Resort Shower/Bath Configuration

smokeyblue

DIS Veteran
I didn't know if I should ask this board or the resorts board. I thought maybe this board would have specific experience. I have a minor vision problem. I have to wear specialty glasses. When I don't have these glasses on I can get vertigo in an instant and lose my balance. The worst place is the shower. At home I do okay because I have darker ceramic tile and the grout lines provide a point of reference for me to re-acclimate if I get dizzy.

I have a horrible time at hotels. Usually they have light colored surrounds or tile and much brighter lighting than I am used to. I've been lucky that the last few hotels I have stayed at had very nicely placed grab bars. I actually get so dizzy when I'm not in my own bath that I have to hang on to the grab bar when I shower in a hotel The last hotel I stayed in had a corporate rate from my eye doctor. They automatically put patients in a handicapped room. It had a tub with a bench and multiple grab bars. I didn't use the bench, but I held on to those grab bars for dear life! The other hotel I had stayed in had two grab bars, one on the side and one up and down where the shower head was; they were just in the right spot for me to be able to grab one or the other as needed.

So finally to my question. What type of grab bars do they have in the resort bathrooms? Do the regular rooms have a good enough bar that would work or is there a handicapped room type that someone could suggest to me that would work well? I don't want to take up a handicapped room if I don't have to, but I am pretty nervous because I will be doing a solo trip, so falling in the shower would be really bad.

I don't think you should feel at all bad about booking a room with an accessible tub. There are rooms with a roll-in shower, and other rooms with an accessible tub that has grab bars. That sounds like what you need, therefore you are completely in the right to reserve that room. You can also request a bench or chair, though that is just a request and depends on availability; another option is to rent a bath bench from a 3rd party vendor -- Care Medical is good for those needs.

Depending on the theme and decor at your chosen resort, some of the baths do have darker tile/surround in the shower/tub. There are pictures available on the WDW website; I think every resort shows at least 1 picture of the bath, at least all that I have looked at do. That will give you an indication of the theming and decor color if it helps you in your decision.

Enjoy your vacation!

There are grab bars you can get to take with you that work on suction. You can place them where you neede them.

Could you get some vinyl clings and use them in the shower? That would give you a focal point, wouldn't it? We use them on windows to keep birds from smacking into the window, and to keep our special needs kids from bumping into glass doors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter