Resort Parking Fees to be enforced

Something I keep seeing is that many of the hotels around Disney are waiving parking fees and resort fees. This could be because I see it on Mousesavers. I sort of find it ironic that these other hotels are dropping those fees. I wonder if they actually heard all the complaining when Disney added parking fees.

Something I keep seeing is that many of the hotels around Disney are waiving parking fees and resort fees. This could be because I see it on Mousesavers. I sort of find it ironic that these other hotels are dropping those fees. I wonder if they actually heard all the complaining when Disney added parking fees.
I noticed this too. Makes me think, knock knock knock, Disney. Knock knock knock, Disney.

What it tells me is that regardless of the parking fees, Disney hotels are staying booked at ultra-high levels, and these hotels are doing everything they can to draw business away from Disney...and probably still not being very successful at doing it.

What it tells me is that regardless of the parking fees, Disney hotels are staying booked at ultra-high levels, and these hotels are doing everything they can to draw business away from Disney...and probably still not being very successful at doing it.

It is not something that would happen overnight but I wouldn't be so sure they aren't having some success. I stay offsite often, and mostly offsite since we experienced Disney security checks. I stay at a wide variety as I know the area well and don't mind trying new places, although I have my requirements. My goal is the best rate for the values I get so I can book another trip sooner than later.

I have found in the last year that it is getting harder to get a room at some places, and for the rates I once got. I don't travel high season and am flexible on arrival/departure dates. When I do stay, because we are night folks we often get back to the room late ............ and I am finding full parking lots. Even with the continued growth of the hotels in the area, the ones I have stayed at at have had good occupancy.

It is not something that would happen overnight but I wouldn't be so sure they aren't having some success. I stay offsite often, and mostly offsite since we experienced Disney security checks. I stay at a wide variety as I know the area well and don't mind trying new places, although I have my requirements. My goal is the best rate for the values I get so I can book another trip sooner than later.

I have found in the last year that it is getting harder to get a room at some places, and for the rates I once got. I don't travel high season and am flexible on arrival/departure dates. When I do stay, because we are night folks we often get back to the room late ............ and I am finding full parking lots. Even with the continued growth of the hotels in the area, the ones I have stayed at at have had good occupancy.

Let me explain what I mean.

I'm sure it's probably helping the offsite hotels that are waving parking fees. But, at the same time, I doubt it's hurting Disney's revenues. For every person that balks at the parking charges, there are 1 or 2 others that don't bat an eye at it waiting to take their place.

Disney is busier than ever before, and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

Not resorts but I see an industry report released at the group’s annual convention on the business page of my local paper that theme park growth was 5 percent this year. Not a drop but it was the smallest growth in the past five years.

The report experience to the Asia-0
Pacific to account for almost 2/3 of global growth.

Not especially a glowing prediction.

Last edited:
Let me explain what I mean.

I'm sure it's probably helping the offsite hotels that are waving parking fees. But, at the same time, I doubt it's hurting Disney's revenues. For every person that balks at the parking charges, there are 1 or 2 others that don't bat an eye at it waiting to take their place.

Disney is busier than ever before, and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .................... completely agree with you. ::yes::

I think Disney's target group is the guest "not in the know" and likely to make this a once in a lifetime or decade trip likely to blow the bank on Mickey ears, churros and $28 cronuts.

And their other target group is DVC buyers. Easy money for Disney.

The offsite resorts have a wide range of guest demographics, but I think a growing one is us Disney resort folks that are just done with the prices compared to what we get. The perks are becoming quite too small to really count anymore.

You are correct that the parks are more crowded than I've ever seen .... and I've been going since day one. I think there are lots of reasons for it, but certainly not because it's a bargain.

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .................... completely agree with you. ::yes::

I think Disney's target group is the guest "not in the know" and likely to make this a once in a lifetime or decade trip likely to blow the bank on Mickey ears, churros and $28 cronuts.

And their other target group is DVC buyers. Easy money for Disney.

The offsite resorts have a wide range of guest demographics, but I think a growing one is us Disney resort folks that are just done with the prices compared to what we get. The perks are becoming quite too small to really count anymore.

You are correct that the parks are more crowded than I've ever seen .... and I've been going since day one. I think there are lots of reasons for it, but certainly not because it's a bargain.

Right now Disney's target group is the first timer family, the big splurge folks, and they know many of these people are not breaking the packages down bit by bit. They are not worrying about the frequent flyers, those who look at WDW as their familiar vacation destination, much like the beach, mountain, etc. folks go to their familiar spot year after year. But they should. Guest retention is a fundamental part of floating during those periods when money is tight and folks stay closer to home or go to less expensive destinations. The parks are more crowded, however I wonder how much of that is due to CM reductions and staffing to a reduced attraction capacity. I have booked our July 2019 vacation in Aruba once again. Even after having upgraded every aspect of our trip, it is going to be a lot less money than a "normal" WDW vacation. I bet others have done the same, or have reduced their discretionary spending while in WDW. These fees have more to do with gaining a commitment from guest to keep all their money onsite rather than increasing resort revenue, IMO, however I firmly believe there is a cost to pay. I have stated before I am outraged by these parking fees, and I do not use a vehicle. There is a vast difference between offering a perk such as or DME to encourage financial commitment, and for penalizing those who choose not to use it. I don't like that tactic.

Right now Disney's target group is the first timer family, the big splurge folks, and they know many of these people are not breaking the packages down bit by bit. They are not worrying about the frequent flyers, those who look at WDW as their familiar vacation destination, much like the beach, mountain, etc. folks go to their familiar spot year after year.
I'm not sure that's true. I live 90 miles from WDW and have been seeing a TON of commercials marketing APs and resort stays to FL residents. I find it surprising, given how crowded the parks have been, but Disney is spending money on ads, so they must see an opportunity there.

I'm not sure that's true. I live 90 miles from WDW and have been seeing a TON of commercials marketing APs and resort stays to FL residents. I find it surprising, given how crowded the parks have been, but Disney is spending money on ads, so they must see an opportunity there.

You are seeing his in your area, so spending some money to keep local guests returning is one thing. When you start looking further afield, you do not see so much of that kind of enticement. Shoot, you no longer have BB pamphlets left in every room to get folks to come back at a discount. It is kind of a "if you know" thing, and not heavily promoted.

I think Disney has not problem reaching for low hanging fruit, but is not interested in looking for the rest of us to make WDW our destination of choice. Either that or they think that we no longer need to have any efforts made to keep us. That is even more insulting, so I prefer to think they are looking elsewhere, rather than taking our vacation dollars for granted.

I don’t know but I think Disney looks at customer lifetime value. Not sure they see it’s worth it to focus much on the local AP holders who go often and don’t spend $$ for big table service meals and souvenirs or book all the big ticket special events.

If they are advertising I guess they have unused rooms?

If they are advertising I guess they have unused rooms?
That's my take on it, as the commercials airing now are of a "Come for the holiday season and enjoy all this holiday stuff, and get an AP so you can come back all year!" theme. The "come back all year" part is a good marketing tool, but it feels like the main goal may be heads in beds. It's a pretty big push, as it's been years since I've seen Disney advertise this heavily around here. In regard to the parking fees, I'd love to find out how effective the advertising actually is once they add in the new parking fees!

That's my take on it, as the commercials airing now are of a "Come for the holiday season and enjoy all this holiday stuff, and get an AP so you can come back all year!" theme. The "come back all year" part is a good marketing tool, but it feels like the main goal may be heads in beds. It's a pretty big push, as it's been years since I've seen Disney advertise this heavily around here. In regard to the parking fees, I'd love to find out how effective the advertising actually is once they add in the new parking fees!

Especially if they actually collect the fees. It’s been hit or miss, may change. Who knows?

Annual Florida resident AP Holder for many years.
Keeping my promise to protest the Resort Parking Money Grab , have let our pass's expire .
No big thing for Disney , but we feel better about it .
See I can’t stay away. I totally agree with you on the parking fees- but I choose to protest by staying offsite when I’m out of DVC points instead of booking a moderate or value. I am keeping my AP, because I know even if I try, I’ll end up back there paying for tickets anyways. But in March we are staying at a friends timeshare at west gate. No parking fees. Then I will be back at AKL on points in September. The fact that I keep my AP has really nothing to do with parking fees at resorts. They aren’t related.

I've read through most of this thread and still have not found an answer to my question...sure it's in here somewhere!
We are staying off-site. We have reservations for a character breakfast at Cape May/Beach Club Resort. We don't have to pay $25 for parking if we have dining reservations, do we? Can anyone answer this definitively? TIA!!

I've read through most of this thread and still have not found an answer to my question...sure it's in here somewhere!
We are staying off-site. We have reservations for a character breakfast at Cape May/Beach Club Resort. We don't have to pay $25 for parking if we have dining reservations, do we? Can anyone answer this definitively? TIA!!
No, the parking fee is for overnight guests. Day guests are exempt.

No, you won't pay to park while you dine. But you'll have to move your car to the theme park parking lot after you finish eating if that is where you are headed afterwards.

Well, it worked on us. I have been going to Disney my entire life. We're relatively local (just head to the coast) and AP holders but no longer stay on property. Once you add in all the extra fees plus parking (and it isn't really included at Fort Wilderness, the prices just went up $20), we just stay off property when we stay at all. I find it ridiculous that my APs have parking included but not for overnight stays. Just my opinion but we changed our reservations from on site to a Lake Buena Vista hotel with free parking from Mousesavers, a nice room, shuttle perks as well as 90 day FP+, less expensive than staying at an All Star resort and almost the same as staying in our tent at Fort Wilderness. We went ahead and renewed our passes for this year, but have stopped staying on property. We do still choose to dine at the resorts, but we have never been harassed for parking for the duration of a meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!