Resort reservations

tanyab2

Earning My Ears
we are just starting to plan a trip the first of 2020 for 5 days. Thinking of returning to the wilderness lodge.
Last time we went was 2010. I reserved and bought everything through Disney website. We did additional options then. Dining plan and park hopper. Airlines we used miles.
My question is the best choice to find savings through Disney or should I go through travel agent or other websites?
Need to consider:
Resort
Dining plan needed
Park hopper needed
Flight from Texas

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciate.

Frankly, I think the best way to find savings is here. If there are discounts available you will hear about them here.

I think using a TA is personal preference. I used one a few times but I find that I like being in control of my reservations so I choose to make my own, but a good TA can take a lot of stress off od your shoulders.

I would first make a budget for the trip, and spend some time looking at resort choices and restaurants. I always make a "wish" list for the family, and then pare that down. It seems we cannot spend all day every day hopping from one meal to the next. Anyway, this helps me choose a dining plan that meets the needs of my family.

Hoppers? You may or may not need them, but many discounts offered include them, so I always plan my parks to know if we would use them.

I cost out what my total trip costs using the website, and then I cost it in individual componants. Resort. Tickets. Tix with hoppers. Meal plan. It takes a little time but when and if discounts are released, I like to know what every componant costs so when I choose the discount I take the one that is best for us. After that I let the cost go and look at it as a total cost.

I do nto buy tickets from brokers, I use the website. Others find the savings worth it, btu I did not.

I mean, you can definitely save money not booking everything through Disney itself -- you just have to know where to look.

Have you ever considered renting DVC points? There are a couple of websites that can help you do that and that can save a bundle on deluxe resorts -- but that really depends on your party. If you have 4 or fewer people going, then it's important to note that the DVC studios have a queen bed and then a pull-out couch, which different than the regular resort rooms.

There are some travel agencies (we're not allowed to mention their names on the Disboards) that provide rooms at a discount because they're able to book room blocks at convention rates, so they can save you money that way. I just got WL for $266/night for July for my parents. They're also able to offer convention tickets, so you save about 10% on tickets that way.

You may also be able to find rooms discounts through third-party, wholesale websites such as Priceline or Hotwire, but that can get a little complicated with tickets and I don't think you can add the dining plan when booking that way.

We also manage to save a few hundred bucks by using Disney gift cards we buy at a discount either through BJ's wholesale club or with our Target Red Card. This summer, we saved around $500 buying discounted gift cards to pay for everything.

Thanks for the information. It gives me a starting point.
By looking at the calendar, we would have 4 full days. Is that possible to work with seeing Disney? Last time we went, we spent I think 6 full days.

I mean, you can definitely save money not booking everything through Disney itself -- you just have to know where to look.

Have you ever considered renting DVC points? There are a couple of websites that can help you do that and that can save a bundle on deluxe resorts -- but that really depends on your party. If you have 4 or fewer people going, then it's important to note that the DVC studios have a queen bed and then a pull-out couch, which different than the regular resort rooms.

There are some travel agencies (we're not allowed to mention their names on the Disboards) that provide rooms at a discount because they're able to book room blocks at convention rates, so they can save you money that way. I just got WL for $266/night for July for my parents. They're also able to offer convention tickets, so you save about 10% on tickets that way.

Sarah - Thanks for this info. I’ve only used AAA and their deals are no different than Disney.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!