw the shells on the floor. My kids love going there and insist on returning. Another suggestion is Rainforest Cafe. So much to see and hear they shouldn't get restless. One word of caution - if your child doesn't like thunder - skip it. Every half hour there is a thunder storm with lightening and sound fx.

In the parks - I think you are right to stick to counter service. Keep in mind that Dis portions are usually big so you might be able to share and save some money.

Good luck & happy eating!

I agree Rainforest Cafe is a great place.Whispering Caynon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge is another fun restaurant.Lots of interaction with the wait staff.Or maybe the Coral Sea at EPCOT.You'd have a HUGE fish tank to look at all during your meal.Prime Time Cafe or SciFi Diner at MGM are a couple great choices for kids too.

Ohanas and Boma as well. I've been to neither, but both are said to be good for kids - buffet style, so you can get your food fast and he can move around a little.

If you want to try sit down (I don't find buffets relaxing), most Disney restaurants are prepared for kids. But here are some hints. You want to avoid the fanciest places (V&A, California Grill, Flying Fish, Artist's Point, etc. I think all the theme park restaurants are fine, with the possible exception of the expensive one in France) with a "can't sit still" three year old, but their are a ton of "mid scale" sit down restaurants that will be fine for the vast majority of three year olds.

Look at the menu ahead of time so you are ready to order when you are seated. Let your hostess know when you are seated, "he doesn't sit well and we are ready to order, can you send our waitperson right over?" Let the waitperson know the same thing. Your food will usually be at your table really fast.

Skip appetizers, skip dessert - or if you need courses, order them all at once so they can be brought out quickly. Entree and out, if possible. You can stop for dessert at plenty counter service places later (Beavertails, Dole Whips, Mickey Bars, the Pastry shop in France, etc). It isn't the most relaxing, leisurely way to eat a meal, but its better than a week of chicken fingers.

Eat early - 4:30 or 5:00. You'll get seated faster and served faster.

Let your mover walk a little before dinner - don't keep him in the stroller all day. Sounds obvious, but its easy to leave them in the stroller and then wonder why they have so much energy at dinner. You may discover he sits a lot better at Disney than he does at home or if you go out at home - he may be ready for the rest dinner provides. Our kids certainly were.

Make sure they rest, but don't let them over nap. An active kid who wakes up at 4:00 for a 5:00 dinner can be nearly as bad as one that skipped the nap entirely.

We had good luck with our two "non-sitters" We had them at Marrakesh in Morrocco, Whispering Canyon, San Angel Inn in Mexico and the Tempura bar in Japan.

does your son like coloring, sticker books, or lego? Or something else small that you can keep in your bag?

I tend to keep a packet of crayons in my bag, and when we sit down dd will draw a picture, or practice writing or something like that while we are waiting. She is much better when she has something to do than if she is just expected to sit.

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter