Rest area lunch ideas?

For our long car trips (and first night at the camp ground) I pack either a prime rib hero and season the bread with a lil olive oil, sea salt and pepper (learned this version from Eataly) or a muffuleta, filled with Italian coldcuts, cheese, and a bottle of giardiniera salad.
I've been known to stop by Central Grocery on my way out of town (New Orleans) and pick up a real deal muffuletta. Parking is always a problem near there so one of us waits in the car while the other goes to get the muffuletta.

highway rest stops typically have BBQ grills

so I pack some charcoal and starter fluid

In the cooler are sirloin steaks and fresh asparagus ....

I pre season and tightly wrap in plastic wrap.

Don't forget some disposable tongs .... (not thongs)

pre packaged salads will be good for several days in a well iced cooler ..... and an unopened dressing bottle is totally safe.

Add a bottle of white wine, some plastic utensils and cups/plates and you have a road stop feast.

In Tennessee, the DOT website specifically says that no grilling or open flames are allowed at any welcome center or rest area. So this may vary from state to state. I'd hate to pack a lovely meal like the one you just described and then not be able to prepare it!

I've been known to stop by Central Grocery on my way out of town (New Orleans) and pick up a real deal muffuletta. Parking is always a problem near there so one of us waits in the car while the other goes to get the muffuletta.
I'd love that opportunity! Closest I can get to your nirvana is to stop by Arthur Avenue in the Bronx and choose some of the best Italian cold cuts still available in NYC. It's a balanced meal tucked between two pieces of bread made for traveling. :smooth:

I'd love that opportunity! Closest I can get to your nirvana is to stop by Arthur Avenue in the Bronx and choose some of the best Italian cold cuts still available in NYC. It's a balanced meal tucked between two pieces of bread made for traveling. :smooth:
Well you still have TONS of great food where you are. I loved the food opportunities when I lived in NY (just a couple of years) and in the San Francisco area (most of my career), but New Orleans holds its own in the food area (and it's so much cheaper).

I just do not get it ....

Stopping for a rest ..... restroom stop .. And a bit of fast Food ,,,

Stop time approx. 45 min. COST $ 40

Yet you will spend $ thousands on Disney tickets & Hotel

STOP Take a Break Spend $ 40 & Enjoy

Driving down Thanksgiving Day may mean limited places open. Some people also prefer to stick with foods they know and enjoy rather than fast food.

When we drive to Georgia we pack sandwiches and chips with a soda each. For our next trip I think I'm going to make chicken the day before and potato salad and have that for lunch during the trip. During our drive down south there are a lot of nice rest areas where we can potty and picnic. If the weather is nasty many of the rest areas have tables inside. We KNOW the quality and safety of the food we pack. Some fast food places are a bit dubious.

We just drove from PA with 4 teenagers . We had cut up fruit ,grapes an apples, veggies and dip . Trail mix and crackers and cheese for snacking in the car and water and juice boxes . I had lunch meat, rolls , sliced tomatoes, lettuce and cheese for sandwiches when we stopped along with pasta salad and chips . We bought a cheap table cloth from dollar tree and paper plates just roll everything up and tossed in in a trash bag . We had little packs of condiments . You could do just about anything . Heck my gang would have eat leftover turkey sandwiches we more than likely would have Thanksgiving early and maybe a few cold side. You can even bring no bake cheesecake jars we just make them in glass jelly jars so we can toss them when done .

highway rest stops typically have BBQ grills

so I pack some charcoal and starter fluid

In the cooler are sirloin steaks and fresh asparagus ....

I pre season and tightly wrap in plastic wrap.

Don't forget some disposable tongs .... (not thongs)

pre packaged salads will be good for several days in a well iced cooler ..... and an unopened dressing bottle is totally safe.

Add a bottle of white wine, some plastic utensils and cups/plates and you have a road stop feast.

Nice!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter